Axonometric projection (similar to isometric)

I’ve been unable to setup a 1/1 45° axonometric/isometric camera in Blender.
It actually doesn’t seem possible, but here it goes:
You can do the typical isometric projection easily by setting the camera to view on the center point using 30°y and 45°x (produces a 1/2 (y/x) magnitude line). To get the axonometric ‘military’ projection, the magnitude needs to be 1/1 (y/x), which I cannot seem to get in Blender.

The actual projection of my engine seems to be axonometric, but has the same projection as Ultima Online which, as Wikipedia suggests, uses ‘cavalier’ projection - but I have not found that it does use cavalier. Actually, I don’t have a darn clue what Ultima Online uses.

Anyhow, here is the article I found that (very briefly) talks about the ‘military’ axonometric projection:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1269.asp

This is the exact image showing the axonometric projection:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/1269/axometr9.gif

I do know for a fact that the Ultima Online artists used 3DSMax for modeling, though I don’t have a clue on how it was exported or how the camera was setup.

Does anyone know how to find the angles for the camera to achieve such a rendering?

EDIT: This image, using Axonometric projection (notice that all vertical lines are completely straight, and all of the roof lines are 1/1 in magnitude), shows exactly what objects look like in Ultima and in my engine.

The projection you described seems to distort the image quite heavily. One suggestion would be to render the image with 100 / 70,7 aspect ratio (found in the AspX / AspY values just below the pixel resolution settings), and set the camera rotation to 45, 0, 45 (x,y,z).
But I don’t really know anything about Ultima Online. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I hadn’t thought of that until last night just before I went to bed. I had noticed another isometric design tool was using 90° for the perspective, which in turn made me think of the aspect ratio being used by the renderer. Using aspect ratios of 100x by 70y it turns out just as it should.

EDIT: But depending on the size of the image, it still may end up with non-straight lines…

Hmm… I need a way to calculate the aspect ratio for 45° lines for any given image size. I can render what I need to render and then crop it, but I have to find a specific image size to render to so that all lines are 45° for each image (obviously the aspect ratio needs to be changed with the different sizes of the image).

I think it does need to be 10/7x, 1y (similar to what you said), but Blender rounds off the extremely long decimal produced by dividing 10/7 (1.4285714285714285714285714285714) to 1.43, which in turn renders the image with some discrepancies. Also, Blender clamps the ratio values to 200 at max, so you can’t simply multiple both ratios by 100000 or something similar.

i find the whole existance of aspect X and Y modifiable fields annoying, but i that probably my problem, not blender’s…

you can use at least 5 significant numbers for your aspect settings… so you can get 142.85x and 100y… does that give you a render without discrepancies?

i find the whole existance of aspect X and Y modifiable fields annoying, but i that probably my problem, not blender’s…
You are not alone :frowning:

so you can get 142.85x and 100y… does that give you a render without discrepancies
Yes, unfortunately it does (I was also aware of this and tried it previously).

In Max is very easy using Camera Correction modifier with the camera.Here a max file example:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/472186/Forums/blenderartists/max/military.zip

I am doing a game, that uses this view. In my case the reference is Nox, a game made by Westwood. For now I am with programming things but I would like to use Blender and know how to get this view too.

I think it’s described in the above posts, although it’s a bit of a puzzle, generally.