Article: Silo and Blender

Hello, I’m new to modeling and trying out Blender and Silo to see the differences. Both are highly regarded for modeling.

You can find my thoughts on my website in an article titled “Modeling in Blender and Silo.”

link http://boder.us

I hope you enjoy it. Feel free to spank me if say anything wrong. It will be updated frequently so stay tuned on this WIP.

Edit: Creating Outline of Topics, Restructuring Later

I’ve done a bunch of work on the article.

Reorganization and proofreading is still needed.

You should note which program is which in the proportional editing (watch the pic).

Is there n-gons in silo?

AFAIK you can use more than 6 subsurfaces in Blender 2.4 because they are stackable so you can put a lot of them if you need to to. Not recommended though.

How does the partial subdivision feature of silo work? What advantages does it give for the user?

About mirroring: 2.4 makes mirroring a lot easier than earlier versions. No need to hassle with duplicate copies anymore. Since they are stackable, it is possible to add mirroring to the axis you need. Very good feature.

What kind of UV mapping tools does Silo have? You might want to check out the upcoming live LSCM for Blender part of that comparison.

What kind of materials does Silo have? Does it support Renderman?

Can I make scripts for Silo like for Blender?

Does Silo have sculpting features?

Yes.

What kind of UV mapping tools does Silo have? You might want to check out the upcoming live LSCM for Blender part of that comparison.

Rumours are that Silo 2.0 will have something comparable (pelt mapping?)

I haven’t read the whole thing yet but I can see two things already:

1. You said silo lets you edit more then one object at a time. Well not sure if this will count or not but in blender you can join meshes together with CTRL+J, if you go into edit mode each will be separate but edited at the same time. You can select linked verts by moving the mouse over them and pressing the L-Key. You can also split verts off of a mesh by using the Y-Key or make them a new object by pressing the P-Key and choosing “Selected”. Last but not least you can also add new meshes/curves etc, in edit mode if you press the space bar and choose add. What you can add depends on the type of object you are editing. Oh yeah in edit mode the icons on the window header can be shift selected, allowing you to edit verts, lines and/or faces at the same time if you need to.

2. You talked about snapping but you missed a very useful key combo. CTRL will let you snap and shift will let you move in small amounts but if you use CTRL+SHIFT at the same time you can change the step of the snap. This also works in almost all number input fields. Also when translating, in most cases you can also enter the number with the keyboard. Don’t forget the widgets also, as they have their own quirks to play with, like moving or scaling based on the window view. Or holding SHIFT and clicking on an axis to lock it and allow you to scale/rotate/move only the remaining two axis.

IMHO the only thing blender really lacks is N-Gons and a good shader system but those are coming hopefully.

Blender has so much to it, it’s hard to compare it fairly as even people who are old timers may not know all the short cut keys or functions.

probably mentioned by someone else, but mirroring in blender is much more powerful in 2.4 (allows pretty much what silo does)
blender could always make a mirrored copy that reflects changes- just alt-d and mirror in object mode.
(new ways include the mirror modifier, and post 2.4 will give x-axis mirror transforming in the same mesh, without even a modifier)

good article for the most part- seems a pretty balanced one (though I haven’t used silo)

Okay. I have made a bunch of changes. Hopefully you will see that I have taken all your comments into consideration.

Reorganized. Concluded. Picture-pecked.

Suggestions welcome but I am ready to be done :smiley: .

Just doing a proof read of it, hope you don’t mind:

Selection Modes

Both offer the selection of vertices, edges, faces, and objects. In Silo these correspond to the keys A,S,D,F for quickly changing modes. Blender has an Object Mode and Edit Mode, toggled with TAB. In Edit Mode, CTRL+TAB brings up a menu to select vertices, edges, or faces. Silo offers faster switching and also the editing of two objects at the same time, which isn’t terribly important as Blender can easily join meshes, separate parts of a mesh, and selet linked vertices.

That was the only typo I spotted, good job!

I felt like it was a good read, sometimes a bit confusing on which package you were talking about but overall I think it was a good comparison.

I sure wish blender had that inset bevel tool, or even a built-in bevel. And thanks for the credit at the end, wasn’t necessary but it was nice of you.