ati or nvidia for my new system

Yea, but the 8 series cards are monsters in their own right.

Putting aside the fact that for the price of two G80s one could purchase a very nice laptop; I would actually have to buy a new power supply just to run that card on my current machine.

As for the ATI/Nvidia topic:

Linux performance is a very big deal for me, and as others already mentioned; ATI does not deliver on the drivers.

Another vote for Nvidia.

There does seem to be an alternative to the 8800gts now that I’ve done more looking into the 8800gt. It looks really good. It seems like its price will be quite reasonable.

It could be as low as $180 for the 256mb version I’ve heard… If there is a 256mb version… Of course the release date hasn’t been confirmed it seems. Anywho, the consensus seems to be that the card will be released tomorrow in its 512mb version, but it might cost around USD $250. Expect more price drops in the near future.

I’ve also heard you can pick up second hand 8800gts online for not much money. If you get an XFX, and are the second owner, you will still have a lifetime warranty…

Here is an “official” review of the 8800GT.

Wow, the 8800gt blows the 8800gts out of the water. Only thing is when you enable full AA and AF it gets down to gts levels. Anyway, it’s still $250 so perhaps a bit on the expensive side for now. I imagine within some weeks the prices will drop.

well i think for now im going to be getting an 7600 and then when xmas roles around and i get a little bit more cash ill fork it out for an 8800

It’s gonna be some months before it drops down below $200.

But yea, it’s an awesome piece of hardware.

Hey, what about a GeForce 8500+? Does it do GLSL in blender okay?

Anything under a 8600gts is beaten by the 7 series.

The 7600gt is much faster than an 8500, and has very similar performance to an 8600gt.

You looking to buy a card?

well i just ordered my new system and to be honest im going to be very happy with it and i got the 8800 gt 512 mb infact im so happy im going to post all of the new specs

case: Apevia X-Jupiter Jr. 420 Watts Case
cpu:
intel core 2 duo 6750
mobo:EVGA nForce 680i SLI
gpu: EVGA 8800gt 512mb
hard drive: nothingspecial 320gb 7,200rpm sata drive
cpu fan: Cooler Master hyper TX2

and im going to use a monitor that i already have

What about keyboard/mouse?

Yep, that looks to be the card to get. Glad you decided on the 8800gt in the end. Good cpu and mobo choice too.

im getting a keyboard mouse combo for now and they are both wireless

Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 110 Keyboard & Mouse

o ya i forgot ram too: Mushkin extreme