Avon AM6 and AM7 tyres

hi,
i’m working on a set of vintage tyres, Avon AM6 Speedmaster MKII and Avon AM7 Safety Mileage MKII.
i can’t find any decent pictures of the side walls of these tyres, so i have no idea what (other than Avon) i should put on the walls.
does any1 happen to have some clear pictures of the sides of the AM6 and AM7?
i would sure like to finish them soon…

UPDATE: it’s mainly the sides of the AM6 Speedmaster i need… i could find a useable pic for the AM7 Safety Mileage… :wink:

her’s how far i am atm…
AM6 Speedmaster MKII

AM7 Safety Mileage MKII

thanx

1 Like

@francozero Not sure if this is what you are looking for but here is a quick search result image

hi, thanks for the reply…
yes this pic helps, but it doesn’t show all texting on the tyre… i’m sure there’s more, like safety warnings, DOT, tyre size, etc…

i’ll start with the info i got and maybe just fantasize the rest. i don’t think it’s that important, or that any1 is actually going to read the tyre markings…
off to blender again… :wink:

ok… thanks to flyingbanana and after realizing his pic was huge enough to see all detail, i think i’m on the right path…
starts looking good

2 Likes

Looking good. Glad to see you were able to get more done with it.

okay… so far so good, almost finished…
i still have 1 problem tho… there’s a knurled band on each side of the tyre. how would i do this best?.. modeling or texture with normals?..
if i model this, the file will get too big to be useable in a project… i couldn’t find any useable texture for it either and making it in photoshop would take forever imo…
is there another alternative to get this effect in blender?

thanx

this is what i have now… all comments are welcon, good or bad… :wink:

I’d say that depending on how close you are going to render or animate it that would be the deciding factor of texture vs geometry. But seeing as you are going for high detail I’m not sure the best method to get the physical geometry without increasing the vert count. Even adaptive subdivision/micro displacement would require the geometry to be there to use still. So depends all on how close you want to render it out and at what angle it will be seen. Maybe try it with texture then again with geometry and see for yourself if you would be happy with just a texture to fake the geometry.

i haven’t tried modeling yet, as i’m sure it would make the file too big…
i tried texturing and i must say i like the result. even at close-up it looks good…
i might try to fiddle some more with the normal settings, but this is where i’m now:

1 Like

Looks like then texturing is the way to go. It is looking good. Only thing that is slightly off is the sharp edges to the lettering, maybe a slight bevel to the edges to round them off a bit but other than that I don’t see anything else that looks off.