Auto-rig Pro [3.69]

thats good news :slight_smile: much appreciated!

Damn i have missed that entry in the doc.

Also sadly i could not manage to get Heat diffusion skinning addon to work in conjunction with autorig when i exclude vertices.
i match my rig, i bind it, i select the vertices i want to exclude. Then i compute with the normal rig. After that one more time with the rig_add, but somehow it ends up with not handling the excluded vertices. They loose their weight i got when i bound the mesh. - i think that was the order you suggested in the doc right?

Did you check ā€œProtect Selected Verticesā€ in the Voxel skinning panel?
If so, itā€™s definitely an oddity, please send a PM with your blend file iā€™ll investigate.

Hey, managed to get it working! - i think the addon was outdated maybe? got it at the end of last yearā€¦ redownloaded it and reinstalled it now it is working! :slight_smile:

Alright, glad to hear :slight_smile:

Increasing the orthographic scale fixed the UI cam. Thank you!

I have an suggestion: you could parent the leg pole vectors c_leg_pole.* to world space and add a Child-Of constraint to the feet to allow toggling to world space controls. And you could do the same with the arm pole vectors too!

I have a character that I rigged with an older version of AutoRigPro (not sure which one, but it was last august or so.) I am now doing a new project with the same character, but am making updates and improvements.

Is there a best way to update the old rig to a newer version? i can treat it was a new rig but fit it to match the previous and re-use the same weights, but I wanted to check if thereā€™s a better option.

Thanks!

Yes definitely, this feature is on the roadmap since a while, iā€™ll look forward to adding it.

The ā€œUpdate Armatureā€ button in the Misc tab ensure that old armatures work with the latest version of the addon (it may be necessary to apply Match to Rig afterward). However itā€™s not a full update, for example the bones shapes are not updated. It only ensures the technical compatibility.

For a full update, itā€™s necessary to rig again the character. To speed up the process, you can import-export the reference bones position. Also as youā€™ve stated, do not delete the vertex groups and armature modifiers, just assign the new armature object in the target field of the armature modifiers.

I am re-rigging my character with the new version. Exporting the previous bone positions and then re-importing them worked fine. However, the Reference bones do not have the correct Roll and so do not line up with the limbs and joint angles. I manually rolled the reference bones to be the right angle and hit Match to Rig. However, when it updated the rig, the roll changes had been undone. And if I go back to editing the reference bones, they are back to being unrolled.

How do I fix this? Do I need to adjust the roll on the main rig instead of the reference bones?

EDIT: From previous responses, i see that i need to line the bones up properly. This is difficult to do on the elbows with the arm at an angle.

@Lucky: Late reply, but I donā€™t think I can. I deleted the file a while back (and Iā€™m using a new machine, which means itā€™s impossible anyway). And Iā€™ve yet to upgrade to the new version as I canā€™t afford it at this present time.

Also, I was wondering, is there any way to incorporate a way to make a rig that enables you to move the ankle joint without being forced to rotate the entire leg at the same time? Iā€™ve noticed that in a lot of rigs recently, and itā€™s rather annoying, to say the least.

@Ascalon Updating the armature may require to click again Match to Rig to align the bones orientations.
Indeed the IK chain roll is calculated based on the bones alignment, this is also explained here. This is necessary for the IK-FK chains to snap and align properly.

@Philmister978 Ok no worries. The ankle should not move the whole leg (I have several working rigs here and have just tried a new rig from scratch), I guess there must have been something unsual in the mesh that prevented the auto skinning to work as it should (inverted normals, non water tight mesh, deficient topologyā€¦ many causes). In this case just weight paint the vertex group to remove the unnecessary weights.

Hello Lucky,
Iā€™m trying your great addon with no issue so far.
But I would like to rig a wereWolf which has a supplementary bone on the legs :

Is it possible to rig it with your addon without destrying anything ?
Thanks,

Seb

Hello Seb,

Actually to rig this kind of legs, the trick is to put the foot heel position at the third dot on your screenshot when starting from the toes, while the toes are actually replacing the feet. This is how quadrupeds are generally built, they walk on their toes, instead of walking on their heel like us humans.

Le dim. 19 aoĆ»t 2018 Ć  19:09, rattle-snake [email protected] a Ć©crit :

Working Like a charm !
Your addon worth every penny :smiley:

Salutation de France :wink:
Seb

Hi Artell, what is your recommended workflow for skinning while working with rig_add vertex groups? Skin normalization doesnā€™t seem to recognize there are two armatures that should be normalized separately, so they I think the would have to be renamed or set to zero while painting the ordinary skin weights.

Iā€™m currently copying the rig weights and rig_add weights to separate meshes and then merging the groups onto the final object using a DataTransfer.

1 Like

@rattle-snake Thank you from France :slight_smile: !

@Aerys Actually itā€™s not really necessary to normalize weights in Blender, unlike other softwares it should not lead to any issues related to non-normalized weights. However you can lock the rig_add vertex groups by clicking the small padlock icon next to the group names in the list (check the rig_add armature bones to see which bone name belong to the rig_add), then normalize all weights.

I attached a gun to my hand, but after exporting gun disappears. Help me please

![2|667x500]

Sorry direct object-bone parent is not yet supported.
However this could be implemented in the next update. But for now the gun must have an armature modifier with a vertex group assigned.

1 Like

Now after exporting the gun does not disappear, but it does not move together with the hand. Can I somehow attach a gun to my hand so that he moves with it?

Clear the current bone parent of the gun (Alt-P) and make sure all of the gun vertices are assigned to a group named ā€œhand.lā€ or ā€œhand.rā€. If it still does not work please send a support message including the blend file.

Hello there. Iā€™m in urgent need of help. The addon is amazing and very intuitive. However, every time I need to animate my characterā€™s main position all new keyframes goes crazy. Iā€™m animating both c_traj and c_pos, but no luck.

What would be the best workflow to make a character walk or jump (which is what I really need) or even turn around?

Thanks.