Autodesk Research Team needs user information from Blender users

Probably https://www.tangocard.com/, seems like a reasonable google search result :slight_smile:

Going back to the topic however, surveys are just part of researching the market, the worst thing that could happen is that autodesk improves their products in some way, even if it’s just some nice surface polish to make it more appealing :wink: They posted the same message on the forum as well.

Googled it. I’m stoked to see Autodesk enter the social dancing market. :joy:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl: hilarious

I thought it was Kajit that design the UI :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Nope. Dwemer artificers for sure.

2 Likes

Basically they’re proposing a discount for disgruntled users…

Hey that was my avatar before the one I’m using now. :smiley_cat::smiley_cat::smiley_cat:
Nothing is like those old H&B 70 cartoons :smiley::smiley::smiley:

So, did the interview today with Veronica from Autodesk. A coworker of hers was listening in and our chat was recorded. It was all very pleasant and lasted about one hour. We were scheduled for 90 minutes but I’m guessing that I don’t have as much to talk about as people who work in the industry, being only a hobbyist and having only picked up Blender and 3D art in earnest a few months ago. I enjoyed the conversation a lot, and I got to talk about one of my favorite things. :slight_smile:

Of special interest to the interviewer was the role that the “Blender Community” played in my life. I’m not much of a social critter, but I told her that the people here have been really kind to me and that the greatest thing that impresses me about this site is that people are intellectually curious. I rarely see posts along the lines of… “do this for me” or “solve this problem for me”. It’s usually “help me to solve this problem”, or “give me a general direction about how to do this.”

I don’t think that there are any negatives about Blender Artists dot org, beyond the fact that people are always people and some people are jerks sometimes or have had a bad day or whatever. Nothing about the community seems to encourage bad behavior. I’m quite happy to chip in a few bucks a month to keep the servers running and to answer a question if I see an easy one.

She was also very interested in the UI change. I told her that I was vastly happier with 2.8 than I was with the month or so I tried 2.79. Blender 2.8 “reads” like the Adobe software I’m used to: from left to right and top to bottom and left click selects and so on. I love the dark UI and I love the fact that I can trick it out with add-ons and different workspaces and such.

She asked me if I knew of any high-profile developers for Blender and I mentioned Chip Walters and Machine3 (don’t know his/her real name) and also my favorite instructor at Udemy, Alex Cordebard.

I told her that $190 a month for Autodesk software was too expensive for me at this time, a non-industry person. The Autodesk educational license is extremely generous, but in the end I didn’t want to get really really used to one software package only to get it yanked out from under me because I might not end up making a great salary or because my family or girlfriend might get sick and need expensive hospitalization or whatever. Hell, even the entire Adobe suite is only $55 a month and I make 40K a year working with it, so it’s well worth what I pay for it.

I received the $75 gift card via email like an hour after the interview ended, as promised. It’s only good for a few dozen retailers, but one of those retailers is Amazon, and there’s always crud I want from Amazon.

All in all, it seems like Autodesk is trying to answer a few questions, two of the main ones are:

1. What makes the Blender Community so strong?
  2. What makes the new UI so nice to work with?

They probably go in-depth about other things with people who are better and more experienced at this than I am, but I figured I’d write about my experience here.

Have a great weekend! :slight_smile:

20 Likes

To be honest before i made the switch to blender i did try the Maya LT trial to see if it could be a good replacement for 3ds max and after a lot of swearing because of the instability and so many feature not working correctly like target welding vertices that i went to blender and so far i am happy even if it is far from perfect it is at least manageable and the modeling experience is simply silky smooth with my setup, a wacom and a 3d mouse + a combination of custom menu made with pie menu editor.

If Autodesk would really want to neutralize blender they would just have to release a more modern subscription pricing for indie at something similar to Houdini pricing for indie around 299$ a year if i remember correctly.

Autodesk should also understand the fact that the current generation is not really in love with corporate thugs so they should try a more friendly approach but i doubt they can become what they are not.

3 Likes

I hear you polynut. I don’t mind paying for the things that I use to enjoy my time off or to do my work, but, to use an analogy, the wheel has already been invented. There are revisions and improvements and such, but 3D software is more mass-market than it used to be. If what you bring to the table as a coder or a designer or someone who devotes their life to the advancement of 3D software must be behind walls, maybe don’t make the walls 80 feet high.

Any PC worth anything at all in 1990 was priced at $2400, minimum. But there are computers on every desk now and we’ve all bought into the future that they’ve helped us to create. Now, you can get a decent PC for $800 and a real stunner for $1750. I work with software called GMC, (from a company called Quadient, not the car company). They license a program called Inspire Designer. Seats of Inspire run about $10,000, from what I’ve been told. We’re told to close the program whenever we aren’t using it because they monitor our usage and there have been times when we’ve hit a wall and too many people are using it at once. If I had the time, and a team, and could build software at the level that Quadient does and I took aim at both InDesign and Inspire, I might become very rich indeed.

A single 3DS Max license used to run $3K and was worth it, partly because people who had the education and the training and the creativity were rarer and were probably worth their weight in human souls. Things move forward. Things change. The next big thing comes out and costs a lot, then it costs less as people refine and expand and compete and share. Then the process starts all over again.

By and large, the people who work at Autodesk aren’t thugs. They’re just asking themselves where they fit, in the ongoing evolution that we’re all a part of. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any corporations enforcing a subscription model that almost nobody want(except maybe the insanely rich) is a thug in my book, that’s why i called them thugs.

Thing were so much better when 3ds max was under Discreet Logic in Montreal, that was the good old days when max was revolutionizing the industry with new features. When they move to autodesk that’s where everything start to crumble apart.

At a 300$ indie yearly subscription fee similar to Houdini i would jump back with them since even as bug as it is it’s still a superior app in many area of the pipeline, but now that i have jump into Blender i must admit that Blender modeling is superior with the right combination of pie menu and hotkeys.

For the rest i agree with you.

2 Likes

release Softimage XSI under an open source license.

8 Likes

They should try looking at how Houdini does its pricing and structure, mind you for AD this is not their priority. If it were they would have dumped Max and Maya and pushed ahead with Softimage XSI which was by far the better package.

They will keep hoovering up ridiculous amounts of money until major studios switch.

1 Like

Who here really thinks that autodesk will fail miserably like they did this year and last year with max and maya releases ?

• Yes, they will act like lazy douches again
  • No, they will shake their asses a bit

0 voters

I really hope that they will do miserable releases like the ones from this year, it’s only but good for blender progress.

1 Like

Add the third option, something like “Yes, but because even with their best intentions they have no clue what people want”

2 Likes

They have billions, if they want to know what people want they’ll spend some millions to find out

That’s what they’re doing by asking this questions, doesn’t they?

2 Likes

Indeed, scary

It COULD happen: Micro$oft acquired GitHub for $7.5bln (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-04/microsoft-agrees-to-buy-coding-site-github-for-7-5-billion), IBM bought RedHat Linux for $33bln (https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/28/ibm-to-acquire-red-hat-in-deal-valued-at-34-billion.html). I surely hope it WON’T happen, though.

1 Like

Was GitHub a non-profit organization and the product itself with an open source?
So I really doubt that it would happen to Blender