Armateur and mesh settings?

(tutana) #1

What’s the difference in making a envelope or vertex group armateur connect to a mesh?
I have subsurf 3 in the mesh to make it look smooth but I want a sharp bend in the knees and elbows so how is this done so that the thin arms and legs don’t look like spaghetti?

(Duoas) #2

Tolobán had a nice tutorial for this kind of thing, but apparently 2.40 has made it obsolete.

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54061 (2.4x)
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49924 (2.3x)

(tutana) #3

Thanks, I still can’t find out how to make the knees and elbows bend so that they don’t curve.

(Duoas) #4

Are you using 2.4?

Read the first article. Basically, all you have to do is pose your armature so that you get the most pronounced weird deformation, and edit it to fix the problem (while posed). You’ll create a new armature-driven shape key. Thereafter, everytime you move the armature that way, the bend will be repaired.

Don’t be afraid to poke around the example blends provided by Toloban. He usually keeps them simple enough to dissect.

Good luck!

(tutana) #5

I’m now using 2.40. The Wikibook 2.40 tutorial says not to parent the object to armateur the old way using Control - P and only says;
“The clean way to do so is to go in the Editbutton window (F9KEY) and press “Add modifier” in the Modifier panel, then select “armature” in the dropdown menu. Then you’ll get a new modifier “Armature” like the previous picture.”
What do I do after that? How do I connect the bones to the mesh?

(Duoas) #6

Heh, to be honest, I haven’t had time to mess around with 2.40 too much. Once you’ve added the modifier, it should be connected. Does posing the armature not affect the mesh?

(tutana) #7

Posing only effects the bones. :Z

(Duoas) #8

Hmm, I’ll mess with it when I get a chance. But that might be a week. Perhaps Fligh % or someone else here knows better…

[edit]
OK, this is what I’ve learned.

Once you’ve defined both your mesh and armature, select the mesh object and Add Modifier --> Armature. Type in the name of the armature. Be sure to select one of the two buttons below the armature name: Vert.Groups or Envelopes. Unless one is chosen, posing the armature will have no effect. Vert.Groups is for the (pre-2.40) traditional way of deforming a mesh using vertex groups. Envelopes is for the newly-added way which calculates deformations on the fly using volumetric areas (envelopes) to deform the mesh. Whichever you choose, you’ll have to read-up on it.

Did this help?

(tutana) #9

Here:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Advanced_Tutorials/Advanced_Animation/Guided_tour/Mesh/vg

Title: Vertex Groups with Armature
It says:
“Make sure the Mesh have an Armature modifier.
Turn Armature into Posemode.”

But how the hell do you get the armature modifier to the mesh!

(tutana) #10

Sorry, I didn’t notice your recent reply and was getting a little pissed. I have to check that one.

(tutana) #11

That’s the way I was trying to do it. Once I’ve defined both mesh and armature, in Object Mode I hit F9, select the mesh object and Add Modifier - Armature. My skeleton-armatures name is Armature and that’s what I type there after OB and I select Envelope. Then I click Apply and the modifier dissapears. Then I can select Pose-mode only for the skeleton, not the mesh, so only the skeleton-armature can be affected in Pose mode.

(Duoas) #12

Apply is for doing what the ‘Apply Deformation’ script used to do. If you pose your object, then press Apply, you’ll get a deformed object without an armature.

So don’t press Apply. It’ll only work so long as the modifier is attached.

(Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Don’t do that then. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Sorry for the confusion. I imagine this is a question that’ll be asked a lot.

(Fligh) #13

If what you’re saying is that the mesh doesn’t move when you move the bones (the links of the armature) in pose mode, then select the bone(s) and Alt-S to scale the (white) area of influence of the envelopes so that they contain the verts of the mesh.

%<

(tutana) #14

Hey thanks a lot, now it works! Such a little thing after all but that Apply -button looks so obvious because you just have to apply. Have a good day - or night, whatever! :smiley:

(tutana) #15

[quote=“Fligh %”]If what you’re saying is that the mesh doesn’t move when you move the bones (the links of the armature) in pose mode, then select the bone(s) and Alt-S to scale the (white) area of influence of the envelopes so that they contain the verts of the mesh.
>>>>

The thing I was doing wrong was I was clicking the Apply-button and the mesh didn’t connect to the bones at all. (What kind of apply is that?)

(Duoas) #16

Heh heh heh
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/sago/BigRedButton.jpg

(Appologies, Sago).