Asset Browser

Looks like some real progress on the asset browser, so I figured it was time to create a thread about it.

original email: https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2020-November/050778.html

Pablo Vazquez also demonstrated where it currently is on Blender Today (starts ~41:30):

5 Likes

For now I just hope the ‘native Blender project concept’ they’re planning won’t lead to the kind of situation like in e.g. Unity or DaVinci Resolve, where everything always has to be part of a particular project.

• First of all, this, (especially in Resolve) always gets me confused about what ends up saved where (filepath-wise).

• Secondly, I’m not sure I’ll ever fully understand what is contained wherein (data-wise), especially if you have a ‘Save Project’ command, seperated from a ‘Save Scene’ command, like in Unity.

• Thirdly, I consider it super annoying in e.g. Unity, how I basically can’t quickly test something in-engine, without creating a specific Unity-Project (for my one-off quick test!) first, or needing to use an already existing.
    So say I wrote a shader and just want to quickly test it in Unity while it’s heavily wip still. There’s no way of just opening a new Unity-scene testing it, and afterwards just closing the session again without having saved anything to disk (just in RAM).

They mention it’s meant to be ‘similar to e.g. git’. Now if I knew what that means… (my git-knowledge is rather basic).

greetings, Kologe

Oh my god! Is this really happening? Woooooooaaah :scream_cat: :scream_cat: :scream_cat: :scream_cat:

Kudos to Julien and the amazing devs! Can’t wait to see this officially in Blender 2.93 :heart_eyes:

• In fact it’s already a bit the case in one .blend you can have multiple shot/scenes and save a whole project in one file.

• I Think it’s just when one project is made of several files and you work on different projects. You need a way to tell which project assets belong to. That should be the work of an asset manager (eg : shotgun) , making all this inside blender seems a bit challenging to me… Maybe the design will evolve, or they will come up with a clever way of doing it…

1 Like

I think it’s been mentioned somewhere they don’t plan to have the functionality of such pipeline-software as shotgun in this asset manager project.
Though it’s not really clear to me yet what it’s actually panned to be. Time will tell, I guess.

greetings, Kologe

I’m really excited about this feature. I just hope you don’t have to manually add all the assets by right clicking on each asset by the time it comes out.

Finally got the asset browser branch working after watching the Blender.Today timestamp. Thank you!