Aspect Ratio and Black Bars Question

I have rendered several relatively long animations at 720x480. There is one particular software program I need to use to view it, but when it’s full-screen the aspect ratio doesn’t match that of the typical computer screen so I’m getting some vertical stretching.

Basically, I need to add black bars at the top and bottom so they are 720x540. Fortunately, I rendered the animations out as jpgs for each frame, making it easy to stick them into the sequence editor and re-encode/re-render them as needed. Does anyone know if I can actually use Blender to add those black bars?

I don’t think you can do it in Blender, but it’s very easy to do with VirtualDub.

The best thing to do, if you can afford the time, is to re-render it at the correct aspect ratio.

There’s an NTSC preset in the render buttons window, which sets the pixel ratio to 10:11. If you’re doing NTSC widescreen, there’s no preset (European bias) but the resolution is the same. The pixel aspect should be 40:33.

Both are still 720x480.

Unfortunately, I’m a little crunched for time and the animations took a very long time to render (grr, motion blur is nice but adds SO MUCH render time!). I will be displaying the animations full-screen straight from a computer, so there’s no need to have a pixel aspect ratio other than 1:1, as far as I can tell. Actually, to be honest, I’ve been a little confused about pixel aspect ratios, but my understanding is that computer monitors have square pixels while tvs have rectangular pixels of varying ratios.

Anyway, does Virtual Dub handle quicktime .mov format?

By the way, WeirdHat, I loved your Snoopy/death star movie!

Thank you…

VirtualDub doesn’t handle Quicktime, but it handles JPEG sequences, and I’m assuming that since you rendered as a JPEG sequence, you’ll be able to do whatever you want with another JPEG sequence…

Good, thanks for your help! I also found another possible solution within the software suite I’m using for playback and realtime FX, but I had to wait to hear back from tech support. I haven’t had a chance to try either solution, but I’m confident I have one now. Thanks again.

Hi

I don’t think you can do it in Blender, but it’s very easy to do with VirtualDub.

WeirdHat, cound you explain how to do it in VirtualDub? I still haven’t sucess with it.

ok…I found it!..thanks