Ars Omnia Vincit

I’ve spent a couple of days working with Mandelbulb in order to get this fractal city, and the best part of a week learning about compositing and tweaking this scene.

The tiger is blenderman95’s and can be found here. The alien is Charletto’s and can be found here. The easel is Grue’s, and can be found here.

Besides the fractal, which was built in Mandelbulb, antialiasing of said fractal (a sort of) was done in Photoshop, as Mandelbulb doesn’t allow for any, unfortunaltely.

Although I achieved what I set out for (learning how to insert 3D models in 2D images, learning the basics about compositing), and am satisfied with the result, I do appreciate any constructive criticism.

It looks cool but i wouldnt call it a city also why is there a 2d looking tiger? and some other weird thing

It looks more like some surreal temple than an actual city, but I imagine having a highly structured environment without a lot of repeating is easier said than done with Mendelbulb (an interesting program which can generate scenes of incredible detail, but remains a little lacking in the rendering department).

Also, I’m wondering if the program can also generate a proper background for the back of the image rather than just white.

Now that you mention it, i f I zoom in I can see in the tiger hind legs do exhibit the 2D deterioration effect. Thanks for that. I could try to work with a wider camera in order to solve the problem, but initial tests show that the perspective would be bungled. I’ll try. I tried to use exactly the same sort of lighting on the models as Mandelbulb uses on the fractal (city, temple, Christmas balls storage room, you name it). Still, the small alien artist seems to be correctly lighted, and I believe the artificial look for the tiger has something to do with its fur.

As for the lacking capabilities of rendering with Mandelbulb, I couldn’t agree more. The only background capabilities it has are gradients. Mine goes from sky blue up top to dark gray on the bottom, briefly going into white in the middle. That’s where the windows fall, unfortunately.

Anyway, thanks a a lot for the comments.