Assist on head mesh

4tonmantis,

Updated my earlier attempt with Viggo.

Studied facial proportion rules that someone, somewhere suggested, and watched the Kent Trammel’s head modelling videos. Great suggestions.

the rough shape to the face is good, the proportions I think are accurate, I’ve shaped in the eyes fairly well. Nose is very close. The mouth still needs some work but it’s close, as well. The jaw I think is spot on, except that it might be a bit too deep along the jaw bone. Not certain as well if the heel of the jaw should be wider when viewed from the front.

I used lots of reference pics - some from hildalgo, some from publicity photos. I settled on using a younger Viggo picture for a base reference for the face structure to build on. It’s a good frontal that shows the facial structure well. I found a good profile.

Also I left the old pic on the bottom left for contrast.

The advice has been good to date, very helpful. The work has been insightful to me, I’m learning a lot about facial anatomy and structure. Now … I know what jaw planes are

Still a WIP. Critiques and recommendations welcome. The last ones were invaluable

Thanks

Attachments

I stripped out the old pics. Nothing on this post.

The planes on the jaw seem to be off. The area between the eyebrows and at the top of the nose seems to be off a little as well as the tip of the nose. The outsides of the eyes slope a tad more and the corner seemingly sits just a little tiny bit lower. The crease on the cheek is a little too pronounced and the corners of the mouth turn in more at the top creating a kinda checkmark look on the actual person. If you can find some good profile shots of Viggo it would probably help too and all of that stuff I just rattled off was at a glance so definitely get a second opinion. It looks good as-is… better than some of the attempts I’ve seen by game companies.

4tonmantis

Thanks. Real good snapshot assessment. What I needed.

Nose - Got it. The tip needs work.

Crease in cheek - Too pronounced. Got it.

Corners of mouth - need to turn in on mesh. Checkmark on corners in photo. Got it.

However, Might I beg a little more in-depth particulars on the following?

Planes of jaw -. I get the general drift but any specifics. Proportion, angle of jaw bone.

The eyes - “The outsides of the eyes slope a tad more and the corner seemingly sits just a little tiny bit lower” - Sloping which way? And also the outside corner or inside corner?

In brief: If that’s all the reference you have, get more. The more reference you have the better off you’ll be. Also, your mesh seems really dense. Try thinning it out a good bit and only poly model in the gross forms, sculpt in anything finer detailed. It will save you a LOT of time and headache (besides, multires modifiers are great because if you screw up the sculpt, just delete it and start over).
Good solid start though. One tip I can give you is turn a couple of your reference images greyscale and remove the texture from your model. If the model shades correctly, the shape is correct, if it shades wrong, the model is wrong.

-David

Thanks greatly. Really good tips about the grey scale and using no textures,
Two questions though -
Can you strip poly wires in blender to reduce density of mesh without leaving holes?

What is the difference between multires and subdivision surface. Will multires allow sculpting with more response?

4tonmantis/DMradford: The grey scale is helpng quite a bit, and the sculpting is a great aid. I found more ref pics particularly a pretty good profile (which is rare with Viggo Mortensen).
This helped significantly with 4tonmantis’s critique about “the jaw planes.” As well it pointed me in a better direction with the brow ridges and orbit of the eye.

I switched back and forth between sculpting and moving polys on the base mesh. Overall the advice has resulted in a much improved look to the mesh.

Glad the observations were helpful. I was actually going to do a paintover for you today but it looks like you beat me to the punch. For the profiles, I think Hidalgo and the one where he’s a Russian hitman (or whatever that was) will have more to choose from.
I look forward to seeing the next update pictures.

As discussed, did the grey scale to any ref pics, and sculpted more detail. Used the multi-res modifier, which is great.
I shifted eye corners down, scaled in cheekbones, and adjusted the jaw planes. And …, no kidding, honest to pete, used hair particles for lashes. The hair tool is a decent add-on.

However, I also used both a grey scale texture map as well as a plain sculpt texture.

Updated the WIP.

@4tonmantis

I sculpted some, but mainly pulled/pushed verts. I’m not that dexterous with the sculpt mode, yet. Grey scale helped as well as the reference pics. What aided considerably was when I gridded the reference pics. That showed contrast of facial proportions. The head mesh is getting dialed in. Not quite there yet, but closer

4tonmantis,

Updated my earlier attempt with Viggo.

Studied facial proportion rules that someone, somewhere suggested, and watched the Kent Trammel’s head modelling videos. Great suggestions.

the rough shape to the face I think is good, the proportions seem accurate, I’ve shaped in the eyes fairly well. Nose is very close. The mouth still needs some work but it’s close, as well. The jaw I think is spot on, except that it might be a bit too deep along the jaw bone.

I used lots of reference pics - some from hildalgo, some from publicity photos. I settled on using a younger Viggo picture for a base reference for the face structure to build on. It’s a good frontal that shows the facial structure well. I found a good profile.

Also I left the old pic for contrast.

All the advice was good to date, very helpful. The work has been insightful. I’m learning a lot about facial anatomy and structure. Now … I know what jaw planes are

Still a WIP. Critiques and recommendations welcome. The last ones were invaluable

Attachments