Audi R8

Well, I have tried (and failed) to model this car about 5 times. Here is what I have so far but could I ask for assistance in how to model the grill shown in the screenshot. Any help would be much appreciated.

TC

Attachments

Made this using arrays:

http://i44.tinypic.com/x1yi3o.png

Just delete the diamonds you don’t need.

Attachments

grill.blend (319 KB)

Looking good so far. You might try creating an image of your grill material in GIMP or Photoshop and using that for the grill work. If you need something a bit more sculpted then I’d suggest a Normal Map.

The front looks good so far, at least it looks good in solid-mode, what about your topology?
Might wanna post a wire-frame…(either a screen-shot of edit-mode or render)
Take a look at this video , it shows how do do good wire renders, unless you already know how to…
Ya, the car is awesome i hope you succeed in making it.
Good luck.

Thanks for the comments :o. Minor update: Added the Audi Logo onto the bonnet.
Here is the wireframe, enoy. I’ll hopefully get more done soon but I have a busy few months filled with exams.

Attachments

great start!

About the grill. In gimp how would u make it. I probably know most of the steps but, when it comes to the alpha map is where i’m confused. What’s a quicker way of making an alpha map for such a thing in gimp.

Sha, I don’t really understand what you are asking. Anyways, I just realised I never posted the (Slightly) updated render so here it is.

TC

Attachments

you doing the inside?

What i meant was the air vent grills, how do u turn an image of a grill image to an alpha map? I’ve worked with alpha maps for leaves and probably other things but never tried a netty or grill type image it seems to complex or maybe i’m overlooking something. It’s probably a silly question but how is it done?

@Ionee: I may model the interior depending on how inspired and patient I am feeling when I get to that stage.
@Sha: I have never worked with Alpha Maps. I did the vent grills as MCNano suggested by using an array modifier so I am sorry I cannot be of more assistance.

TC

Thanks anyway topcat. U have brilliant work going on there and the topology work is perfect. I think u can help me out on this, take a look at these images it’s my attempt of placing in an air vent on the side skirt of a car i’m working on:

U see I know the air vent can be placed in a far better way, i want the mesh to be left smooth but the current state as u see is a mess. Do u think u can help out with some advice.

Attachments

I think you should start your own thread before you hijack this one, and in it you could post the reference you are modeling from. How can we help you if we don’t know how it should look? :stuck_out_tongue:

If anything you should spread out the edges or lower the crease percentage to smooth out those edges.

@Topcat you’re welcome :).

Ooops! I had completely forgotten to thank you. So here is a slightly belated thanks. Thank you for your assistance MCNano117 :smiley:
And Sha, I spy a gap between the door (If that is the door) and the bodywork.

TC

Ok Sha, I have gone out of my way to try and help with your first query about Alpha Maps… This might help you.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Using_a_texture_to_make_a_material_partially_transparent

I am not going to model your car for you :no:, that is where perseverance comes in. I have restarted this project at least 4 times before this so the only advice I am going to give you is: If you aren’t happy with it then start that part again. I find that to be much faster than constantly tweaking with what already exists. That way you will learn and you will be much more satisfied than if I told you exactly how to do it. If you insist on recieving help then start your own thread as MCNano117 stated.

(Sorry for the double post)
TC

I thought I’d ask u topcat as ur audi r8 has good topology going on, didn’t mean any offence just needed to refresh my mind on how i’d go about modelling in things like air vents, i haven’t worked on cars for ages. About the referance,theres isn’t a specific one I’m making it all up while looking at various cars.

OK, a very belated update (loads of revision has taken priority :() I have added the doors and updated the front. Also been messing around with the materials. Too shiny?

TC

Attachments

Ouch. I forgot one crease above the wheelarch so here is a very minor update.

TC

Attachments

The paint looks perfect to me on the hood, but it looks much different on the bumper. Maybe the specularity is too high or too soft. Also I think it might be better to finish a rough model of the entire car before you go in and do the details. Looking great though you got that hood paint dead on.

I just posted a tutorial on how to make grilles, maybe you can make some use of it. It’s posted here.