I’ve created a new asset management addon for Blender 2.8, Asset Wizard. You may ask why another one? There is SimpleAssetManager which I really like and many thanks to Dawid Huczyński for his great work on it. This project started by some modifications to this, but is now a complete rewrite.
So what is different in Asset Wizard?
- Both object and material importers are always at your hand.
- Preview rendering is more comfortable and accessible directly from the panel, you can rerender the selected asset, render missing assets or all assets.
- Rendering takes place in the background, the primary panel shows the current process, so you can continue work during rendering process.
- Previews can either be rendered in Cycles or Eevee (see preferences).
- All panels have a full or compact (default) view (see images below, setting in preferences).
- Assets (both object and materials) must be stored in categories.
- SimpleAssetManager’s asset structure is compatible with those of Asset Wizard.
- There’s an object export panel, which exports the selected object(s) into either .blend or .fbx.
- New categories can be created directly from the UI without the file explorer.
- After export, the preview is rendered automatically and the UI updates.
- My previously released addon Node Wizard is now a sub part of Asset Wizard (the standalone version is discontinued).
- New part of the Node Wizard is Node Wizard Export, just below the Node Wizard panel. It either exports the current material as asset or directly generates an asset from a PBR texture set using the same features as the object exporter (category creation/selection and auto render).
One downside in comparison to SimpleAssetManager: There is currently no particle or HDRI support. Another thing is missing documentation, which is a point on my TODO list.
And yes, it’s completely free (GPLv3). Any feedback is very welcome.
Download is here: Asset Wizard 0.1.2
Experimental version: Asset Wizard 0.1.3
Still experimental version: Asset Wizard 0.1.4
Alternative links: Asset Wizard 0.1.2 + Asset Wizard 0.1.3 + Asset WIzard 0.1.4
- Append/Add object at cursor position
- Lock appended object in XY plane (Move in Z and rotation in X/Y axis is locked for these objects)
- Both object and materials can now have subdirectories
- Categories are now cached an don’t need to be rescanned on every panel redraw
- Curvature and AO map generator added to Node Wizard (win64 & linux64 support yet)
- Preview size in panels can now be scaled from preferences
- Fix in preferences (use of package)
- Near and far clipping clipping plane of preview camera adjusted to allow smaller and larger objects
- Better view on objects in preview
- Support for multiple material in one .blend added
- Update Preview if selected only
- Open button for materials added
- Package Name Fix (assert -> asset)
- Initial Release