Awesome new LightWave feature: Chronosculpt

Thought I’d post this for anyone interested. Looks like a very cool functionality to have.

EDIT: My mistake, it would appear to be a standalone application. Even cooler. If we get Alembic support this could easily be used alongside Blender.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/chronosculpt/

It is what jakha wanted to do in 2.5X. Mixing physics in NLA with an unified cache. He did not succeed.
We have a mesh cache modifier that supports .mdd. So it should be possible to use it with Blender even without Alembic.
We have multires modifier with a cache that can allow us to sculpt on 10 millions poly models. But it cannot store frames.
Sculpting on shapekeys like in 2.4 anisculpt is only available for basemesh.

Is it possible to import/export particle point data out of blender using MDD or PC2?

wow this looks super nice!

But with Blender’s sculpt tools and shape keys you can accomplish the same thing.

I’m an old Lightwave user and used to LOVE Lightwave back in the day… but honestly, a color picker is like a big feature in 11.6… that’s crazy! And the one cool thing they show is this Chronosculpt but you have to buy it separately. :frowning: I just don’t see why anyone would buy this program. Maybe I’m still jaded by the Core thing that I paid good money for and never got. I even got screwed out of the manuals that I paid $100 for.

I was thinking the same thing as I watched the video. How is this different?

Steve S

The Lightwave team seems pretty confident about their new color picker (and is there currently any effort to combine everything into one unified app.)? :wink:

Also, I do agree that something like this could theoretically be done with Blender multires sculpting combined with shapekeys, but some on CGTalk are already thinking that some of the big studios could purchase this.

Also, I noticed that they are also advertising their new viewport shader as being something from Nvidia, if using the Nvidia cgFX shaders mean that the capability requires an Nvidia card, then Newtek just became the only company in existence to ‘vendor lock’ such a bread and butter feature as viewport shading.

And the Lightwave 11.6 CPU requirements, if this doesn’t give reason to the Blender foundation that it’s safe to raise the minimum PC requirements than I don’t know what will.

You can’t keyframe or store multires details in a shape key. It’s also a big deal to be able to alter cached data on the fly. I know a lot of people here are used to a Blender workflow, but anyone who uses MDD or Alembic in their pipeline knows what a pain it is to have to completely re-sim and build a new cache for things like physics jitter or soft body/cloth intersections. Also, being able to change things like scale with a sculpt tool in a single frame of an animation and have it automatically changed throught the whole animation is a HUGE timesaver, especially in a quick turnaround after/during/before dailies. For VFX the ability to paint new attributes into a prebaked physics sim cache (like the bridge in that trailer) is worth the price alone.

Really interesting,it makes me think what multires could have been.

The basic sculpting features of ChronoSculpt? Yeah, Blender has that in spades (though with notable issues in the multires featureset).

Sculpting the results of physics calculations with fade in / fade out of the edited transformations? Selective pinning of fragments from a shatter simulation? Key-framed editing the point cache of softbody (i.e. cloth) simulations with the sculpt tool? Saving all levels of a multires sculpted morph target? No, Blender doesn’t have these and I don’t think anyone’s working on them either.

You can use an add-on to export meshes in pc2.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Export_PC2_Pointcache

You can use mesh cache modifier to import .pc2. But it just as a deformer of a mesh.

Particles amount is not constant like vertices count.
Particles can be alive before other ones’ birth.And some can be alive after other ones’ death.

Sculpting the results of physics calculations with fade in / fade out of the edited transformations?

You can export results of physics calculations as .mdd or .pc2 and then use mesh cache modifier to fade in / fade out of the edited transformations.

Selective pinning of fragments from a shatter simulation?

There are keyframable options (enable deactivation, animated) to pin fragments.
Rigid bodies are influenced by force fields and rigid body constraints that can achieve same goal.
Anyways, you can bake to keyframes and reajust it after baking.

Key-framed editing the point cache of softbody (i.e. cloth) simulations with the sculpt tool?

You can edit cache steps with brushes of particle mode if sofbody cache is baked in memory.
To use it, you have to know what is a cache step, how particles brushes are working and how to fade display of cache steps.
But devs don’t understand nothing to what jakha did.
It needs optimization.
I have just realized that particle mode is no more available for objects that don’t have hairs or emitted particles.
But the feature is still there for hairy objects. It should have been renamed cache edit mode from the beginning.
It would have received more love from the community.

As a task-specific program, it might not be different but will most likely be easier to use, faster and more powerful. For example, ZBrush excels in Sculpting and is the industry and community favourite, despite most 3D packages having the ability to sculpt.

So, has anyone tinkered with shapekeys to see if they can get similar results to this yet? When watching the video, my thoughts went to shapekeys as well - but I’m not on the coding or programming end of things. Would really love to hear more about this and the options that Blender users might have to emulate the same results as chronosculpt and lbrush.

Yes. This is something I’ve been working with a lot lately! Creating/sculpting/editing shapekeys on already animated characters while they are in a posed state (called pose space deformation) is a very little known or understood feature of Blender. But it’s one of the coolest features by far. I’d go as far as saying it’s one of those features that could really sky rocket Benders fame if more people used it. Especially since it’s so dead simple to use.

Basically you animate your character like normal, turn on the “Use modifier while in edit mode” button in the armature modifier. Find a spot in the animation that you think needs some extra squash and stretch or some extreme facial expression and create a shape key. Then, go into edit mode and reshape your mesh using whatever tools you like. You can even use sculpt mode (though it only work on the base level mesh). Then you create 3 keyframe to fade in and then out the shape key. Then you just go to another frame that you want to modify the mesh and repeat. This is essentially all that’s happening in Chronosculpt. However, there’s an advantage to doing it inside Blender: you can still edit your animation long after you’ve sculpted the poses. You can even sculpt the poses during the animation stage though I wouldn’t recommend it.

What this also means is that rigging a character to be able to make such extreme poses is not really as important because you can just go in afterward and sculpt it in. You can also use it to fix oddities in the rigging like pinching in strange places that only show up in a few places but look really bad and are hard to fix with weight painting.

It’s really to bad this feature doesn’t get me praise.

All right! I’m so glad to hear that this is indeed something that can be done in Blender. I agree with you, it seems like an extremely powerful aspect of animating but I’ve never even heard mention of it before today - so thank you for giving me a name to work with “pose space deformation”. And, doing a quick Google search, it appears this is an old feature for Blender. At least nothing new .

This workflow makes sense and I will have to give it a try once I get in to animation. I’m still a ways off from it, but that is definitely what my eventual goal is and I definitely have plans for this sort of thing. In the meantime, someone really should make a tutorial on the topic. I think it could probably improve a lot of people’s Blender animations.

There are numerous threads over at NewTek about combining the two LW apps into one, so I’ll leave that one alone. There was a discussion about implementing LW modeling features into Chronosculpt (CS) or Chronosculpt features into LW, and one of the CS developers chimed in on the Hydra engine (used in CS) eventually being put into LW, but his posts were removed. NewTek may or may not be working on something big for LW 12, but no one knows at this point. I’m a longtime LW user and it still finds it’s way into my work, but Blender is lightyears ahead for me… well, maybe miles ahead. Of course, I don’t do intense animations or movie-type effects so that’s understandable.

I also was a big lightwave user, and trueSpace to be honest…I really loved both packages for different reasons…but I agree lightwave is a silly app now a days…it is probably the next 3d app to fall…it is just my opinion…they seem to do less and less in house developing…or base their developments off of currently created plugins…sad. such a good app(was)…such crappy buisness planning…

I saw the video of Chrono Sculpt.
I was wondering what brush you can
use for keyframe.
I think only the grab or tweak,
but I thought if it was possible to use
other brushes such as pinch or crease.
It would be very nice and I was already
spoken in a thread, if it were possible
use the sculpt mode in blender to create
shapekeys of a mesh with a MultiRes
and even an armature but it must
be a very complicated thing to accomplish
but I think for a face animation it
will be able to create all those
imperfection in an animation of a
face that makes it natural and believable.

I could be mistaken, but I think you can use all of the sculpt brushes to make a keyframe. I think people use grab brush the most but I am nearly positive I’ve seen people use the draw add/subtract brush to make shape keys as well.

I’m not sure about the multires modifier being used in shapekeys.

You are right that this stuff could be incredibly helpful in natural, organic animation in Blender.