ATI Radeon 9600XT 256mb problem!!! UPDATE!!!

Hey everybody,

I have a huge problem here: my system was a bit slow (I had a Geforce 4 MX440 64mb) and yesterday (28th august) was a -PC Dump Day- in Amsterdam so I went there and bought a new 3D card.

The card is a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600XT Edition 256MB. The installation went perfectly and I did a test with a demo of Futuremark’s, I forgot the name… :expressionless: But anyways, that went perfactly so I started Blender 2.34 to see if the new 3D card made any difference.

But when I opened BLender and saw the window with the name and version number of Blender (wich disappears when you move your mouse) my PC freezed totally. My mouse disappeared and not even the NumLock butten or Ctr-Alt-Del worked. After resetting my PC and trying to open BLender again I had the same problem…

Does anybody thow what my problem is and what I can do about it, PLEASE REPLY!!!

Please help me out here :frowning:

Sander

UPDATE!!!

Updating drivers and installing Catalyst drivers haven’t done me much good. Deleting old NVidia drivers and programs did good and a tiny post I found elsewhere gave me the sollution: change the colour depth of the desktop from 32 bits or 64 bits to 16 bits and MY 3d card (Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600XT 256mb) works perfectally with Blender.

So that’s all I did, just lower the amount of colours to 16bits. (By the way I also deleted old NVidia drivers!)

So that’s all folks!

I had the very same problem. I bought exactly the same card, and had exactly the same problems. I tried to change to another radeon, but it wasn’t any better, so I just changed my card to an Nvidia 5700 and it works perfectly now. It seems that blender has problems with all or almost all Radeon cards…

Well good luck anyway.

-Antiggo

These post are off topic.

I Have an ATI Radeon 9600XT and blender 2.34 work perfectly … in linux (Debian Sid). With windows xp I have problems.

ermm,… sounds bad,

maybe if ATI Radeon were notified about this problem, then they might be able to fix it u witha drivers update?

so ATI Radeon hardware surport is proberly the best place to go,

i use a nvidia card,
i am sure that if they were notified about problems like these then they will try to fix it

i just bought a brand new laptop: ati radeon PCG-K215b
basically a radeon chip. had some problems, not like yours though. try searching for ’ ATI radeon catalyst’ in the the general forum. i got help there. cant remember the exact post. you download old drivers and uncompress a file and put it in the blender folder( you dont actually install the old drivers)

as i said do a search( button on top right) dont know if it’ll fix your problem but its worth a try

uhh, what drivers?

what version of windows?

because, I have an ati radeon 9600SE [younger brother…], and have not had any problems that would cause the system to freeze in blender

the drivers included with the card were however, dated

try the latest ones

Many problems people have had with radeons are from switching to one from an nvidia card. You need to make sure you remove the old drivers properly before putting on the new ones. Do a google search for drivercleaner (I think that was the name), run that to remove all the drivers, reinstall the radeon drivers, and do the opengl fix for Blender. Hopefully that will fix the problem (and any others you might have had).

that should never have been necescary

and in 2.34 it isn’t

Yeah, it’s annoying that happened. I never realised that it wasn’t needed with 2.34, that is one less thing to worry about hehe.

There are two wierd things here: 1. I have a visiontek 9600xt 256, and i dont have that problem
2. I still have the ati slowdown in 2.34

is there something i have to do to make it go away?

BMD

If you have this problem DO NOT UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS! You must DOWNGRADE to catalyst version 3.9 or lower! ATI broke a feature that blender used for drawing in their later release, so the solution is to downgrade your drivers.

/d_m

what are you talking about?

blender 2.23 [no, not a typo] somehow didn’t have the “ati slowdown” bug, and blender 2.34 doesn’t have the ati slowdown bug because it uses glflush instead of glfinnish [glfinnish should return when drawing is complete, glflush should return immedately]. It is a bug that the changes make a difference, but it is also a bug that was not in 2.23

one cannot say it was entirely the fault of ati with version 3.9, nor can they say it was entirely the fault of blender 2.25 [I haven’t checked 2.34 for that bug]

running older drivers means THERE ARE BUGS THAT HAVE SINCE BEEN FIXED, and MANY GAMES WILL RUN ABNORMALLY.

there are many opengl fixes that have come more recently, such as the 4.7 and 4.8 drivers. Although they do not effect blender [the bf-blender tree], they are still there and may become a problem in the future if you continue to not update your drivers or not use a consistent version.

There’s a problem with Radeon 9600s where a game/program will freeze up completely and you have to restart the computer.

A quick fix is to lower your AGP settings to 4X as opposed to 8X. This comes at a price though, as it slows down the computer. I don’t know how exactly, but yeah, that’s one way.

btw, I have a Radeon 9600XT which works fine for Blender and most other apps.

what kind of system do you have that you actually get a performance benefit from agp 8x?

yeah, at some time it may make a difference but the biggest problem with agp is that it is only fast in one direction: to the graphics card

the other way is painfully, painfully, painfully slow [iirc only 100Mb or so per second]

well anway, the ati driver config has options under the advanced button that let you set the agp sped to 4x, also it is probably in your bios settings

or, at least I thought it was in the driver. it appears several things have changed in 4.8

[I think that is enough ranting from me for today]

Hey everybody thanks very mcuh for all your replys, I have mailed the problem to Sapphire and to ati radeon, but haven’t heard form them yet.

I’ll download new drivers and make sure the nvidea (i ha d a Club3D Geforce 4 MX440 64 mb) stuff is removed.

I hope it will work then

By the way, does it perhaps help if i re-installed blender?

Thanks for the good ideas

Sander

I have a different sort of problem with a Radeon card. Everything works fine in blender, no slow downs, etc until I render something. It will render fine, but then after that, belnder will hang. I can’t even get the 3d window back. I have to shut down blender and start it up again. then I can work as before until I render…

Does anyone else have this problem? I loaded up version 2.34 and the first time I ran it it worked perfectly. But the next day it started doing this freezing after render thing.

Matt

Hey everybody, I have downloaded the newest ATI radeon driver…but still…you get it; absolutely the same problem.

I heard i should download a old catalyst driver, whatever that may be …

Can anybody confirm me and explain me what to do?

I have a radeon 9800 and I’ve never had any problems with blender, either WinXP or suse 9.1

“A” UNUSUAL BUT WORKING SOLLUTION

Updating drivers and installing Catalyst drivers haven’t done me much good. Deleting old NVidia drivers and programs did good and a tiny post I found elsewhere gave me the sollution: change the colour depth of the desktop from 32 bits or 64 bits to 16 bits and MY 3d card (Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600XT 256mb) works perfectally with Blender.

So that’s all I did, just lower the amount of colours to 16bits. (By the way I also deleted old NVidia drivers!)

So that’s all folks!

Good to hear, now put that graphics card to work and make some stunning blender work :slight_smile: