Asset Browser Utilities : Batch Operations : Mark/Unmark, Export, tweak Metadata, manage Previews

Oh right this is weird ! You might want to post this as a bug report on the official site, the video should be enough.

I don’t think I can fix it with an addon unfortunately, sorry.

New features in V 0.0.12 :

Feature #25 : Batch Set Author
Feature #25 : Batch Set Description
Feature #23 : Batch Remove Assets from Catalog
Feature #23 : Batch Add Assets to Catalog
Feature #24 : Option to only generate previews for assets which don’t already have one (ON by default)

Optimization #17 : Use low level API for asset append

Link to latest release is in the OP.

3 Likes

Perhaps this is related to the lack of indexing yet. However, it should be included in the main Blender code soon, so the problem of long assets loading will probably cease to exist.

Hey, this was a legitmate and interesting problem.

Have you managed to work it out or would you still like some help ?

Hello. I got an error when add-on import:

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘msilib’

I guess it’s because I use Linux, not Windows. If so, can I make it works on Linux? Thank you.

Ups, sorry for this, it’s some left over automatically imported code, I pushed a fix on github. If you don’t want to re-download the addon you can go to the directory indicated on the third to last line of the error, open prop.py in a text editor and remove the first two lines.

Cheers

2 Likes

Just released a new version :

2 Likes

Hi,

amazing addon, but when I have missing image files like a missing png in my blend file, your addon gives me an unallocated -1 blender output and does nothing. I relocated all my missing image files for the blend file and the addon works as expected. I just report that to you may you have fun to improve your addon ! Thanks again for your great work, you are amazing! :space_invader:

Greeting and Salutations

Julian-Patrick

Hello !
I’m glad this is useful to you.

Could you expand on what exactly didn’t work and what you mean by missing png ?
An external image link got lost and then the addon throws an error ?

“An external image link got lost and then the addon throws an error ?”

Exactly!

It shouldn’t do that ! Could you copy / paste the error that’s printed in the console ? you can enable it with Window > Toggle System Console

I have another :slight_smile:

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\-------\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\asset_browser_utilities\core\operator\helper.py", line 129, in execute
    logic.execute_next_blend()
  File "C:\Users\-------\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\asset_browser_utilities\core\operator\helper.py", line 65, in execute_next_blend
    self.open_next_blend()
  File "C:\Users\-------\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\asset_browser_utilities\core\operator\helper.py", line 76, in open_next_blend
    open_file_if_different_from_current(str(self.blend))
  File "C:\Users\-------\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\asset_browser_utilities\file\path.py", line 18, in open_file_if_different_from_current
    bpy.ops.wm.open_mainfile(filepath=str(filepath))
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.0\3.0\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 132, in __call__
    ret = _op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Error: File path 'N:\' invalid

And here the issue with the images :

File "C:\Users\--------\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\asset_browser_utilities\core\operator\helper.py", line 127, in execute
    save_if_possible_and_necessary()
  File "C:\Users\--------\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\asset_browser_utilities\file\save.py", line 7, in save_if_possible_and_necessary
    bpy.ops.wm.save_mainfile()
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.0\3.0\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 132, in __call__
    ret = _op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Error: Unable to pack file, source path 'M:\Texturenverzeichniss\Mineralien\Felsen\Minerals-Felsen-Seamless- Colorcorrection\001roche\001roche.jpg_o.png' not found
Error: Unable to pack file, source path 'J:\Downloads\textures\Fabric-Texture\Colored\8596168691_5744f8e915_o\8596168691_5744f8e915_o.png_m.png' not found
Error: Unable to pack file, source path 'P:\Texturenverzeichniss\Fabric\Wolle\cloth_hooks_2090306\cloth_hooks_2090306.JPG_n.png' not found
Error: Unable to pack file, source path 'C:\vorlagen\3D-Modelle\3DS\3ds_neu_sortierne\68e976697957d05f780a7c725052ce95\EYE2.BMP' not found
Error: Unable to pack file, source path 'C:\vorlagen\3D-Modelle\3DS\3ds_neu_sortierne\68e976697957d05f780a7c725052ce95\EYE2.BMP' not found
Error: Unable to pack file, source path 'M:\Texturenverzeichniss\Mineralien\walls\old\Ziegelstein\Seamless\wall_004_seamless\wall_004_seamless.bmp_o.png' not found

Thank you for the help with the other code!

Bye :bulb:

Alright so after investigating a bit I don’t really know how to solve the issue about missing png files. It’ll just skip the file and display a message suggesting to fix the library link if it errors out when trying to save.

For the other error could you tell me which operation you were doing ?

I pushed a new release.

• Added support for node groups in 3.1 beta
  • Added support for all supported types in 3.2 alpha (except Paint Curves and Simulations which I didn’t find much documentation about)
2 Likes

Hi @Gorgious, I have a personal request. Oftentimes assets from online marketplaces/ vendors are provided as FBX files and Max/ Maya. I was thinking, is it possible to batch process individual FBX files to Blend files and mark the objects inside as assets?
There may be problems with materials not propagating though. Perhaps, it is possible to brute force these as Principled BSDF’s with the textures found in the folder or nested within the FBX file folder?
If not, I don’t mind manually correcting them either.
What do you think, is this something worth adding?

E1: Is it also possible to do a batch find missing files from folder? This is for missing textures that were not embedded into the Blend file by the asset creator. And also applies to FBX import.

Hehe this is a very interesting topic. :slight_smile:

I have already worked on a very similar tool for gltf files downloaded from sketchfab. Here’s the link to the github page if you’re interested https://github.com/Gorgious56/batch_convert_gltf It recenters and join meshes, and lets you apply a decimate modifier, which is helpful when working with photoscanned meshes which tend to get really messy and into the millions vertices range.

But I’d like to keep the contents of this particular addon focused on the Asset Browser, I don’t want to feature creep and the codebase to get too messy. Currently I don’t have too much time to dedicate to this project and with the upcoming additions to the Asset Browser by the dev team I’ll have to keep up with it when the next version releases (I hope).

It’s definitely something worth exploring, though, and if I get some time to polish the core features more I’ll see if I can add utilities to batch import from other formats. But I’ve never had to deal too much with fbx files so I never spent time on such tools. I’ve seen some addons here on BA or on blendermarket that could be able to achieve it though, have you explored these ?

1 Like

Actually, I hadn’t noticed those addons before. I came across this topic on Stackexchange: https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/255589/batch-import-fbx-from-all-subfolders-with-filename-script-in-blender, so I (rightly) figured you are the expert of batch operations in Blender :wink:. I’ll check out the available addons, thanks for the heads-up.

If anything, I’m all for keeping this addon simple too. Though, I have one more question: did you end up removing the apply transforms feature? Or am I missing where this is in the menus :innocent:
If so, I’ll check a previous version and use that in Blender 3.0 to get my transforms fixed.

PS: the gltf addon looks pretty neat, I’ll keep it in mind, hopefully I can make good use of it some day.

Do you mean the builtin operation ? Unless I made a horrible mistake somewhere which is possible, it shouldn’t have went anywhere, it’s under Object > Apply > All Transforms or CTRL + A > Apply All.
But maybe you’re talking about another feature ?

No, I’m referring to the batch apply transforms feature when marking assets that was in a version prior to Asset Browser Utilities 0.0.8, back when it was still called “batch generate asset browser previews”.

Do you recall our earlier conversation in this thread that assets may have problems generating previews if scale wasn’t applied prior to marking them as asset in Blender 3.0? That’s when you added an option to apply transforms to the assets. While the issue is no longer present, I do want to apply scale to the assets en masse, to make sure they work well with scatter :wink:

Oh, right, I do remember ! I don’t remember why I removed that though… >< I’ll see if I can elegantly add the option to the operators :slight_smile:

1 Like