Audio stops working while lipsyncing

I am running Blender 2.42a. Windows XP, Athlon XP 3000 + 2.16 GHz, 512 MB of ram.

I loaded and audio file in the sequence editor to lipsync my animation to. I have turned off subsurf. Every time I start scrubbing the audo to set my shape keys and make an adustment to the keys in the action editor or the IPO window, my audio file stops working. The audio will not play even if I hit alt-a. I have to save the file and close out blender and then restart blender and reopen the file. It then works until I start making new adjustments and I have to go through the same process.

Is there anyone out there that knows what is causing this?

Hmm… it is a known fact that blender’s sound system is quite shoddy, and in need of upgrading. Try doing this on another file to determine whether it’s that file or blender in general not liking your computer’s soundcard.

Aligorith

I think I have fixed the problem!

I found that the same file would work on my notebook computer with no problem. I then uninstalled blender from the computer that I am having the problem and deleted the Blender Foundation folder including the B.blend file. After reinstalling blender it seems to be working fine now. If the problem starts again I will let it be known.

Thanks

After reinstalling Blender and working with keys a while when lipsyncing. The audio drops out again and I have to restart blender.

Any suggestions?

Blender has two sound systems, the game engine sound system and the sound system used in the sequencer. Under linux at least I have to turn off the game engine sound system when starting up blender to have scrubbing of sound while lip syncing work reliably (one sound system blocks the other). On linux you start blender with “blender -g noaudio” to turn off the game engine sound – it shold be similar for windows.

GreyBeard

Thanks, I’ll give it a try and see what happens.