Auto-rig Pro [3.69]

Okay, thanks. That makes sense.

Thanks. I’m completely new to rigging in Blender as 3ds Max is my main program. I assumed that there would be an extra bone feature that would be added to the rig with controllers. I suppose using duplicate arms/legs/neck bones would work.

Ah OK thanks @lucky that helps. I’ll make sure to check that the bones have the proper angle.

This screenshot shows the locations of the poles which are super super far. Luckily they actually do match the animations now, I think the issue was actually more that the hand was super far away from the shoulder after remapping, so I did an additive animation layer to fix that.

But ya it’s weird that the poles are so far away (as in screenshot). Is that normal?

Also thanks for being active during vacation :slight_smile: you’re super helpful to the community and I thank you for that!! Enjoy your vacay

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out the issue @darklord666, indeed depending on the IK bones angle, the pole could be positionned too far away. I’ve just fixed it, they’re now closer in the latest version 3.41.58, please let me know if you have any more similar issues with it.

Awesome thank you @lucky!!! Will test it out.

Hi Lucky,
thank you for your great plugin, which I recently purchased.
Similar to autoc and dfblem1 the foots of the character remain at the initial position.
(Blender 2.8, AutoRigPro 3.4.1 58, FBX mixamo import)
Turning to FK mode means deactivate the IK option in the remap panel?
could you please give me a hint?
Greetings, Torsten

Hey guys – wondering if anyone can help me out with the following workflow.

Im working with Mocap data captured with IKinema Orion (Vive trackers). Im then rigging a character with ARP, and using the Remap feature to retarget the animation. Afterward, I use an Additive Animation Layer to fix up and beautify the animation.

Issue: Although I generally understand the Euler vs Quaternion issue, I dont really know what the best workflow is. According to ARP documentation, I should be using Euler. Is Euler easiest to work with? I get that typical issue where the hand will rotate super crazily fairly often, and I don’t know how to fix that.

So I just want to clarify, should I be using Euler or Quaternion? If I use Euler, then how do I go about fixing those pesky crazy bone rotation issues? Should some bones be Euler and some Quaternion?

Thanks gang

If you use IK retargetting, the feet controllers must be set to IK mode (by default it’s IK). In Blender 2.80 this parameter can be found in the “Tool” menu:
http://lucky3d.fr/auto-rig-pro/doc/rig_behaviour_doc.html#arms-and-legs

If you use FK retargetting (as shown in your screenshot), the feet controllers must be set to FK mode.

To fix the gimbal lock issues (weird rotations), you can download and install the euler filter addon originally made by Wesen that i’ve ported to Blender 2.80 and i’ve also made a few small fixes:

In the graph editor: F3 > “euler filter” > Graph: Euler Filter

You can also switch to Quaternions the whole animation of a selected bone using Rigify tools (in the View menu at the right of the viewport > Rigify Quat/Euler Converter)

Thanks @lucky! Will explore the Euler filter (thanks for updating to 2.8!!) + Quat/Euler converter.

hi lucky artell,
thank you! Works fine now

1 Like

Any chance of overlapping action feature - its the only thing thats missing from this fantastic addon
heres and example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9BxJmEItek

2 Likes

So just to follow up – it’s up to me to decide which rotation mode my rig should use? Quaternion, or Euler, and then if Euler, then choose the order (eg. XYZ, ZXY, YXZ, etc etc)?

I think what i’m also asking is, what is best practice? Should hands be quaternions while other bones be euler?

And if I set these before remapping, what happens to my rotation mode / order? Does it keep the original rig settings or does it switch the rotation mode to match the source?

Separate question: I have noticed that when I remap a new action while there is a current action strip in the NLA, it seems to remap strangely. The new remapped action will REQUIRE the old action strip to remain in the NLA. Removing the old action strip will funk up the new action completely. So, when I remap, is it proper procedure to remove all actions from the NLA?

Thank you!!

Woah @mortas that looks amazing. But lol, do you mind explaining to me what’s happening there exactly? Not 100% sure I understand what overlapping is doing.

Also makes me wonder, in Unreal Engine you can blend physics with animation, and I was wondering if anyone here has ever done that in blender or if it’s possible?

That overlay thing is AWESOME. Just like magic.

1 Like

Edit: Question removed… Brain with accompanying eyes was starting to cooperate and both managed to find the solution … so i found the other panel that even surpassed what i thought was possible in AutoRig Pro…

Cheers

Me again… I have another problem with the Foot roll controller that for some reason seems to have a supersensitive setting so the foot flies around in horizontal circles when the handle is grabbed (G) or rotated ( R)…

I will send a PM with the small video i made if you can make anything out of it. I have made a fresh install of both Blender 2.80 ( release) and Auto Rig pro 3.41 as i suspected i had made some setting that were interfering, but the same issue happens after the clean install as well… I haven’t made any weird settings in in Blenders config more than some he standard settings…

Cheers

So just to follow up – it’s up to me to decide which rotation mode my rig should use?
Yes, both methods have pros and cons:
Euler:
(+) convenient to visualize keyframes in the graph editor
(-) it leads to gimbal lock issues.
Quaternions:
(+) no gimbal lock issues, always results in correct interpolations
(-) difficult to understand what is going on in the graph editor because of the 4 components (W,X,Y,Z)

Indeed, it may be better to switch to quaternions bones that required a high amount of rotation:
root, head, hands and optionally feet. But it depends on required motions and your own preferences.

And if I set these before remapping, what happens to my rotation mode / order? Does it keep the original rig settings or does it switch the rotation mode to match the source?

Sorry I’m not sure to understand the question, remapping does not change the rotation order/mode unless you do change it expressively.

Separate question: I have noticed that when I remap a new action while there is a current action strip in the NLA, it seems to remap strangely.

Yes it’s supposed to work without existing animation, retargetting needs blank animation data.
There is no tool currently to remove existing actions, they have to be deleted manually.

Any chance of overlapping action feature - its the only thing thats missing from this fantastic addon
heres and example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9BxJmEItek

Looks like the Spring feature of 3dsMax! I’ve already started to write a similar addon, but it’s not released yet. You can look for “Jiggle Bones” addon for Blender, someone made one as well.

Someone reported a similar issue a few hours ago, which i’ve just fixed very recently! You can download the latest Auto-Rig Pro version.
Basically the method to setup Transformation constraint was incorrect when using unusual Unit Scale (0.01) or with very large rig scale.
A new “Legacy” button has been added, to handle backward-compatibility, not to break any existing animations.

Faster than a speeding Bullet… Thanks a lot for the fast answer… and the fix ofcourse…

1 Like