Arrays Sketching script (v0.6 alpha)

Thanks for your fast answers

i understand that the first video was more about showing what it can do and may be not how to use it

so i think you should make another or 2 small video like 10 minutes max each

and where you could show the whole screen witht the button selection and action happening in 3D viewport
in first video just add a plane and do your stuff but show what buttons your using on the video
that way peoples can see it and it makes easier to understand how to and the sequence of events to get the results

and for the second video give details on how you did the other big object at the end of the video which look amazing and very fast to do

and i can see how to use the grease pencil no problem with that
but good idea to include some references for this anyway

nice work man and do like the rabbit keep going
happy blendering

Nevermind the problem, was a silly mistake on my side. I need to sleep now, but will give it a more serious go tomorrow. This is really a great way to create base meshes for sculpting, and will make the process so fun that it’ll allow me to overcome my lazyness.
I can’t thank you enough for this. :slight_smile:

poaaaaaaaaaaaaaar,
amazing, I really wonder what gonna be the next step,
great great job

Stunned, really one of the best and coolest things I have seen coded in Python for Blender. I have made some things in 2.49 but 2.5 seams to be so powerful. I really see lots of possibilities with this not just not as “Zspheres” but even more for modelling. Power cables or steam vents on a steampunk/shi-fi thing, hair? I will be following this, count on that.

This very very very very very very very cooooool!!! Great job! Thank you very much!)
This as ZSphere’s in Z-Brush, but this BSphere’s for Blender!)))
I’m very happier now!)

such a powerful script, thanks for posting the tutorial video links to the vimeo’s on grease pencil usage in 2.5, helped a lot when getting into this script. And again, WOW, great work on this, hope someone posts images of some of their tests with the script on the thread.

eclectiel, ur a genius, this is awesome, ur awesome, one of the biggest ideas in blender!!! But i have a problem, i try to run the script, but i dont know if i am doing it correctly or i have to install the script somewhere. I have python 3, and well using blender 2.5, but the thing is that once i try to run the script an error appears saying “python script fail, look in the console for now, unknown location…” bla bla bla. so i dont know if u or someone could help me… i really wanna try it!!!

Thanks, gald you like it. If you’re running an older 2.5 version like Alpha0 try a newer build from graphicall.org. As for SVN 26510 everything seemed to work fine.

The simple steps to be sure you’re doing everything right would be:

• open the included Blend file.
  • run the script at the top-left.
  • create an object and select it.
  • start drawing strokes.
    (also, if you haven’t yet, check the included PDF for additional help)

Try that and let me know if anything goes wrong. Also some info on the 2.5 revision number you’re using would help.

eclectiel thanks!!! It works perfectly with the new svn, such an a amazing script!!! There are lots of ideas that comes into my mind. Hope it could be added into blender someday!!! Keep with the good work!!

Eclectiel: this was totally unexpected; adding to the coolness/sweetness of this feature.

that is so impressive, must download must test…

i will be glad to see this integrated to official blender in next release,
when it will be included to blender official release?
hey Eclectiel … : ) good job

Hmm… that looks very cool. Excellent job! :slight_smile:
I have always been interested in the coding side of Blender, so if someone is willing to point me in the right direction, I would love to use this as my learning project and try to implement it using a more efficient and proper algorithm.

Edit: I know this would be quite ambitious, but I am still willing to try to start something… I doubt I would succeed though :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome script! But convert to mesh does not work for me, nothing happens when clicking the buttons. Am i the only one? My build number is 26741 and i am on ubuntu…

Very nice script. No idea how I managed to miss this thread for over a week, but thanks to the BlenderNation article I finally found it.

Some suggestions (tested on version 26750):

• The operator buttons don’t have proper tooltips and default to some nonsense about rendering jobs. Just add a bl_description with the same text as the bl_label and it will be solved.
  • When you run the script in a normal .blend and try to convert the stroke to an array (D+G), you get an error KeyError: ‘key “A_SK_brush_default” not found’ in line 303. This is caused because the script can’t find the standard brush and can be solved by appending it into the scene. This is however tedious, so perhaps it would be possible to have the script add the default brush to the scene when it is run.
  • When first converting from stroke to array it might be nice to automatically enable glsl drawing and textured view.
  • Mirror Y and Mirror Z?
  • ob.materials is replaced with ob.material_slots, so lines 865-867 have to be replaced with the following to get it fully working.
if len(bpy.data.objects[self.main_object.name].material_slots) > 0:
    bpy.ops.object.material_slot_add()
    bpy.data.objects[bpy.context.object.name].material_slots[0].material = bpy.data.objects[self.main_object.name].material_slots[0].material
  • After converting the array to a mesh there are still 2 type of objects parented to the base object, but the script toggles their visibility to off, so you’ll only notice them in the outliner. They are the curves basename.SKD# and the meshes basename.SKS# Why do you keep them around and not just delete them?

Loolarge: you need to select the base-object before you press the Convert to Mesh buttons.

Eclectiel: Keep up the good work!

Sweeeeeeet.

Looks quite a lot like ZSketch + ZSpheres in ZBrush. Well done! Along with the standard sculpting it can become a great prototyping tool in the future.

I tried it and it really seem to be usefull. It was a bit complicated but for now it doesn’t bother me.

However in the future there could be more object types. Next to objects, lamps and armatures, Scetch objects. There could also be one more mode called Scetcing mode next to the object mode, edit mode, sculpt mode, etc, etc…

The Scetch object would have more than just one curve/stroke inside of it and in the scetch mode you could delete certain strokes and add new ones. In the edit mode you could get access to the actual curve points.

Adding a stoke should work like the grease pencil but instantly after the button is lifted the speres(/brushes) are made(/used) and after than it can be edited to fit the existing form. Like size for an example. Also by highlighting different strokes(/spheres) you could change the basic properties of the selected stroke. When highliting a stroke(/spheres) and going into the edit mode you can access the curve points.

When in the object mode and scetch object is selected, the tools bar should have the option to make a mesh out of the current shape, etc…

The sphere schetching thing and brushes, + start/end custom shapes, could be the main part of the scetch objects. But you could also include your own small objects to the shape one object at a time.

I could use scetch models in more places than just in sculpting.

So… (In the long run) What would you say about this? Or would it be just too much to have a whole new object and mode dedicated just to this? And can it be even done within a reasonable time?

WOW…That is amazing, and after all the problems that I have had today trying to script for 2.49, maybe I should cut my losses and try coding for 2.5 instead.

@Crouch, is the full api for 2.5 out yet?

can anyone give a clue to the clueless as how this work? I can’t get this to work at all here are my steps thus far.

1. Open new blend file, delete default cube
  2. open two text windows, one with with ArraySketch script open and the other with ArraySketch_hotkeys.
  3. run ArraySketch script than run ArraySketch_hotkeys
  4. add an empty to the scene
  5. select empty
  6. press and hold D-key than draw curve
  7. press D + G key ~ nothing happens

I know I have probabley missed lots of steps and misunderstood plenty but how do you get this to work. My intention is to try and do this in a clean blend file without using the default file provided but even when I miss with that file I can’t seem to get things to work.

thanks in advance