Asteroid impact maybe... something something... crack'd earth maybe... hmm... alien? Just a thing

So, this asteroid hits the earth, yeah… and, hmmm, the earth cracks open and there’s all this lava and glowing mantle and stuff, yeah… and then, well, from the asteroid - which has obviously disintegrated because its not there - these alien sort of tentacles come out and, start spreading… hmm, just like loads and loads of sci-fi films. Hmm. Or Something?

Just messing around with Gaea, Blender and Geometry Nodes (shortest path - love this - and although this is a first stab - and quite a simple use case for the node - I think it can be quite effective.). I don’t know if this will turn into something. I doubt it 'cos not sure where to go with it. But I enjoyed learning something new while making it, so thought I’d share it anyway. Why not?

Top one is a kind of semi-stylised illustrative/drawn/painterly/style. Bottom straight out of the compositor (with some volumetric atmosphere, mist and probably too much fog glow).

Edit 1: Pew pew pew.

Edit 2: Cinemascope!

7 Likes

let me handle this,
I know what this is

It’s an upside down alien turd which sits under a layer of fart mist, and the sun is shining through the center of it from the other side!

See?! That wasn’t difficult at all :sunglasses:

looks attractive though

Well, that wasn’t quite what I had in mind, but thanks! :grin:

Pew Pew Pew. Apache Gunship - free model from Hs 3D on Blenderkit (with thanks, best bit about it).

When the alien spews new tentacles from its (unseen) body, they are weirdly low resolution and either don’t bend or bend in strange 90 degree angles, which is handy for people not very good with Blender when they come to make a representation of the apocalyptic scenes.

1 Like

Chinook model also from Hs 3D on Blenderkit. Very nice! I’m still having fun with this, but realise it is… a bit meh (but, who knows, it might progress to be just OK! never give up!!) :slight_smile:

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!