Armory Engine Feedback: Armory at Blender Conference!

Bishop, are you still aviable there?:slight_smile:
The project ODH is basicly a reboot of that game and still requires similar modelling. Itā€™d be great if you could come and join us in this exciting project;)

Your work looks really impressive! I like the ideas the project is based on, especially counting on mobile platform support, tho the whole thing seems like crazy amout of work.

Indeed some of the people will compare this engine to some of the industry standard engines like Unity/UE. Fortunately, the best profit it brings (which is 3d graphics software tightly incorporated into workflow, here Blender) wonā€™t be achieved in most of this engines, and thatā€™s a great opportunity for the whole project. I think such engine could have a chance to appeal significant amount of people looking for more complete solution, like e.g. small indie teams.

For each Blender object you can specify a set of traits(ie components), which can be used to instantiate Haxe classes.

This actually sound a lot like the Component pattern used in Unity. Is it the case in your project? Or the component you mentioned is not the actual design pattern?

Again, amazing work!

@adriansnetlis

Many thanks for nice feedback. The reflections are not dependant on geometry complexity as they are ray-marched using data from gbuffer. Obviously this has a drawback that only things visible on screen will get reflected, so itā€™s not a holy grail of reflections, but can still offer some decent results :slight_smile: I run it using Core i5 and integrated Intel HD card(5100 if I recall), which I consider to be quite weak. Will try to provide a live WebGL demo in the future. Still, there is a place for more optimizations, I can pack the gbuffer tighter and also save quite some instructions in the shaders. A forward render pipeline can be used too, suitable for mobile.

Will check out MārtiņŔ work and try to get in touch with him, thanks for letting me know!

OK! This sounds amazing. I have GeForce GT 610. In comparasions it seems that your card is even a bit better, even though itā€™s integrated:D
It has lower core frequency, but more cores and better technology. Overally the results may be very similar meaning that itā€™d run kind of good even on my computer. And that means that youā€™ve done amazing work here.
I canā€™t even imagine how would it work if it used a non-screen-space method for reflections. But Iā€™m sure that itā€™s not meant for realtime yet, so this is the maximum.
I will inform MārtiņŔ about this;)

This is so cool! Canā€™t wait to see where this goes.

@Mumrik
Gratitude, will keep that in mind as a priority!

@BPR
Noted the great logic nodes suggestions. :slight_smile:

@adriansnetlis
I got in touch with Martins, thanks for the introduction, he looks like a great guy.

@acloudyskye
Welcome. :slight_smile:

@tito91
Ah, your post appeared out of nowhere, was probably waiting approval and I did not notice it. Appreciate that you tuned in! Yes - the design pattern for composing logic are components, but the basic structure of objects found in Blender is preserved - a light is a light, but you can still easily attach any traits/components you may want to it.

I like having the Blender capabilities readily available at all times. I also noticed this is something other engines are seriously experimenting with - CryEngine is building its own tool for creating meshes and I saw Epic giving a grant to ProBuilder, which is a tool for building geometry inside an editor. That said, while Blender was and still is an essential tool for working with 3D game engines, in the future it may be getting more competition from third party game engine itself, at least for small-scale modelling. Thankfully Blender has quite a head start in this area. The realtime rendering/content in general is a huge part that Blender could excel at but is lacking currently. I want a viable open source alternative on this front, that is all this project is about.

Did a few more videos, pardon the 480p resolution, as mentioned before it is running and being recorded on an integrated intel card. :wink: That said, I started optimizing the gbuffer for deferred path further, position is already reconstructed from depth. I incorporated octahedron normal encoding, and can pack roughness/metalness into single float. That means the deferred renderer can run using only two float textures, resulting in low bandwidth usage. :slight_smile: Obviously you can extend this if you need to pack more data at a cost of higher bandwidth usage. Still, have some more tricks to do!

Big Buck Bunny

3D GUI

Attachments

Wow!! I canā€™t believe this was made in BGE!!! Nice job!!!
By the way, can I have the file?? itā€™s really cool!

@kitebizelt

This is an alternative engine built for the nodes similar to Cycles, hope you are not disappointed. Still, there are interesting projects for BGE too, I hear a lot about UPBGE, may be worth checking out. :slight_smile:

It has very nice light, that UI is that something youā€™ve programmed or is it textures? Looking forward to seeing how the UI will look.

3D gui looks great! Canā€™t wait to see more demos, not to mention tinkering with the addon myself :wink:

Yes - the design pattern for composing logic are components, but the basic structure of objects found in Blender is preserved - a light is a light, but you can still easily attach any traits/components you may want to it.

Thatā€™s great - I enjoy working with such mechanism in Unity, it will surely do the job in your engine.

Wow, this is looking awesome! Whilst Iā€™m not personally that interested in making games in Blender, I do use Blender for making game assets, and the ability to quickly preview them in a capable viewport like this is enticing. I also agree with what you say about it being good to have alternative workflows to Unity and Unreal instead of trying to clone them. I think for making small prototypes or other interactive works, your project will be excellent for many people. For instance, if I was working on architectural renders in Blender, being able to show them off in real-time directly in Blender would be amazing.

By the way, do you have motion blur in the last video? You really are adding a lot of nice features!

Although I donā€™t know how the Blender Foundation look at work created by community members when they are working on updates, I hope they are looking at your work (as well as that of the guy working on the PBR viewport) closely for Blender 2.8, since a capable new viewport is very high on the list of planned new features.

@Mumrik
Yup, itā€™s a ā€˜regularā€™ UI library I made a while ago. The UI is rendered into a texture and engine handles translating a ray from mouse coords onto a plane where UI is rendered, making it live/controllable in a 3D space. Any UI library could be hooked up, but wanted to have at least the basics included for now. :slight_smile: Have to mention there is still not any visual UI designer built it though.

@tito91
Thanks, motivation boost!

@Mr_Flamey
Happy to hear you like the progress so far. The motion blur is enabled, but maybe needs a higher intensity - some people get sick when itā€™s too obvious, hard to tune it. The setting will be available up to developer(and player if developer exposes it) of course. :slight_smile: My fingers are crossed for a capable viewport, it looks like a daunting task, even more so the Blender codebase is huge and some parts are hard to manage. Hope everything goes as planned.

Spend all week optimizing and polishing stuff up, got almost twice as fast in some cases. Here is a compete deferred renderer path with tons of post-processing composed purely with nodes, easily tuneable by developer. The forward and deferred path will come bundled in, so it is not required to mess with those either.

If you are into shader programming, you know that we need to ā€˜ping-pongā€™ two render targets for post-processing effects. There is now a nifty little check-box, which letā€™s you act like you can draw and read from render target at the same time. :wink:

The renderer is now also (finally) fully HDR enabled, boxes follow. :slight_smile:

Attachments

Iā€™ll just drop this here*

@BPR
Great stuff, keep them coming:)

Finally wrote a more complete introduction of the game engine, if someone is up for a longer read, check it out here.

Attachments

WOW! The descripting is cool. And itā€™s using the Cycles interface for logic? It seems so great. Maybe this could be the new BGE in 2.8?

Yeah, this all looks and sounds really great; I really like the idea of using Haxe to maximize efficiency and cross-platform compatibility without forcing specific languages. Howā€™s packaging coming along? Like, is it easy to get the engine, or does it require downloading tons of files or compiling it yourself, or what? Will you put the source up on GitHub or anywhere else? And have you thought about what to call the engine?

How have i only just seen this thread?? This has blown my mind!! Absolutley staggering work lubos!
I couldnā€™t actually believe some of the images you were posting were real!
This is definatley an amazing step up from BGE in my opinion, iā€™ve been waiting for something like this for a loooong time!
Keep up the great work! i canā€™t wait for youā€™re next update :slight_smile:

adriansnetlis - yeah man, it would definatley be an incredible thing if this was to be intergrated into the 2.8 build :slight_smile: fingers crossed some of the devs might stumble upon lubosā€™s work and like what they see :smiley:

I went and pulled a copy from the github, but did not have any luck getting blender to recognize it as an addon (I am confused about the folder structure). Any chance for adding something to the ā€˜readme.mdā€™ to give people who want to test it a head-start? And, well, the docs donā€™t really add muchā€¦

@solarlune:

@lubos:
The github link on http://cyclesgame.org/ does not work
I have forwarded information about this to a potentially interested third party.

Man, Iā€™m very late to this party. What exactly am I looking at? Iā€™ve read through this thread, but I have to admit I havenā€™t fully understood the ultimate goal here. Before downloading and spending hours trying to figure out if it is what I think it is, can someone summarize, or correct my summary: itā€™s effectively a ā€œgameā€ engine / renderer, but implemented as an addon, that takes its input meshes/animation data/lights directly from Blender and its material data from Cycles nodes?

If this is roughly correct, then it answers a question I posed in a thread a few months ago, and I am THRILLED that someone is finally doing it. If Iā€™m totally off base - then, ah well, you canā€™t always get what you want. :slight_smile:

Ladies and Gentlemen!! ā€¦BGE took the professional game engine developer with many years of experience. WOW!! ,lubosā€¦my neighbor-brother, Thanks for what you are doing, such a great job for BGE!! ā€¦you fulfilling the dream of many BGE users.