AviSynth import?

I’ve tried opening up an AviSynth file in an Image node in the node editor. The file browser let’s you pick an AviSynth “.avs” file, but nothing pops up in the node. Is it possible to open an AviSynth file with Blender 2.55?

More info here: http://blendervse.wordpress.com/category/avisynth/
Yellow is a big fan and the leading authority in avisynth + blender issues.

Blendercomp, please, that is not true. I dabble.

@terrachild, the “.avs” import is MS Windows specific, which includes Linux + Wine as long as you run a Windows binary of Blender with Wine.

“.avs” import is also specific to FFMPEG being built with avisynth support enabled in the config or at least it used to be. Just tested a build from Cog on Graphicall.org and avisynth is enabled in that, they have been for a long while.

You also need AVISynth installed, it’s not bundled with blender. If AVS is installed and working correctly with Blender, you should see a thumb nail preview of the video referenced in the .avs file’s within Blenders file manager with thumbnails activated. There maybe a delay in that as avisynth has to process the files.

Your .avs scripts must reference a source, they don’t sort of act as filters directly with other sources in Blender. Not suggesting that’s what you’re doing, just another consideration.

Thanks, I have Avisynth installed and I use AvsP as my editor and previewer. It’s a great GUI, but I don’t think it’s updated anymore.

I use AVSP too, although using it as I do on Linux + Wine I can’t get a preview :frowning:

I like it’s ability to create and use templates to generate scripts. Processed 250 individual HDSLR .mov files that way just recently using Vdub as the batch loader / runner, generating uncompressed avi’s, proxy avi’s and proxy image sequences for each file.

I downloaded the build by cog, and you are right, Blender will open AviSynth files. I opened one in an Image node in the node editor.

I then did a couple of simple things in AvsP like ConvertToRGB and Greyscale, the image was grayed out in the AvsP preview window, and looked fine when launched into the external editor (VirtualDub), but when I opened the .avs file in the Blender node editor it was grayed out properly, but it was upside down. Now how is that possible?

I tracked it down to the ConvertToRGB filter. Both 24 and 32.
When Blender opens the file it is flipped both vertically and horizontally.
There is something wrong with the Blender import.

The AviSynth file opens up fine in AvsP, VirtualDub, and Adobe Premiere with the AviSynth pluggin.

Wuzup?

Blender’s image buffer is upside down compared to some other apps I think, same hassle with openexr/multilayer exr having to use mirror in Nuke.

Just add flipvertical() as last operation, to your avs scripts. :slight_smile:

Going to put some AVSP templates on the blog soon for working with DV, HDV and h264, generating proxies etc using 3D LUT method , eeks extra out over and above ConvertToRGB and option to stay in video space and just transcode to another codec.