Autodesk discontinues perpetual software licenses

New perpetual licenses of most individual Autodesk products will not be available for purchase after January 31, 2016.
In the following discussion, I suggest we will focus on the moral highground that we can claim as Blender users, as well as a side-by-side comparison in how Blender and FOSS can replace everything Autodesk has to offer. Furthermore, we should take the opportunity to discuss the influence of international capitalist corporate conglomerates on 3D modelers and the greek debt crisis.

(Full Disclosure: The preceeding paragraph might contain sarcasm)

As long as I have that amazing offer…i think I will change to autodesk… man how cool is that…20 and 25 %…
New perpetual licenses of most individual Autodesk products will not be available for purchase after January 31, 2016.
I like the flowers…

is brl cad still a thing?

More and more, it will seem that there will be a point in the future where FOSS applications end up being among the only solutions that do not require monthly payments for the privilege to use.

It depends on numerous factors though, and that is whether the subscription service mandates forced upgrades, the cost of the monthly payment, and the percentage of the revenue going into actual software development (people will pay monthly for applications if it means a higher quality and more powerful feature set).

If they brought the price down so that mortals could afford them (and I’ve got a PS and ZBrush license) then I’d probably bite at this. Unfortunately, they are still ridiculously overpriced, even considering what they are capable of.

FOSS isn’t really a solution to a lot of problems. Some yes, most no.

Other soft has gone to a monthly priceplan and has not charged government contractor rates to it’s customers.

LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL - Just tried to sign up to get info on the new subscription scheme and neither the United States or the United Kingdom are on the list. So if there are any Blender users in Yemen who get a flashy brochure from Autodesk… you’re welcome.

Well,
I was never really into 3ds max and maya
so…

Now since autodesk is killing itself, yeah.

At least blender or Modo or whatever will be the industry standard

Wow this is just like adobe’s creative cloud. Amazing. Thank you audodesk for this massive saving.

Anyone here think solutions like serif’s affinity designer and affinity photo will do what they’ve done to photoshop and illustrator.

Maybe an autocad competitor?

The link I gave originally was the “international” version of the page, I’ve changed it now.

For what it’s worth, depending on where you are and whether you pick a monthly or yearly plan, the prices for a license of 3DS Max or Maya are under 150$ per month. I find this to be affordable for a professional with at least moderate income. If you’re a student of any public school, you can still use Autodesk software for free noncommercially.

For a product to be overpriced, there would have to be comparable products at a lower price. Depending on what you consider “comparable”, there’s either Modo and Lightwave, or “Nothing”.

Of course it’s little harder to say “I cannot afford this” than saying “this is overpriced” :wink:

I originally paid full whack for a a PS licence - TWICE. I’ve paid full price for a ZBrush license. If I feel that soft can work for me, I’ll pay for it.

If I hadn’t paid full price for a PS licence, I would consider that 45 a month for the whole Creative Suite is good value, considering what it can do and what I can earn from it at the moment. This would be a silly bargain if you were working at Pixar or a large newspaper.

If you were working at Blue Sky Studios or Disney, then £150 a month is peanuts. If you are an indie, then that is not really reasonable at all.

This is probably good news for professionals who use that software every day. For people like me, for which this is just a hobby, that is way too expensive. I would go for the free version but, and this is the final nail in the coffin for me, is that they don’t have Linux versions of the software (there are exceptions like Maya). There just isn’t any excuse to not have Linux versions in this day and age. Personally I would rather spend the money on a full version of 3D-Coat (I have the edu version and it’s awesome).

I’ll probably just stick to my old 3ds Max 2012. I like my perpetual licenses thank you!

My biggest issue with these new subscription-based plans is that if I ever would not have the money to pay for it anymore, all of my project files and assets will be locked away from me, inaccessible beyond a paywall. Also as Tea_Monster said, it is still hella expensive for an indie or freelancer to be able to fork out $150/month to be able to use their old files and plugins.

Technically old news.

1. This move is good for and really aimed at studios, studios often prefer subscription based models… especially when projects are only temporary or team sizes continue to change and fluctuate.
  2. This is bad for the hobbyist and individuals who do not benefit from such a business model.
  3. This is good for non autodesk software packages that still offer perpetual and subscriptions for a much lower price point.
  4. Autodesks Media and Entertainment division (maya, max, mudbox…ect) is not their big earner anyways… so they are not really all that reliant on it to bring in most of their revenue. This means they can really pull stuff like this off without macro level worry. They are less beholden to the individual users of those software packages.

More importantly, I would ask less about what that move means for FOSS and more about what new developments like the Fabric Engine mean for the entire field of CG and how that can impact options like Blender which cant take advantage of such developments.
Fabric engine, btw, is the means of creating platform/software agnostic tools which can be used in any software package with fabric compatibility. This means someone from maya can switch to modo or C4D and still use the same tools they developed within the fabric framework…as such productions can be less reliant/tied to one particular software package or another. Their tools can move with them.

https://vimeo.com/132732105

Story of my life for the last two weeks - OK, maybe with a big dose of sun bathing and swimming. Not going to do it here though :wink:

Psy…Happy holidays!!..:slight_smile:

Obviously, the goal of Autodesk is to make money, not bring CG to the masses. Unless you go into discriminatory pricing, you will want to charge the price that yields the largest return, not the price that yields the most customers. Inevitably, that means that for some customers the price is at the very edge of what they can still afford.

Ironically, the bigger studios are likely to get discounts to the point that they don’t even pay that much. If I was a professional CG artist that could afford Autodesk licenses, I’d have a vested economic interest in having all the low-end would-be professionals priced out of the market. I’m sure there’s lots of “indies” that can afford 150$/month, too. It’s certainly more affordable than an upfront cost of 3500$+.

The great benefit of not supporting Linux is not having to support Linux users.

heh, good one.

That does bring up an interesting question, how much longer do you think that Autodesk will support a program like 3D-Max when they already have another program that is fully supported on all platforms (Maya)? You don’t see major studios using 3D-Max, they have mostly converted over to Linux and Maya (especially for the back end rendering systems). Except the game shops, which are still Windows centric.

As long as it is profitable and opportunistic to do so. Max is kinda shitty at animation and Maya is kinda shitty at modeling and that hasn’t changed in the many years since both applications have been owned by Autodesk. The applications have a synergy that way, I see no reason for that to change. A good amount of customers are probably using both.

You don’t see major studios using 3D-Max, they have mostly converted over to Linux and Maya (especially for the back end rendering systems).

There’s only a handful of “major” studios and they probably don’t account for a huge chunk of sales. The reason that they historically use Linux over Windows is that they have custom pipelines dating all the way back to the IRIX days. Anyone else has little reason to favor Linux on the workstation.

Except the game shops, which are still Windows centric.

It’s a hard requirement, the SDKs for the consoles all run on Windows.

But isn’t Max kinda shitty at modelling too? :wink:

Lol, well, you keep telling yourself that :slight_smile: