Asset Wizard for Blender

Regarding textures … a have my textures in a folder outside the assets directory. Creating a material from Node Wizard does not copy texture files in any way, it just creates a .blend which relatively references to this files (no absolute path). If the relative path stays constant, no problems should arise, maybe place textures parallel to the asset root folder.

The export exports all selected objects, imho … during import, all were placed in a single collection. Can you create a small .blend file and a little explanation that shows me exactly what went wrong and what you expect?

Thank you. I’m currently busy, but will continue if I find some time. I currently focus to use my own Addon to find problems and possibilities to make things more comfortable and straightforward.
Any feature in my list that you like most?

Hi Hobbit

I just upgraded my blender installation, and now asset wizard will not work, heres the output of the console

Writing userprefs: 'C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\config\userpref.blend' ok
addon_utils.disable: object_asset_wizard-master not disabled
Modules Installed (object_asset_wizard-master) from 'C:\\Users\\Tim\\Desktop\\object_asset_wizard-master.zip' into 'C:\\Users\\Tim\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.80\\scripts\\addons'
Exception in module register(): C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\object_asset_wizard-master\__init__.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\dev\blender-2.80.0-git.adfdae3fc2f4-windows64\2.80\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py", line 384, in enable
    mod.register()
  File "C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\object_asset_wizard-master\__init__.py", line 178, in register
    bpy.utils.register_class(op)
RuntimeError: Error: 'ImportPanel' doesn't contain '_PT_' with prefix & suffix

Exception in module register(): C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\object_asset_wizard-master\__init__.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\dev\blender-2.80.0-git.adfdae3fc2f4-windows64\2.80\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py", line 384, in enable
    mod.register()
  File "C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\object_asset_wizard-master\__init__.py", line 178, in register
    bpy.utils.register_class(op)
ValueError: register_class(...): already registered as a subclass

thanks
TIM

Please try the version from github :slight_smile:

Thanks that solved it — I appreciate it a lot

…If Santa would ask me for a christmas wish …
I would answer that personally I find the Node Wizard’s Masks and Materials Panel very interesting.
But currently adding own materials and nodes is not as convenient as adding objects and materials.
Since the files are also stored within the addon folder custom changes will only last until the next update.
If it would work similar to Asset Wizard it would be much easier to add custom data.
… but it’s not december yet :slight_smile:

Hehe, around 10 seconds before I read your post, I thought about such a solution, for some other reason, but I think I can find a convenient way to do this.

Not sure if this is working as intended, but I found that using the “Set” button within the materials panels on an object with more than one material it will apply the material always to the first slot, no matter which material slot currently is selected.
I would expect it to be applied the the current slot.
(It’s no big issues since you can “append” the material and change the current material slot after, but working with “set” on the current slot would save an extra step)

I will take a look into this. Sounds to be the straightforward solution. If it’s possible, would it be useful to show a dropdown-menu to select the intended slot(s) when clicking on the ‘Set’ button (e.g. Slot 1/2/3 or to all slots)? The only problem I currently see for this, how to handle such a menu if more than one object is selected … :thinking:

1 Like

Currently selecting and saving multiple objects at once works fine for me and is a big help.
It works even fine on lights, cameras, armatures, curves and others.

It appears to stop working as soon as an empty is one of the selected objects.
I am getting an "AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘name’
when i hit the “export” button

I can reproduce this, thank for the detailed report, maybe @Taholmes160 had the same issue. I will try to fix this.

Thank you for the kind replies and all your work!
They are really no biggies, I just wanted to join the hunt and possibly get the chance to squash a bug :space_invader:

I have not bumped into that error, but I rarely use empties, so I dont know

TIM

Download to version 0.1.8 added to initial post. Fixes both of your reported isses:

• Export including Empty objects seems to work now
  • Materials were applied to the currently selected material slot. I still think about more options in this feature, so this is a first fix.

There are no so many addons for Blender 2.8 that we need to filter them in several workspaces to prevent overcrowded n-panel. Most addons I can find in the filter (top-panel in the properties panel) but not Asset Wizard and Simple Asset Manager as well.
Is there a solution for?

Would it be possible to have an option to save and relink the textures of the assets to a specified folder? Where you would have an object folder next to their corresponding maps-folder or something like that.

My problem, I import a fbx library from my harddrive, it’s in a very generic shared folder that I use to import the assets in all 3D softwares. There I have 2 subfolders: one with the fbx files and another one for the texture-maps. I don’t want to organise my blender library from that specific folder path because it’s only used for importing. I want a complete new fresh one where I can reorganise everything from scratch and keep everything together (models and maps).
If I change the textures prior importing the fbx importer won’t find the maps and if I don’t I have my assets saved in some place but referencing to a completely other folder and folder structure for the textures.

Any solution to this except adding an option to save textures with the assets at export or manually relinking all texture maps when preparing the assets?

@hob-B1T, I got an idea of two features which might come handy in some situations - maybe you find them worth considering for next releases:

1. A search field filtering assets/materials from all collections
  2. Would it be possible to replace an asset already added to the scene with another one from the library, preserving its location and rotation?
1 Like

love your work mate

I fixed some bugs and made a new operator to mass export complete kitbashing kits into my libraries

class MassObjectExporterOperator(Operator, ExportObjectBase):
    bl_idname = "asset_wizard.mass_object_exporter_op"
    bl_label = "Mass export"
    bl_description = "Maxx export selected objects."
    bl_options = {"REGISTER", "INTERNAL"}

def execute(self, context):
        export_these = list(bpy.context.selected_objects)
        for obj in export_these:
            obj.select_set(False)

for i, obj in enumerate(export_these):
            obj.select_set(True)
            self.asset_name = obj.name + "_" + repr(i)
            print(obj)
            print(obj.name)
            bpy.ops.asset_wizard.object_exporter_op(
                category=self.category,
                asset_name=self.asset_name,
                location=self.location,
                rotation=self.rotation,
                rename=self.rename,
                rename_material=self.rename_material,
                export_type=self.export_type,
            )
            obj.select_set(False)

return {"FINISHED"}

If you want pull requests please consider using Python code formatter, linter and putting your code on Github/lab or the like.

1 Like

Love the addon thus far. However, there times in which my model is invisible in the preview.It also messes up the original position of it