Armature twisting mesh (a little too much)

I used blender’s armature to rig a spiderman model I downloaded at tf3dm.com, but when it came to a specific pose (hands above head) the upper arms seems to twist a little bit too much. I tried fixing it in weight painting but it didn’t seem to do much, so I’m thinking it could be a rigging issue. For any experienced riggers and animators here, is there a “special” way to rig a model that could maybe prevent this from happening?
Any other pose is fine with minimal to no unwanted effects though.

Here’s the blend:
practice fight.blend (5.22 MB)
here’s what it looks like in case you don’t want the blend:

I was thinking of just avoiding this pose or hiding it with camera angles and movement but since it’s a spiderman model, seeing this move/pose is kind of important :stuck_out_tongue:

I see from your file you have a pretty dang nice Rigg going so…
I will assume your not a beginner in Rigging…

you need to place an extra bone between your Shoulder bone and your Upper arm bone…
give it about 6 bendy segments and let it bend…
I suggest your rename your current ‘Shoulder’ bone to something like ‘Clavicle’ bone then name your new bone Shoulder

the Hierarchy would be Chest > Clavical > Shoulder > Upper Arm > Lower Arm… etc…
you want to leave the Clavical and Shoulder bones animateable specifically for tweaking situations like the one you have here…

Adding in a bone after you have already weight painted can be tricky…

Remember you can use the ‘W’ 'special menu to add in a bone after you done weight painting…

There also seems to be some problem with your Mesh not having it’s Location Rotation and Scale fully Applied in Object mode…

be sure you do this or you may have some problems…

also… you don’t seem to have any Root bone for your Armature…
not sure if that is a good idea…

Thanks for the tips! I’ll look into maybe rigging it again, but could you elaborate on the “W” special menu? Did you mean subdividing an existing bone?
I actually am a beginner at rigging, which is why I forgot to add in the root bone and applying the loc/rot/scale XD Would it be too late to add one in now? Or should I just continue on and remember the next time I rig?

could you elaborate on the “W” special menu? Did you mean subdividing an existing bone?

well you can subdivide say the shoulder bone or the upper arm bone to get that extra bone that I was talking about…

but over all… no… I was speaking of after you have created and connected the extra shoulder bone using the ‘W’ menu to automatic weight that one bone into the Mesh’s Vertex weight groups…

however it might be easier to just delete the Vertex groups and the Armature modifier on the Mesh to and do a new Ctrl+P > Automajic weights…

Would it be too late to add one in now?

Nope…

I actually am a beginner at rigging

I always recommend Nathan Vegdahl’s … “Humane Rigging” coarse to anyone who is new to Rigging in Blender…

This series will get you up to speed in nothing flat…
I highly recommend it…
the YouTube site doesn’t have the entire series on there but it certainly has more than one needs to become proficient at Rigging the Blender way…

Also realize that Nathan was involved with the design of the Meta Rigg (the Riggify Rigg) project so your actually using some of his Rigging Skills already…

Thanks for the help! It looks like it’s working the way I want it to, I just have to tinker with the weights a bit. :smiley:

Just wanted to reply real quick. But it isn’t tricky at all to do it, as long as you know what you are doing.

From 2.8, you first uncheck “Lock Object Modes” under edit and then you select the armature and then shift + select the mesh, then you go to weight paint mode and then you go to ctrl or shift (Not at my computer right now) and select a bone and then in the weight menu, select “Automatic from selected bones”, then done.