Autodesk visits Blenderhead. Any Advice?

It probably means that you can make copies for your own use.

I don’t make copies of the proprietary software I own because
I figure I can download them anytime, but I probably should.

anyway, the motionbuilder issue got resolved due to a massive uproar,
and now I can go get a new activation code on the autodesk site
for an old copy of motionbuilder standard anytime, probably as many
times as I want. It’s basically abandonware anyway.

Don’t trust them, not at all. It’s probably good the OP has taken
as many steps as he has.

Yes, this is the usual practice. In Spain, the BSA takes public lists of professionals related to a particular software, and send intimidating letters to those that no appear in their clients lists. They pay a visit to some of them, probably the most prominent ones. Many offices just buy one or two seats just to appear in clients lists when in fact they are using more copies.
Yep, I confirm that. Tho is sth I only heard. (but heard it several times)

I was (am) a Max user as well. That’s a huge company. As in every of those, there are bad politics, and bad decissions.But also good things.

BTW, in our country’s law, that’s even funny. Somebody coming to your place accusing you of sth with no proofs. I think you can simply kindly show him the way to the door. And much probably demand him for false accusations. And even more, bring it to the public.(if you can prove it. Nice press would it be…)
Making those accusation without proofs … Saying I have you on a list is no proof at all in court.
Anyway, getting into your business place, without permission, not a recognized organization(to have all that ability to skip several rights, like getting into your property ) with actual rights to get into in that very country without having made certain procedures before, is in many countries, reason to show him the door and take legal actions.

Anyway I don’t think this is a case of Autodesk going after Blender users. They have more important things to do.
yep… I may agree (but who knows, provided the case which is)

Hi, I am saikat from Bangalore. I am heading a small animation team. We are using blender too as our key 3d software.
Recently we have gone through the same king of experience like you. But I handled it in a different way.
They send their representative to our office and told that they have proof that we are using the autodesk products. I told them only one thing that as per IPC they cant come to premises without a court notice . And based on court notice with them one police subinspector with the Male and female constables can come to the premises. After listening all this they kept quit and never disturbed us.
Autodesk is a dead company ,their softwares are day by day become worse and after the release of blender 2.8 they are scared to lose their business. May be for multi million dollar movie needs autodesk product but for small and medium budget project I personally feel that blender is way better solution than audesk’s maya and 3ds max.
So my advise is not to worry about the autodesk . Do your work peacefully. We all will help blender to get more and more users and we all will grow together.
Any help please contact me @
[email protected]

3 Likes

the wounded lion is scared, and now he tries to do damage as long as he can.

hey saikat, i am in india too! :slight_smile: i have downloaded 2.8 and may try learning some of it too! :slight_smile: it’s awesome that you’re using FOSS. I think I will email you, check your mail :slight_smile:

It needs to be stated what Microsoft has done with Linux and open source. Remember one of their recent quotes was “we love open source.”
“Competitors” to Blender might try a similar manouver.

There was an article about it and I don’t recall everything, but the gist of it is:
Microsoft bought a seat in the highest decision-making authority group. That cost them the yearly salary of 1 executive and in return they had a say in the direction linux would head.

I don’t really have anything worthwhile to say about this, but since it’s a blatant loophole I thought I’d mention it.

*Competitors - I use that word in quotes as I don’t see Blender as competing with the market standards. It’s just there, minding its own business, being cool n’ stuff.