Auto-rig Pro [3.69]

Thanks for answering the previous post, ARP keeps adding up in usefulness…

Well, i’m not sure what a solid argument means, but for me that do all coding in C++ in Unreal, do levelbuilding, texturing, modelling, sounddesign and animations means i need the fastest tools i can buy to save some precious time… …and i can really sink in to hours of minute animating… until it’s perfected… this sh*t is addictive :slight_smile:

ARP has the slider readily available and i use it all the time to get a rough hand, then make a pose ( using the pose library)… Every time i use the slider i still need to move the first phalanxes by hand and it’s very timeconsuming… I now animate many types of characters that uses weapons, things the character should hold, double grips, swords, gripping a handle on a door e.t.c e.t.c and it’s nice to make every animation feel organic so i don’t like to copy and paste which makes them “feel” the same

I’m thinking if there was a value box i could set a value between 0.0f and 1.0f this would serve as a ratio of which the main slider percentually rotates the first phalanx… this would save a tremendous amount of time on this pretty tedious labour.

For an animator that mostly do animations that need a blank canvas every time they start to work just leave that value at 0.0f. This value also act together with the slider so it shouldn’t be a separate function

A second question… Is there a way to add twistbones on an imported skeleton like Unreal FPS arms or the SK Mannequin or do i need to set this and rig it from scratch? I could not make it happen

Cheers and sorry for a long post

@HokusPokus Thanks for the feedback, this will be considered.

Auto-Rig Pro has been updated to the 3.61.20 version!

Highlights:

New “Rig Layers” menu, to quickly hide or show rig components: armature layers, bones, collection and objects. Useful to toggle some features of a character (clothes, props…) or show/hide a given set of controllers. Each layer can be hidden or shown individually, and the star icon button allows to display only this layer and hide others.

Skull bones are now disabled by default. More facial modularity will be worked on later.

The interface has been polished with sub-panels.

subpanels

Binding performances have been significantly improved, from 3 to 5 times faster when using the weights improvements settings! Also heels weights can now be improved automatically by enabling the “Improve Heel Weights” toggle, before/after comparison:

heels_skinning_packed

The weight improvement features are useful to improve default automatic weights, see here why they matter. (if pictures don’t show, press F5 to refresh the web cache of the documentation pages)

Static source bones are now supported for the remap tool, by popular demand.

And finally, an important fix to workaround the compatibility breakage with Blender 2.93 and exporting Linked or Overridden rigs with Auto-Rig Pro to FBX.

Full log below:

–[3.61.20]–

New/improved:

• Rig: New Rig Layers menu, to quickly hide or show rig components: armature layers, bones, collection and objects. Useful to toggle some features of a character (clothes, props…) or show/hide a given set of controllers.

• Rig: Skull bones are now optional and disabled by default

• Rig: Interface of rig tools/settings has been improved with imbricated sub-panels for better clarity

• Rig: Extended maximum arms/legs twist bones amount to 32

• Rig: By default some secondary controllers were just hidden, leading to display them when revealing all bones (Alt-H), even when Secondary Controllers were set to None. This was a bit of a problem, the code has been refactored to hard-delete and create bones on the fly when clicking Match to Rig.

• Rig: Renamed internal property to avoid conflict. Required to click the Update button (as prompted automatically) with old armatures

• Skin: Binding performances significant speed up. Although the weight improvement functions were useful (smooth twist bones weights, refining hips weights…) they were bloated with lots of overhead. Binding is now from 3 to 5 times faster (!) after minimizing Python code overhead and optimizing functions with dedicated built-in operators.

• Skin: New “Improve Heel Weights” setting to improve automatic skinning in the ankle/heel area

• Skin: Warning message when binding meshes with more than 150.000 polygons, can be slow

• Export: Less than 3 spine bones are now supported as Humanoid type (3 was the minimum before)

• Export: Improved consistency with the actions export dialog, added messages relative to “Only Active” and warn if no actions are exported

• Remap: Static source bones (not animated) are now supported, they appear in the bones list

• Remap: When importing a preset, the browser now uses automatic filtering for .bmap format files

Fixed:

• Export: Overridden and proxy armatures export breakage with Blender 2.93
  • Export: Spine bend bones could not be exported when more than 2
  • Export: Avoid and fix vertex group names conflict
  • Skin: Eyelids weights improvements were broken in some cases
6 Likes

How can I rig dog, horse or bird with auto rig. Any tutorial or idea?

How do I use Spline IK for spine?

Does anyone have any ideas? When I select the left eyebrow control in the picker, the correct control on the model and the left control on the picker are highlighted. When I select the right eyebrow control on the model, nothing highlighted on the picker.

And another question. When I rotate hand the geometry of the model is deformed. How to fix it?

You need to adjust the vertex group of the particular bone.

Go to Weight Paint Mode, find vertex group, and paint (preferable with Blur brush) the area that deforms poorly.

Trying remap the CMU mocap (daz format) to an ARP rig.

It seems from the docs there used to be more *.bmap preset files, including Daz mappings. Does anyone have that? Is there a reason it was removed.

Should I be using the MotionBuilder or 3DSMax formats instead?

I’m new to ARP and not yet familiar with what bones to remap. I’m looking to work primarily with IK.

So I’m wanting to add a face rig to an existing ARP rig without one. I see that I can create facial bones with the Add Limb feature but not sure what to do next. Do I delete the head and neck bones and simply slide the face bones into place? Is there another method to accomplish this? Help would be appreciated.

@zigzack001 Sorry for the late reply. You can use the animal rig presets for this. Regarding placement of bones and skinning, I have no tutorials to propose unfortunately, but if you have any question you can reach out to me:
http://lucky3d.fr/auto-rig-pro/doc/bug_report.html

@ComplexAce Here is the documentation for Spline IK limbs:
http://lucky3d.fr/auto-rig-pro/doc/auto_rig.html#spline-ik-options

1 Like

@Alex_Netkachev Hello, I wasn’t able to reproduce the problem. Is it possible to send a blend file for debug?
http://lucky3d.fr/auto-rig-pro/doc/bug_report.html

@Alex_Netkachev Make sure to enable the Smooth Twist Weights setting when binding to automatically improve the twist weights. If not enabled, you can follow @Coverop tips.

1 Like

@particular There are no DAZ presets yet for the Remap tool (but there are for Quick Rig on the other hand). However you can create your own presets and export/import them anytime. I plan to add a custom presets features (adding presets in the built-in list) soon.

@dcrosby It’s best to enable the “Facial” setting of the head in this case. Select the head reference bone > click “Limb Options” > Facial. This will add facial bones.
http://lucky3d.fr/auto-rig-pro/doc/auto_rig.html#head-options

OK thanks. I figured there was a more elegant way to make that happen. Works great!

1 Like

Hello, guys. What would be the best approach for rigging a woman using a office high heels? It’s best to rig her feets evenly plain on the floor, or they should be already inclined on the final feet pose?
Thanks!

When I searched “(lite) Auto Rig Pro” Google sent me here. What is it? What does it do? I can’t find any documentation on it.

@dimitribastos If this character will always keep the heels, it’s probably best to model it and rig it with heels included.