Armatures!

ok, for about the millionth time, how can i make armatures? i know how to rig them and everything, but how the heck can i make them work with the model? every time a parent one, part of the model stays in place, and the rest just stretches away from the vertice. i want the complete model to be able to move…

PLEASE! I NEED HELP!

Either you need to assing more carefully vertices to the correspodent vertex group or you can weight paint your model.Take a look at this
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Upper_body_weight_painting

that doesn’t work…

i just need some direct help…

use a simple setup:

1 cube and an armature with only one bone (normaly named ‘bone’:wink:

create a ‘Vertex Group’ of all 8 vertices of the cube, named ‘bone’

add to the cube a modifier armature and enter the name of your armature and enable
only the option for vert-groups, disable for ‘Envelopes’

then you should be able to move the single bone in pose-mode
and the whole cube will move with it.

same way goes for an armature with more bones,
there has to be one bone, which will move all bones and there are no vertices of your
mesh without full influence of any bone.

So, if you move the main-bone in pose-mode (that moves all other bones) you will automatically move all vertices together.

Look for tutorials, most time this bone is called ‘root’
(and there are fully rigged examples, if you look close at those, you notice it)

er…
a link to a tut would be nice…

he just gave you a mini tutorial, couldn’t be more clear than that, and above it is a link to a tutorial that has proven to work for lots of people. be patient and follow it.
It’s nice you know how to “rig them” as you call it, but if you don’t grasp the idea of “skinning” making the body follow the skeleton as described by BOTH tutorials posted here, then I get the impression you just don’t want to learn, you’d prefer an “instant rig and skinned character” button.

if your mesh has a vertex group that has the same name as a bone in your rig, then the vertices that are assigned to that vertex group will move/transform with the bone that has the same name when you move it.
That wasn’t very hard now was it?

images help me…

and i’ve tried the weight painting before. it worked, but the vertices were still messed up, and the painting covers to large of an area…

then adjust the brush size, look at the interface when you paint. there are brush settings there. You can also find them when you press “N” in the 3d view when you paint. The “N” key calls up a basic transform/properties box. It shows all the relevant data to the mode you’re in.

Sure I could make a few images, but you really should be able to cope with what is
allready told here. I do assume you know a fair deal of navigating and modeling with blender already?

yes.

i’ll try it.

hi m8 ime pretty rubbish at blender but i can rig using weight paint i will make u a short tut if u like