Armature and bones

Armatures
I get the armature pointing up the y axis. I cannot get any other situation?
I use 2.4 on a pc windows xp 64
Also if I try to add bones, they generate separately pointing up the y axix…
Can somebody explain me what I do wrong?
Thanks
Yves

It sounds like your in object mode when you are creating armatures.

Press Tab to enter Edit mode then you will be able to add in bones joined toghter.

I also suggest you go to www.blender3d.com. Or the wiki blender and find some armature tutorials.

Hi and Thank you for you sugestion.
I went on the wiki site and found some info about armatures and bones.
however whatever the mode, object or edit, I do not seem to be able to attach a bone unless I do an extrude.
Second when I have a sequence of bones, and when I hit the tab key, the automatically point up the y axis…?
I don’t seem to be able the keep them horizontal??
I know it’s strange but that’s what I am dealing with at this time…
Any sugestion on this?
Thanks again for your help.
Yves

however whatever the mode, object or edit, I do not seem to be able to attach a bone unless I do an extrude.

Using the extrude meathod is the standard way of creating an armature chain. But if you have two bones already created then look in the "Armature Bones’ panel and you can choose which bone you want to set as the selected bone’s parent. After you select the parent there is a “Con” button that shows up. If this button is activated then the bones become connected.

Second when I have a sequence of bones, and when I hit the tab key, the automatically point up the y axis…?

When entering the edit mode, the bones snap back into their default pose. Move the bones to their correct position while in edit mode, not pose mode. Moving bones in pose mode is for when you are animating.

Try reading here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Advanced_Tutorials/Advanced_Animation/Guided_tour/Armature/edit

BTW: post these types of questions in the “Blender General” forum.

This should be in the anim forum.

The Y-Axis is the Roll-Axis. If you could arbitrarily change it (local) then it would have to snap to either the X or Z-Axii, no in-betweens (or just scrap roll-axis all together and have no local convention and no need for Pose mode [actually, no need for armatures then, just use latices or curves], no chain convention and no import/export predictability).

The reason it snaps when you hit Tab is that those are the local and global positions of the bones, their heads, tails and roll angles, in Edit mode; the Rest Position in Pose Mode. Edit mode is necessary to set the positions of bones, their relative lengths and their relationships to one another. That’s all you really need to do in Edit mode. Pose mode is like Edit mode for meshes and curves and it takes all Bone Translations as a Relative (local) measurement or value from the Rest Position. Object mode only evaluates the Global Translation of the Armature, not bones.

%<

thanks for the precisions I got it now… it works.
Thank you for that…
yves