automate open gl render

hi, anyone knows how to automate the open gl render? i know how to render animation from one camera with shift-click on the “render this window” button. is it possible to have this triggered via python? i need to quickly render thousands of frames by dozens of cameras, only i cant sit by and switch camera and path every time… i already built a script that changes cameras, paths and triggeres “cpu”-render, so how to do it with the open gl render?
i so much hope it is possible :eek:!
thanks a lot!

thomas

I don’t think there’s Python access for OpenGL renderer yet. As an alternative you could use the current renderer with extremely bare minimum settings. You can access standard renderer by using Render module (http://www.blender.org/documentation/244PythonDoc/Render-module.html).

Thanks for your answer, BeBraw! I looked at the link, but could not find options to drastically reduce render quality/time. I have too many vertices and faces to render, so still OpenGL ist faster. Anyway, I helped myself with an external macro recorder which hits the button for me. It is an ugly hack, but it works… Python access would certainly have proved more reliable, maybe it´s going to be implemented some time…

Don’t know how it works in 2.44, but in old, early 2.3x blender, I could easily render the complete animation previews with OpenGL renderer. I had the python controler linked to scene, onFrameChange, and had over 20 cameras in scene, all controled with python.

I remember I was pissed as f*** because blender’s videoplayer was always playing anim too fast.

It does seem that you can use GameEngine for quite a few things … using the Rasterizer module’s MakeScreenShot() function to cut a new frame-file.

What I am looking at right now is probably the same thing you are: how to efficiently use OpenGL (hardware) rendering instead of the internal one. And as you can imagine, I’m ravenously poring through … “what passes for ‘documentation’ in the open source world” … (ahem) … to see what the possibilities are.

It seems to me (doin’ a little extemporaneous thinking here … watch out …) that at this point in time you can either (a) hack away with GameBlender; (b) possibly hook into just the renderizer; or © approach the problem from the perspective of being, or becoming, an external renderer. In other words, maybe Blender should be demoted to the status of “a great way to build models but a too-slow way to render” such that it is now used to feed some kind of Python/OpenGL-based rendering tool.

In an ideal world, I guess, we would be able to have both. Sometimes you need the CPU-based methods. It’s very nice to have a workflow within a single tool. But to have all that computational power sitting there in the specialized hardware of your graphics card, and to not be able to use it at all, is just criminal. The renderer should be using the GPU for all it’s worth, which is a lot, and then adding the rest with the CPU. And it really ought to have been doing that years ago…

About fastest render settings:
turn off OSA.
Xparts: 1
Yparts: 1
no Shadow, EnvMap, Pano, Ray, or Radio

that should give you a pretty fast render.

That’s not the point… :no:

When you’re using hardware rendering, you’re going for multiple completed frames per second.