Assigning Bones to Vertex Groups

Hello everyone,
I’m relatively new to Blender, but I’m picking up on it quickly. I’m trying to create a simple Minecraft character model that I can animate. I watched a video on how to do it, but the mesh isn’t moving with the bones. I followed the exact directions that are in the video, but the vertex group that I assigned to the bone isn’t moving when I move the bone in pose mode. For example, I selected all vertices, edges, and faces that made up the head, and assigned those to a vertex group named “head”. I then named the bone I had placed in the head “head”, but it’s not working. Vertex groups are enabled in the armature modifier, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Is there some setting I need to enable?

Thanks,
Kpenguin

Check your head bone in edit or pose mode, and make sure under the bone properties, ‘deform’ is checked. If it’s not that, I don’t know. You can post your .blend file at pasteall.org for others to download and makes it much easier to spot problems.

Deform is on.
Here’s the blend file:http://www.pasteall.org/blend/39285

OK, for a simple block character like this you can just parent individual body parts to individual bones. But if you want to ‘skin’ a mesh to an armature, the mesh needs to have an ‘armature’ modifier.

Just select your mesh, go to modifiers properties tab, add an armature modifier, click in the ‘object’ field and select your armature object. Done! :slight_smile: