Awesome Volumetric Cloud Test

I ran across this on the net.

This is what a lot of people have been waiting for.

That was part of the Suzanne Awards presentation at BConf.

Martin

Thanks theeth. I’m surprised I haven’t seen this before.

My cloud is the most… cloudier :stuck_out_tongue:
Awesome! I only saw the live stream and I didn’t note that it were volumetric clouds :o

AfterBurn in Blender, I wonder when us regular folks can get a try at it?

This is really cool! :yes:

i have to say that whilst I love the volumetric clouds, that has to be one of the worst title sequences I have ever seen. sorry :frowning:

this is a quote from the author’s website maybe it might serve to illuminate ur perspective just a bit

This year I had planned to do something very simple, by myself because I had very little time to prepare, and there was a record number of submitted videos. Just for fun I had a look at Broken’s new volumetric stuff in the simphysics branch. And suddenly got Daniel (zanqdo) offering me help. Which was great!
And as expected one thing lead to another. The big downside to using an unfinished branch of blender was that it wasn’t optimised yet, and we found a nr of serious bugs. So, we had broken fix the bugs… Which is amazing! Having a coder fix your bugs, just because you’re helping test his new features. And remember “very little time, very last minute”. So once we had something that worked, we had to render.
The light cache didn’t work yet… so it was a bit slow… Well depending on your system. On my old laptop with 1 core… a frame took 30 minutes! On the Blender Institute 8 core monster it took less than a minute! Because of the rendertimes we were unable to do a test render of the entire thing, so the timing/camera work is a bit off.
A bunch of people (check the credits below) from the community stepped up and offered rendering help. Without them it would have been impossible to complete the project! Once again the Blender Community comes through! We ended up having people render in Canada, Netherlands, Finland, Costa Rica, Saudi Arabia… and more…
When I told the people at the conference about our render woes, I got offers of help for future projects as well. People with multi core monster computers & renderfarms. You guys are all way too nice!
Thank you everyone for helping, offering help, and putting up with us!
Dolf

Hey guys, yeah sorry I didn’t post it here myself, but that kind of slipped my mind in the chaos of the bconf :wink:

dan_hin: I agree… it’s not great, but it was a good test case of the technology, and should be seen as such. It worked ok for what we wanted to achieve as well.

BTW, as a footnote… I love working with the people from the Blender community, they come through every time. So expect a bigger project from me to come along, where everyone can help… probably in 2009 :wink:

The clouds look amazing but I wish people would avoid the default and boring fonts… They’re overused

That’s a great story of the community coming together to help get the job done! I’m so happy to be a part of this community!

Macouno, I saw on the Festival site that zanqdo is credited for the cloud creation. Do you know how he went about generating them? Thanks!

Hi, I am new .
that nice clouds.
Tutorial?

Maybe next time I feel like criticising something I should check it out more thoroughly first… Sorry dude.

If you want to know how they’re done, have a look at the blend file on the page, and get a copy of the sim-physics blender builds (there’s a windows one on the page as well).

The above link leads to a ZIP file that contains no valid Windows EXE. So there is still no way for us people on Windows to make use of this or even view the Animation_Festival_clouds.BLEND file.

Try this build:

Loads up and seems to render wonderfully…

Eric “GuitarEC”

Bah yeah I’ve been having some issues with creating correct zip files in vista… this one was done in 7zip, and the data is in there… and you can get it out with 7zip, but I think the folder structure is messed up somehow.

Thanks for the link guitarec!

It works!