Artloader | 2D Sketchbook

Artloader the maiden is looking very nice indeed. But, I would like to echo the contrast comments. Also tyrant monkeys plea to get a tablet.

One comment I might make is in regard to the hands on the maiden. We have a tendency to draw hands to small. Go to a mirror and lay your hand on your face. If anything the old illustrators made hands slightly bigger then life because they can be so expressive. And, once again let me say hands are a bitch. IMHO once you can draw hands you can truly draw anything.

I can’t say I ever got there because I remember them kicking my ass many times. One thing about hands is you have two models attached to you and with a stationary mirror in front of you a willing model. That said they are still the bitch from hell.

Hi

Nice work here Artloader.

I think You have developed your technique much the last months…Think it’s great You make Your own comic…Keep it up.

Umia looks real nice.

Tai

@theoldghost: Thanks, the contrast is already on my list of things to tackle - I’ve found a good trick that may help me - view my image in grayscale to check the relative values in the image. Also I’ve already borrowed a Wacom tablet from my little brother - it’s a fantastic piece of kit :). Thanks also for the feedback on the hands - hand on the face - that’s a nice little rule of thumb you gave me.

@Taipan: Thanks mate. My comic is still in the early stages - trying to hone my skills and try out different character and environment designs. Umia was good fun to paint - thanks :).

I think it’s at great start! I really like the sky with the clouds!

I have tried Gimp a couple of times but never liked it. Feels like Photoshop in one way, but at the same time it doesn’t. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but I kind of struggle in that program. Have you tested Krita? I really like that software, it feels more like a painting software.

Artloader the greyscale tip is A OK, thanks. Here’s one kind’ a similar for you. When looking for the values in real life squint your eyes. That tends to make the shadows sharper or reduce everything to light and dark I should say.

Mikael K what image size and resolution do you work at. I have version 2.9.9 on Windows 7 and it’s slow as molasses sometimes. Hell sometimes it’s not even responsive!

Okay, thats not good. I think I use it with A4 (297x210mm) and 300 DPI, windows 7. Most of the time I have used the software as a sketching board, doing the first doodlings there, then moved on to Photoshop. It has crashed sometimes. But not slowed down (but I only use maybe two layers)

I think it’s at great start! I really like the sky with the clouds!

I have tried Gimp a couple of times but never liked it. Feels like Photoshop in one way, but at the same time it doesn’t. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but I kind of struggle in that program. Have you tested Krita? I really like that software, it feels more like a painting software.

Thanks Mikael - yeah I really enjoyed doing the clouds - the Smudge tool in Gimp does a really nice job.
Also, I’ve used Gimp for a fair few years now so I’ve built up a bit of a loyalty towards it, plus it has a load of very useful features. I tried installing Krita a while back but it just caused my PC to hang so I thought I’d hold off for a while longer - might be time to try again though.

Artloader the greyscale tip is A OK, thanks. Here’s one kind’ a similar for you. When looking for the values in real life squint your eyes. That tends to make the shadows sharper or reduce everything to light and dark I should say.

Thanks TheOldGhost, I shall use that trick as well :).

Another landscape study, I’ve been trying to learn how to paint rock faces and water. Any critiques appreciated as ever.

I love your mind mate, great characters :slight_smile: I also very much like how you handle color and light, that´s my next challenge :stuck_out_tongue:

Excellent work, lovely to watch your progression. You clearly have a good handle of form, I love your landscapes. I feel your character studies and portraits could benefit from the techniques in your landscapes, especially in terms of texture. This could just be a style choice (in which case ignore me) but I would suggest you bring some more texture and energy to your characters. Sticking to airbrush and flat colour brushes makes surfaces look plastic and synthetic. Make the surface “dance” a bit more :slight_smile:

@BrilliantApe: Thanks mate! Yeah I’m having fun tweaking those characters - I haven’t finalized their design yet. You should just have a go at painting some outdoor landscapes photos in different lighting - I’m learning a lot from just doing some very quick digital paints. Keep going with your stuff by the way - it’s looking good :).

@Wokjow: Thanks for the kind words and feedback, I know what you mean about the plastic look - I’m hoping to get back round to character design soon and apply some of what I’ve learned from landscape texture painting to my characters.

Trying to learn some tricks for painting steampunk gadgets. This one was done from a reference image.

wow, that looks fantastic! i wish i could draw like that.

Thanks Scalia! I’ve been following a load of digital painting tutorials and just been doing as many still life/photo studies as I can - it’s amazing how much you can learn doing this stuff!

Here’s a couple of links in case you’re interested:

http://www.ctrlpaint.com

All the best dude!

Here’s a painting of an elf maiden. I’m trying to learn some dramatic lighting techniques so her face is partially illuminated by a shaft of light. Any critiques would be appreciated, thanks.

More female face work. She is called Yanadia. Done from mostly imagination, not as referenced as my previous piece. Any critiques would be appreciated, thanks.

Practicing on the best elf maiden ever to grace the screen - Arwen from Lord Of The Rings. Any critiques would be appreciated, thanks.

Excellent stuff dude! She’s stunning :slight_smile: It might just be the lighting of that scene but I’d say you could probably do with one more layer of highlight on her skin to give it a bit more form, a touch of spec. great work!

Thanks Wokjow :). Yeah good spot, it does look a bit flat - I’ll have another look at the reference but I think the lighting didn’t give her much specular light. Cheers for the feedback though - appreciated.

Just started on the third version of Sylen Benevolen from my digital comic project. Here’s the line sketch.