At what point are projects involving other softwares not "worthy" for blenderartists?

I’m working on a big art project involving many softwares, including Blender as well as Substance and Houdini. I want to post it here when I’m done, but then it occurred to me: how much of the project must be made with Blender to be considered “worthy” for Blenderartists?

Is the requirement to have rendered it in Blender? Or if Blender is used anywhere in the pipeline (ie. modeling, UVs, rigging/skinning)? Is this explicitly defined on the website? Please let me know your thoughts.

Blender anywhere in the pipe.

Check my portfolio. :slight_smile:

Thank you for clarifying. There’s so many “Blender-only” artworks in here that it makes me wonder if others can be included :slight_smile:

Well yes I would say there are two main factions if you will. One “purest” approaxh is all Blender and all open source. The other is more of a hybrid with whatever works. At the end of the day, reality is that as Blender makes its way into the industry it necessary gets used along side “competing” products. And this is something that, while the purest might not personally embrace, I am sure they respect and can even be proud of.

1 Like

Someone not using Blender only, guys!!! Grab him! Burn him alive! :grin:

Seriously, though. It’s a melting pot here, with industry folks and hobbyists. And it’s only gonna get meltier as Blender gains more attention. All are welcome. No cult card required. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Using other softwares with blender?! HERESY!
Jokes aside i didnt knew there was a purist movement here. Can’t even imagine it in a production pipeline. If so, then you are working for the software, not the other way.

personally … Substance Painter and Blender is really all I need for all my projects…

but on topic, I would say that if you show something off that made it in the Feature row, shouldn’t go past Blender and Substance Painter (Marvelous and ZBrush, I personally consider unnecessary)… after all it is about showing what one can do with Blender (which this community revolves around) … otherwise a project becomes Off-Topic, in my eyes.

But hey, here anything goes, really

Thanks @cgCody and @Richard_Culver for those comments :slight_smile:

Jokes aside i didnt knew there was a purist movement here. Can’t even imagine it in a production pipeline. If so, then you are working for the software, not the other way.

Totally agree, forcing yourself to one software is more of a burden then anything else. I wouldn’t say there’s a “purist” movement, but perhaps with newer users, the “only free” desire may have them feel like only Blender is the way to go.

personally … Substance Painter and Blender is really all I need for all my projects… but on topic, I would say that if you show something off that made it in the Feature row, shouldn’t go past Blender and Substance Painter (Marvelous and ZBrush, I personally consider unnecessary)… after all it is about showing what one can do with Blender (which this community revolves around) … otherwise a project becomes Off-Topic, in my eyes.

True, something featured that used little of Blender would feel off. A lot of this community is about “what can be done with Blender,” but I feel like it’s been mostly answered, hasn’t it? Blender can do mostly anything, albeit sometimes slower in some places than others (especially some aspects of VFX, but it’s getting there).

I’m curious if admins do look at the usage of Blender when considering Featured projects.

It’s up to each one personally, but I would like to see works in the top row that include more than just importing it into Blender and pushing render.

Seen this with other software (and done it wrong myself), there is a difference between software loyalism and fanatism. You can actually like the software more if you use it where you see its strength and avoid its weaknesses. “At least its done with software XYZ” is no excuse for art you hate yourself.

On the other hand investing energy finding solutions to archive a certain output in a chosen software can be a powerfull learning experience…but beeing allways stuck with an unsatisfying output, because you are fixiated to one solution won’t help you either.

EDIT:
As for “only free” faction…well yes and no. It opens a whole can of worms:
To a certain extend you can “buy” art quality by having more software at hand…but then again you also get better results with better hardware. (More/ faster iterations) wich makes “free” also blurred. And how to you weight ressources in money vs ressources in time and energy ? And is this all more important than the actual output ?

but thats only my 0.002 cents on this

Good question. One that is almost always neglected by people in the “only free” faction.

The argument you often hear from people is “personal preference”.
This is obviously subjective - but productivity and effectiveness isn’t subjective - it’s brutally objective.

An example: Substance Painter (currently priced 126,99€ on steam)
My argument from experience, texturing with SP is 10x faster than doing it manually in PS/Krita/Gimp or Blender.
If you have a decent salary with whatever job you are doing - you should have earned it with x amount of hours work.
Now, if the tool helps you to cut down your time working on a project by the factor of 10 or lets say 6 - the cost for buying SP should be back in your pocket in form of time after the second or third project.
Even for a hobbyist this calculation makes sense, since whenever you use it you cut cost/time from your project.

In regards to OP’s question:
Use whatever you like, just be honest when you post it here. When and if you ever step over the “line” your fellow Blenderartists will let you know that. :smile:
Worst case scenario: Bartv will not let you into the Feature Row.

2 Likes

Very well said, @tischbein3.

The argument you often hear from people is “personal preference”. This is obviously subjective - but productivity and effectiveness isn’t subjective - it’s brutally objective.

True, productivity always pays back over time. I agree with Substance Painter, I think it’s the greatest time saver I’ve seen in my pipeline. I wouldn’t have dared try texturing if it hadn’t been for it’s great interface and Photoshop-like workflow.

In regards to OP’s question:
Use whatever you like, just be honest when you post it here. When and if you ever step over the “line” your fellow Blenderartists will let you know that. :smile:

Thank you, feel free to discuss other aspects of the question and concern! I’ve gotten my answer, but there’s many layers to it, so I’m curious about other’s thoughts. But true, I will be giving lots of credit (not just software, but some assets as well). It’s a golden rule, which is nice to see that many respect.

2 Likes

The commercial world isn’t helping their case against the ‘only free’ movement when vendor after vendor is introducing mandatory subscription and always-online DRM (if you don’t pay you lose access to all of your files).

It gets even worse than that, you now have Autodesk at least looking at ways to invalidate existing perpetual licenses from the days when that was an option. Do not think that companies like Adobe will choose not to follow suit in time?

FOSS may be inferior in some markets (which is fact and I too use commercial solutions), but there’s now the argument of security and stability in terms of being able to use such.

1 Like

ZBrush rules! :grin: :grin:

But seriously, I’m rediscovering the bliss of ZBrush at the moment. Next stage: rediscover Marmoset Toolbag. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Here we go… Didn’t take long.

I am going say my peace and be done with the topic.

There is fantasy and there is reality. Fantasy dictates that any software lives on an island. Software Fantasy Island if you will.

Reality is what happens in the real world. Which is why it is called reality.

The featured gallery represents what is happening in the real world without arbitrary made-up rules as far as I can see.

And in the real world there are Software loyalists and fanatics and those who are not. And there is any bit of a mixed bag of the two. It would be impossible to try and make rules to regulate how this should be.

And swinging the vote one way or the other would be a great disservice to everyone.

Thankfully the mods see it this way too.

1 Like

Agreed. Although Blender is a very versatile and powerful all-round editor, other editors have their own unique tools, and it’s up to you which tools suit your needs.

Regarding the Blender gallery: to name an example, lots of featured artwork was sculpted using ZBrush, then textured, lit and rendered using Blender. If the end result is impressive, you’ll have a fine chance of being featured.

1 Like

There’s so many “Blender-only” artworks in here that it makes me wonder if others can be included

Bah, that’s just a side effect of blender being free. There’s no obligation to use a blender only workflow.

Hell, there’s a lot of zbrush sculpts that are merely rendered in blender that make the front page very often.

Blender gets used, more and more these days, for exactly the same reason that any other piece of software gets used: "because it moves the freight!" Very nice that it doesn’t cost money, but that’s not the #1 consideration. No one would be interested in a “free tool” that couldn’t produce professional-grade results. But here we have a “free tool” that can, and does.

“And that’s what all the fuss is about!”