AudVis - audio visualization add-on

Hi, I’m an author of blender add-on “AudVis”. Its basic goal is to make it easier to create animations responsive to sound, including real-time sound analyzing.
It is available in Blender Market, but if you send me a message, I will send you a free copy. It works best with Blender 2.80 and 2.81, but I’m testing it also on the newest builds.
I would like to receive some feedback from you. I would like to know if there is any space for this add-on in the world. And if you like this idea, I would really appreciate any suggestions, bug reports, feature requests…

Here is my youtube channel with some videos created with it.

11 Likes

Hi,
I bought the addon a few weeks ago on Blender Market and found it very useful. Did some experiment and works well. I make music myself and therefore I see some interesting applications, but I lack time. But definitely will come back to you for ideas when I have more time.
Thanks for the nice addon!

3 Likes

Hi there!!
I’m really interested on your addon
Is possible to test it before buying?
thank you!

Hello and welcome to the community.

I can’t believe that someone has finally created an addon that does exactly this. WOW.

I have been trying to figure out how to feed/stream live audio to create the same effects using the particle/physics system with no luck.
Will there be any future development towards that?

I have an extensive music collection (ex DJ ) and use MusicBee for my playlists. Can I assume that I will be able to use AudVis along with it?
Or also with 2 turntables?
Or with DJ mixing software?

I only had time so far today to check out the first demo video…WOW, but will check out the others and all the documentation later today when I have some time.

Thanks.

Hi, I’m glad you like this idea.

AudVis Real Time Analyzer uses small python library sounddevice . Basically it captures sound data from your sound card. Almost all setting is done in your operating system. When you have setting done, you can visualize music playing in web browser, in music player, coming from microphone, jack input…

When animating physics and particles, you can find some Blender’s limitations. Many things don’t work as good as I would like. Some properties in particles are not animatable at all (for example Emitter -> Emission -> Number). Some properties are animatable, but they don’t really update (Hair -> Render -> Scale). I hope the new Particle Nodes will improve the situation. I can’t wait for this feature.

Development of AudVis is still living. Once I got obsessed with this idea, I could not stop :smiley: I don’t really have plans, I just develop what I’m missing there right now. If you have any ideas, I will do my best to put it into AudVis.

Hello
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I see what you mean about the physics addition.
Did not know about the particle node development, good news.

I have a couple of more questions if you don’t mind.
In AudVis, can it rotate/track camera around the object being animated? On any or all axis?
Or, can the object being animated, rotate around on any or all of it’s axis?
From the documentation, can’t tell if this is possible.
Also, can AudVis control any lights? For example turn say 3 different colored lights on and off? For create lighting effects in the scene.

Also was wondering if you plan to sell this at Gumroad.com, I have an account there.
I don’t have a account at Blender Market, but have no problem creating one there to buy this.
Thanks in advance.

With AudVis, you can animte almost anyting you want. Just right click on any numeric property anywhere and if you see there an option Add Driver, you can animate it. Not everything works flawlessly as I mentioned in the case of particles, but almost everything works. You can animate colors, shading nodes, compositing nodes, lamp strength, size, rotation, location of objects… I don’t even know everything what is animatable in Blender :slight_smile: When you mentioned camera in your question, I have tried now animating Focal Length and it makes a nice dramatic effect :slight_smile:

Camera tracking isn’t something my add-on solves. You do it just the way how it’s normally done in Blender.

I hope I will sell it at Gumroad soon. [edit] Things got faster than I thought https://gum.co/audvis // update: audvis is not available on gumroad anymore

Oh WOW, thanks for the copy, that was very kind of you. I’ll have to find some time this weekend to try it out, in the middle of remodeling a bathroom :crazy_face:

This is way cool that almost can be animated. I even dont know everything what is animatable in Blender. This will be a fun way to learn. I’ll try to figure out how to move the camera around an object using some type of object constraint.
So just right click on any numeric property anywhere and if you see there an option Add Driver…seems so easy!
I’ll pop back in next week with some feedback.
Again, thanks for the copy.

hey example.sk,

congrats on your add on I really like the results I saw on the internet, I am a student and working on a senior project, Its basicly creating visual representations from soundscapes of places for deaf people.

I would love to test and try your add on!

1 Like

Good news everyone!

I have just released a new version of AudVis - 1.4.0.

New version is available at Blender Market

Change log:

• UI - now you can use settings in the Scene as in previous versions, but also in the N-panel of 3D view
  • Example generator - added new options
  • Minor fixes and UI improvements

Hi there, It’s me again.

There is a new version of AudVis - 1.5.0. It’s quite a big deal. What has changed?

• Example generator is redesigned
  • Example generator - added new options:
    – Shape - now you can choose if you want to put all the generated objects into grid, circle, or along a selected curve
    – “Scale” - now you can choose fixed scale for generated objects instead of keeping it up to magic calculations inside AudVis
    – Custom frequency step - for cooler effects
  • Shape modifier - added option to set custom frequency step. It’s basically the same as in Example generator
  • Few bugs were fixed, the most important one was that with Sequence analyzer, sometimes first frames were “driven” incorrectly.

What’s next? First of all, I’m planning to add support for baking Shape modifier. Next step will be improved material support in Example generator. Both probably in the next version.
If you are missing any features, please let me know.

New version is available on Blender Market and Gumroad

1 Like

Watch tutorial here:

2 Likes

Hello World!

The new version of AudVis, 1.6.0, is completed. Whats new?

• Baking of shape modifier - now you can use audvis’s Shape Modifier feature and then render your project in the render farm, or on a computer without AudVis installed
  • Bake Drivers improved - now you can see the progress and cancel baking any time
  • Party mode fixed - in the party mode, the gizmo in the top right corner was hidden
  • Sequence analyzer - now you can add sound sequence directly from Sequence Analyzer ui, without using Video Editing workspace
  • Example Generator - now you can make a copy of material for each generated object. It’s not so much needed since Blender 2.81 was released, so please, use it only if you really need it.

I need to express my love to Blender 2.81. There is a new option, Color, in “Object Info” shader node. Here is how you can animate materials using this new feature:

If you have any questions, feature requests, bug reports or anything, I’m here for you.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Good news, everyone! A new version 1.7.0 is in the world!

Main new features:

• Spectrogram
  • Button to help you to use AudVis with Animation Nodes
  • Value normalization for fine tuning the animations

AudVis 1.7.0 is available in BlenderMarket and Gumroad.

1 Like

Thanks for the update.
In case you develop the addon further, which I suppose, here an idea.
On the piano, quite a low A (A3) has a frequency of 220hz, the next A 440 and the next higher up: 880hz. On the piano these keys have the same distance, but the numbers 220, 440 and 880 have another distance. (not 220, 440, 660, etc)
I believe the result is, that we see more effect on the lower frequencies.
Also, in music, the lower frequencies are often louder than the higher frequencies.
Therefore those spectrum analysizer, they use a kind of algorithm I think, so that the display with the led-bars looks more weighted . (My apology for my English, It’s hard to explain as well, but I think you know what I mean.)

My question is if you plan to use another formula/algorithm in the future for the spectrum analyser?

I can’t stop developing this, because I’m too far behind the line of addiction :smiley: I’m spending almost all of my available time with this.

Today I was thinking about something similar. I think this can be for me one of the main goals for the next version.

You can play with the values of Highpass Frequency and Highpass Strength under the Driver Values panel. Maybe this can bring you closer to your desired results. It’s not an orthodox highpass filter. It’s just a linear function. It’s like this because I wanted to make it a little bit faster. And because I’m lazy. Maybe I will add an option to choose the highpass filter algorithm… image

Don’t apologize for your English. I’m learning multiple languages and I can’t speak/write correctly even in my native language. The main thing is to say what you want to say. If correctly, it’s usually not so much important. Mainly in English. A huge part of English speakers are not native English speakers with Cambridge accent and diploma.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it so much. Feedback is crucial for making (almost?) any product better.

Edit: Now I have tried Highpass Frequency 22000 and Highpass Strength 1. This gave me quite good results. But yeah, I need to focus a little bit to piano. It’s quite different sound than any other music I am usually trying to use.

1 Like

Hi, example.sk,

You have made a very usefull addon. I’d like to know if it’s still possible to have a free copy ot it.

Thanx in advance.

Thanx for this very very fast answer. I’m going to test it right now. :wink:

Hello my dear AudVisers,

There is a new version, 1.8.0 and as I mentioned in the previous post, I have done some work on values. It’s under the “Driver Values” panel, checkbox “Use Better Filters”. It’s turned off as default to keep the old projects behave the same way as they did. When you enable it, you can see the new options:
If you want to know more about the new behavior, search here for “ADSR”.
This option makes analyzing a little bit slower, but it’s done only once per frame, so it’s not so bad. You will probably not notice the difference.

The second thing is under the “Bake Drivers” panel.

The usage is quite specific, but still pretty much useful. This is example of Animation Nodes used with this trick:

To save your time, here is the example file. You need just the Animation Nodes add-on and AudVis 1.8.0 (or higher if you are reading in the future :slight_smile: )

Enjoy!

1 Like

Good news, everyone!

I would like to introduce you a new version of AudVis, 1.9.0.

What’s new?

• Shape modifier:
    • Added support for Grease Pencil objects. You draw into frame 0 (zero) and AudVis makes a modified copy into frame 1. The reason why I have made it this way is that Grease Pencil doesn’t have shape keys. With grease pencil, you can animate also the pressure or the strength.
    • Improved speed of Shape Modifier, mainly for Location Z option of Animation Type.
    • Added a new animation type - Track to Object and Location.
    • Added a new setting for Mesh objects - “Use Vertex Group”. This creates a new vertex group named “AudVis Location Weight”. By setting weights, you can set the factor for each vertex, and which vertices are used (by setting vertex weight to 0 or removing a vertex from this group).
  • A new option under Driver Values → Use Better Filter → Use Curve. With this, you can control values similar to HIghpass or Lowpass filters. Left side of the graph represents lower frequencies, right side represents higher frequencies. Warning: this has impact on performance
  • Spectrogram - added a new mode - “One Image”. This makes an image with height same as the frames count (animation with 1000 frames will have it’s height 1000px). This also makes baking much faster and the result is much smaller because it produces only one image for the whole animation, in comparison with the “Rolling” mode which produces one image per frame. These two modes are quite different, so just play with them. The decision which one you want to use is up to you.

I hope you enjoy 1.9.0.
And happy new year to all of you!

1 Like