Awesome 3D sculpting Tool like ZBrush (3d Coat) For Linux

I found this by mistake, it is linux 64bit and 32bit beta trial download, I played with it a bit and export to blender, it seems to work very well.

The trial is limited to(according to there website):

-all export functions are disabled (but the export worked for me ?)
-limitation on quantity of layers per object, maximum 7 layers allowed
-maximum texture size is 2048x2048

Download from this website:

and the main website of 3D Coat:

http://www.3d-coat.com/index.html

Finally a Zbrush type sculpting tool for linux :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link! Haven’t tried 3D-Coat yet, because my computer is to old for it… oh well. But it’s nice to see somebody supporting linux!! Looking forward to its release (hopefully I’ll have a new computer by then :slight_smile: )

I’ve played with it a bit in the past, and whilst it’s good it just doesn’t feel as polished as zbrush. Definite points for supporting linux though.

The advantage in using 3dcoat is that you can focus on shapes,sculpting doesn’t have technical implications any more.
The disadvantage is that is more difficult to do sculptures,brushes don’t give(yet) perfect control in what are you doing(and you don’t have a multires rapresentation of the object,so if you do a mistake is difficult to improve the shape after)

Yeah, I agree that it is not as polished as ZBrush, but I was happy they are porting to Linux and the cost of 3DCoat is $285 vs Zbrush($595). I have no Windows, so this is a plus for me and the company.

I’ve been checking the features page out. Using spheres for sculpting? :no: No Go. Not possible to make whole meshes with it. In ZBrush you have a humanoid base mesh in one minute, a more advanced for a dragon or something like that in max 5 minutes. This is what I call focus on shapes. I don’t say 3dcoat is bad. I’m sure it’s good. Many people are checking it out. But ZSpheres in ZBrush are definitely an incredible tool!

Actually, I’d say it’s in many ways more amazing than ZBrush and the workflow isn’t bad at all. I gave it a try once again and this time I am amazed, the performance on linux seems to be much better than on win for me.
3 hours of work(from sphere):
http://plant.ffa.vutbr.cz/%7Enovak/dwnflz/Screenshot-6.png
and the automatic retopology tool:
http://plant.ffa.vutbr.cz/%7Enovak/dwnflz/Screenshot-1.png

Only problem (for me anyways) with 3dCoat is that the voxel sculpting is painfully slow without Cuda. Low res sculpting works okay, but if you want to add detail, it drags…

It’s completely possible,I always use a sphere when I start sculpting(but you can do a curve wire similar to zsphere if you want).
It’s simply another way to work,it’s not so good for now to do sharp high frequency details,but for sketching ideas is awesome(it’s also great for improving personal skill)

The program runs off of the GPU not the CPU / so to speak, so if you have a gaming PC the performance is good. If not, then you may want to get a better vid card. I love 3d Coat. The developer Andrew Shpagin is one of the best. I had a problem with a bug one day, and he fixed it in less than 24 hours.

He also takes feature requests and actually puts them in if he likes them.

Also, he’s continually upgrading it. He’s adding NURBS supported right now. Should be in there within a month or two.

But with a spere as the base mesh don’t you waste tons of unneccesary polygons + you get stretched quads which leads to an even higher polycount needed?

I use ZBrush, not 3dCoat, but 3dCoat does have very good retopology tools. There is also voxel sculpting which as I understand it does not have the problem with stretching any polygons.

Richard

No, not when sculpting with voxels. Voxels are not dependent on polygons nor vertex order when sculpting, so you are free to shape them and change their volume all you like - unlike other sculpting solutions, which depend completely on mesh topology and polygon density. 3dcoat’s main strength I would say is in being able to start things and take them to a coherent, recognizable shape. Because there is no dependency on polygons, you are also free to merge voxel meshes together from multiple sources, or take parts away at will, including creating holes, etc.

Currently detail sculpting is rather weak in 3dcoat, but I expect this will improve soon enough. When I need high resolution details I just send a polygon mesh from my voxel sculpts over to zbrush and finish it there. 3dcoat is very well equipped with good retopology tools that complement the voxel sculpting, making it very compatible with other 3d apps.

Here’s a quick vid from an early alpha build I like to show that illustrates how you can merge voxel objects together seamlessly:

Merging Voxel Objects

It’s a pretty simple task for voxels, but the possibilities are pretty wide open for use.

My rig plays games extremely well. The program is GPU bound to a point, but I’m pretty sure the Voxel calculation is CPU based unless you enable Cuda. After the volumes are calculated, real polygon geometry is created and that is rendered by the GPU. As such, there is no Cuda support for ATI cards, which is what I have.

Pildanovok: That is a good example of what voxel sculpting can do but it’s very apparent there’s either no or imperfect sharpness or form detection to form good topology to exactly match every little detail and bump of what you’ve sculpted with the auto-retopo as a few of the sharper details like the toe-nails, the sharp crease between the lips, some of the sharp detailing on the ear, and some other detail is lost or reduced a bit.

It doesn’t seem like it can automatically give you good topology following typical topology rules, but it’s probable this will be improved a bit as time goes on.

Automatic good topology I think is really difficult,maybe impossible(without that the user gives direction vectors)
But here I think Blender has completely lost a chance,it could have been the first program to have a good remeshing scheme,but now there is 3dcoat(and 3dsmax 2010 which have a quad remeshing modifier)
I have tried to point out some remeshing scheme more than 2 years ago,it’s true that there isn’t yet a perfect solution but this field I think in the future could be really important.
Btw,I have and idea,what about using particles combing to give the right direction for the topology?
I think maybe it could work.

I think the return on the effort for doing a good auto mesh generation solution will not be worth it - at least not right now while there are bigger issues to deal with. The way it works in 3dcoat right now is fine if you are just doing still renders or even just sculpting that mesh and baking it down to something else later on. Topology is less important here, so long as you get good polygon distribution overall.

The manual tools can also be used to alter that mesh as well. So if you need a bit more geometry around key points, just delete the polygons there and rebuild them by hand, making sure to add a few extra. Same with controlling edge flow. In key areas like faces it may be more beneficial to retopo them by hand, while automating the rest. This is still a huge time saver that allows you to compromise between control and speed.

You don’t even have to worry about a bit of clipping here and there with lower rez areas either really. Just subdivide the mesh once or twice. It will still conform to the high rez voxel sculpt. This is what I do anyway when I start something from scratch in 3dcoat and intend to finish the high rez in zbrush anyway. I always subdivide my retopologized mesh, so that it absorbs more of the detail from the voxel sculpt, then send it to zb. So far I just haven’t had a need to improve on what the current auto mesh generation can do. It gives me good results I can work with outside of 3dcoat at a click of a button. That’s what it was designed for.