Auto Key- setting not saved with file

I’ve just started using the auto key to save poses as I animate and it works as expected however, it appears the autokey setting is not saved with the file (2.4a2 Mac) so when I come back to the file at a later date and start animating, I lose poses until I remember to turn it back on again.

Is this how it’s always been? Do people have a way of working with this or is it just a matter of remembering to turn it on every time?

Also, when I’ve read about auto key I’ve seen references to separate buttons - one for objects, one for actions - with a suggestion to only use the Action auto key as this is the real time saver and safety option. But 2.37a and 2.4a2 only have one button that sets both auto keys together. Did it used to be different and if so, does anyone know why it was changed?

it appears the autokey setting is not saved with the file

You would need to Ctrl-U to save the setting. It’s a GUI setting, not SceneData.

Did it used to be different and if so

Don’t remember.

%<

Yeah, that’s what I suspected but if I save it as a defualt, I then have to remember to turn it off when I’m animating other objects (This is based solely on numerous suggestions that “autokey armature = good”, “autokey object = bad” and not on any personal knowledge or preference).