Ati Catalyst 3.10 problem with blender

Anyone else using latest catalyst 3.10 drivers? (I have w2000 & Radeon 8500le)

After installing these drivers blender started to develop somesort of mouse response lagging, after a while it can take 1-2 seconds to blender to respond simple button click. this showness developed slowly, perhaps after few minutes blender was not very usable anymore. I installed earlier catalyst driver and blender works fine again.

I’m making bug report to the Ati but it would be nice to someone to backup this weird behaving.

Win 2K and the drivers are from the 28th of October
(wxp-w2k-catalyst-7-95-031028m-011774c)
Radeon 8500 (not ‘le’)

All il fine except for an shivering if my mouse wheel is in some positions.

Jean

Those wxp-w2k-catalyst-7-95-031028m-011774c work fine (they are 3.8 or 3.9 versions…)

3.10 is “wxp-w2k-7-962-031202m1-012924c” which has that little problem.
I cured it temporary by using opengl driver from “wxp-w2k-catalyst-7-95-031028m-011774c” release.

edit: That file is “atioglxx.dll”…

you’re not alone ! I have a hercules radeon 9800 with the latest catalyst drivers (3.10) under windows xp pro and I have exactly the same problem.
I hope that next drivers of next blender version will correct that
(and what about some glitch with antialiased fonts with ati card in blender ?)

The drivers are programs that you get from your card manufacturer or it’s resaler (here Hercule) : they’re not made by the Blender coders and, although patches could (maybe) fix the problem it really is your responsibility to fetch and install drivers that works ; quite often these are older drivers, not newer.

See the message above for the fixes we found.

Regards

Jean

yep the same here (9500)

Omega drivers doesn´t make it any better

I had the best experience with 3.7

btw Is it me, or has axis locking in propotional editing always been disabled?

Yes. I have Radeon 9600 Pro and catalyst 3.10 and I have the same problem too. Ind when I render picture in new window, and I try move the lamp blender crashes. :frowning: HELP With new area light blender works very good.

It’s not you and it never worked for any practical purpose to my knowledge.

Really too bac because it would be extremely useful but maybe very difficult or impossible to implement.

Jean

my drivers weren’t so good with 3.8 or 3.9, 3.10 is worse

(got it working in linux but doing anything in textured mode gets really slow)

oh: radeon 9600 se

(windows 98 se, using ME driver)

[quote=“IamInnocent”]

It’s not you and it never worked for any practical purpose to my knowledge.

Really too bac because it would be extremely useful but maybe very difficult or impossible to implement.

Jean[/quote]

Proportional edit, as in okey in editmode? My axis lock works just fine, by either pressing x, y, z or middle mouse. My blender is 2.31a.

You’re right to say so.
Indeed, it works for grab and rotate since some time already.
It still doesn’t work for size.

Jean

You’re right to say so.
Indeed, it works for grab and rotate since some time already.
It still doesn’t work for size.

It works for size as well here… Grab, rotate, size, you name it. Although it doesn’t work for snap, it would be convinient if it did.

Defenitly one of the first wishes for the list!
But why should it be so hard to implement …?

If there are any coder resources free, Blender should get a better Ati Card support for this cards are getting wide spreaded in the consumer market.
but to stop bitching…

I´ll switch back to 3.7 ,Blender is more important than gameing

edit:#
@halfgaar
No lock on 2.31a WinXP !

Are you experiencing this?

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=231&aid=293&group_id=9

If so, it’d be great if you could contribute more information and testing to that bug report, so we can try and fix it. It’s impossible to correct things if developers can’t understand what the problem is to start with.

this was indeed one of the pre 3.7 Drivers ,but is gone with the newer ones!

And again btw Is it known that Weightpainting dosn´t work anymore after an objekt has been parrented to an Armature? %|

I’ll move this discussion on a new thread by consideration to the poor ATI users and their driver problems.
Halfgaar :
would you be kind enough to answer me there as to what build you have. I tried 2.25 Official, 2.31a Official and the December 31st build from Ztonzy and size in PET mode (Okey) definitively can’t be constrained to any axis here using either MMB or the Xkey, Ykey and Zkeys.

Jean

If there are any coder resources free, Blender should get a better Ati Card support for this cards are getting wide spreaded in the consumer market.

I don’t think it’s a problem with blender. I think it has to do with ATi’s openGL support, especially because blender uses 2D openGL, which not all cardmakers implement.

in the meantime, the 3.9 drivers work fine

Do you know if it is sufficient to copy that DLL to the Blender dir?

If that works then Blender would use the 3.9 OGL and for other stuff you’d still get the per-pixel fragment they added to OGL 3.10 and over…

I’ll check when I get home,

Miguel