Armory Engine Feedback: Armory at Blender Conference!

Wow, there is so much energy in this thread, so many great people. I can barely keep up! :smiley: Thanks everyone for motivating this project further. The logo images popping up are great - I am afraid that BF might not like to have it’s logo shape mutated though. Calling it by my name is not my style I think (but extremely flattering), as I secretly hope this will become a project that everyone can take and use/modify to their needs, and authors name implies it’s ‘his’ thing. Also, the project uses so many tools put together by other talented people, wouldn’t want to discredit that. Putting the Blade on the list though:) The other one I recently got is Armory. Both Blade and Armory names are non-similar to well known engines as far as I know. I like both, Blade is easier, Armory is a bit more different and implies a place, where everyone can arm up their games. Still focusing on engine development for now to keep going, will deal with naming on the release. :slight_smile:

As for the external/internal talk, I think it depends on the perspective. From the end user, game developer view, all the work is being done in Blender and a code editor(or Blenders integrated text editor, at a cost of features). There is no need to assembly a complete game scene in a different tool. From the engine development point, the Blender C++ source code is (purposely) not being modified, to keep development swift and not depend on the development cycle of Blender itself. The Blender could be forked and engine baked into it, but for now there was not enough good reasons to do that - you just drop in the add-on into regular Blender installation and everything gets set up for you. Also, as I got a message from BPR, I have no problems sharing the useful bits with BGE too.

@Moguri:
Will definitely look at brte, sounds better and better.

@xy.exe:
He, was afraid to not over-tune it. In a capable artists hands and proper setting of uniforms it should hopefully present even better results.

@quickmind:
That would be unfortunate indeed. If the thing goes paid in the start, it will be a single package, don’t want to divide the project and people using that. There also won’t be any silly mandatory splash screens(appreciated if the developer chooses to include one, but at their own will). As said, the intention is to only keep engine development going.

@elmeunick9:
I would go mad if I had to implement sounds, joysticks and similar.:slight_smile: For the low level, library called Kha is utilized. Animations/skinning are handled but at a basic level for now, both CPU and GPU skinning is in. You can check the ‘lue’ repository for that if you want. The LOD is in progress right now, so you are a spot on here. Hope to have this ready soon. A short demo video of Kha controlled with gamepad, running on XBOX ONE:

@Frederick D:
If we are realistic in regards to blueprints long ways will need to be walked. Scenes and objects are used, yes. All of your points are valid concerns - I admit, these things will not be perfect from day one. The .blend files are not parsed by game, but the game developer is only concerned with .blend files. In the background game ready assets are being generated in a custom format so everything is able to run in real-time as efficiently as possible. License is as explained in the introduction, a Blender add-on feeds data into game engine, there is no Blender Player used. If there are still concerns in this regard please shoot, as this is an important part. glTF format - if there is a Blender importer, you can use that in engine. If there is exporter, you can transfer it out. ASTC and other GPU texture formats - yes! Early stages, but totally yes, very important part. …Gears is cool too, damn it. :slight_smile:

And some news time, there was a request for toon shader support, basics are in now. The outline is ugly, eventually it will be handled properly and moved into ‘compositor pass’, making it also usable with any other render path, so disregard that for the moment.

Attachments

Another one in the works, support for the ocean modifier running in real-time. Still have to tune the colors, but for now the results are this. Video along with more under the hood details will come too, have to reserve time for that. :o

Attachments

And lastly, preliminary support for polygonal light sources! Using the very recent ‘Real-Time Polygonal-Light Shading with Linearly Transformed Cosines’ technique (also posted in this topic by BPR earlier).

First results follow, as with the ocean modifier - will work out the video too.

Attachments

Wow. Fantastic work.

Wow… this is amazing!.. The Toon shader looks great ya a bit ruff but still amazing and the water is great also. The only thing im worried about is learning a new programing language to work with this engine… but hey if it must be done then it must be done.

Awesome stuff man! This is just getting better and better!

The polygonal light sources just look phenomenal! As usual, outstanding work.

The ocean modifier looks so good! can’t believe the amount of functionality you are adding to this engine! You are a true inspiration :smiley:

Keep up the staggeringly fast work! Looking forward to testing this. I haven’t been this excited since i was 7 at christmas! haha :slight_smile:

Looks Great! Are you using deffered rendering and lighting for this?

Incredible. Love this work so far.

Wow! Water looks amazing, can’t wait for the video. Please don’t use Gears as a name though, because it might be confused with Gears of War games in a search engine, so when people are looking for discussions on your game engine they might get mixed results.

Blender Game Core ?

Blender Game Interface ?

Blender Game Design Environment (BGDE)

Nice features I’ll play Steve Jobs and say that user friendliness above everything else, that’s what will sell it. Lubos if you want an UI design for the game engine, I’ll gladly make one for you free of charge. I’m quite capable of making good layouts, I’m often frustrated at how programmers think. They tend not to think of things in a visual manner and therefore things are often quite logical but not very visually intuitive. Look at Zbrush for example, great program but the UI is terrible and while it’s possible to redesign it which is what I’ve done you shouldn’t have to.

For example since most people are right handed you would put all the most used tools at the right side of the screen. Then there is composition of the layout, the rule of thirds. The 3D space should ideally be about two thirds or 66% of the screen. The two programs to date that I think have are really well designed is sculptris and artrage.

/uploads/default/original/4X/8/3/c/83c163b6e00cd8788299abe12b8b3eb9d2b820fe.jpgstc=1
It doesn’t beat photoshop in features but if only photoshop had this kind of UI. Come to think of it imagine if a game engine had a similar look to what we see above. Since this engine won’t be able to compete with unreal or unity it needs a good easy to use UI for people to be using it above unreal or unity.

Attachments

No more name suggestions! This is the last thing to worry about and I’m sure Lubos will think of something.

The amount of mouse movement needed to navigate such a ‘ui friendly’ program will easily make it redundant. Unreal and unity have the upper hand to bge for performance, export options and licensing. Once the cycles engine has these 3 things sorted you can worry about UI. If you can’t use Blender I don’t see why people would use the BGE or this cycles engine.

To Lubos: Amazing work, Every new posts seems to be more impressive than the last!

Could you have it so user can copy lod settings to a selected object in viewport when you working on a videogame?

…engine logo designs ideas/test:)

Attachments

I vote for Boaty McBoatface, the game engine.

p.s Nice work on the engine.
You’re sure you don’t want to stick with python as a scripting language? It’s a very user friendly language and most people associate Blender with Python.

Maybe I’m daft but this will this be seperate from the blender program? It won’t be a modified blender game engine but an external program opening outside of blender, or just an addon that will change all the options like when you change the rendered to the cyles renderer?

an addon, that feeds data to a external program*

External program, but using Blender as the GUI so unless you go for the technical stuff it would just feel like it’s a modified Blender. Or that’s the idea I think.

What is the scripting language than? C ++?

C++ isn’t a scripting language. He is using Haxe