armature or object movement

When moving an object forward that is rigged is it best to apply the forward motion to the armature or the object? Does it really matter?

digiman

I would create a “bounds” object (probably a cube) around both the armature and the object. Child/Parent the armature to the bounds. Set the armature and the object to “Ghost” so you don’t get into any collision pickles. Then I’d set up gamelogic to move the bounds object.

Hope this helps.

Here what i did I select all three, armature, object and bounds box Ctrl P select parent make the armature and object ghost and try to move the bounds box, but now the bounds box which is now a rigid object just passed throughother objects and the armature ceases to move in the bounds box

digiman

Ummm…

Ok. First of all, you only need to parent the armature to the bounds box. This is because the object is already the child of the armature. So, select armature, then bounds, and hit CTRL+P.

Next select armature, and make it a ghost. Do the same for the object.

Let me know if this works.

I did what you said now the armature moves like it should and the bounding box collision works but the object it self falls out of the bounding box as the box moves( i should tell you that i removed the motion logic that i had for the armature and for the object since it is parented. that was my question originally about where to add forward motion

When i add motion to the armature as well (same speed) the object flies out from the front of the box. Something is wrong

digiman

I don’t think I’m explaining this right. Why don’t you upload your blend, I’ll make it work, and then you can study it.

I made a simple example on the way I like to set things up.

Attachments

Parenting.blend (149 KB)

I will look at Excalaberr’s blend first then i will upload my file if i can’t get it to work. Robo3dguy, you are explaining well, it’s very easy to understand what you are saying. i know the problem is with me i am still just a beginner

digiman

Try the blend I made a small change to excalaberr’s . If you press w or s the object moves hits the other object and goes out of control which is pretty much wha happens to mine That is the main problem i would like to fix I raised up the man object because my objects are floating

digiman

Attachments

Parenting2…blend (150 KB)

If the mesh is parented to the armature, then you should apply the movement to the armature…I suppose you can use other objects and stuff…it just makes it more complicated…

Select the empty, and set it to dynamic instead of ridged body

Hope this helps.

Ex.

Ex, it does not help My objects are floating not on the ground With rigid i can lock out z axis so the object will not fall, dynamic makes it fall I try to add a positive force to keep dynamic from falling but that does not help What i did was use rigid body and lock out rot x,y,z that seems to help but have not tried that on my objects yet just your blend

digiman

I only asked because the Yo frankie game is parented and they are more experienced but i would like to know why it is better

digiman