Back Me Up addon

BackMeUp.py (111.7 KB)

------>>> MANUAL / USER GUIDE <<<-------

General explanations:

A - Installation

the addon install like every other add-on out here.
watch this gif below if you never did this procedure before.

B - Keymap

by default the back me up pie menu will replace the vanilla [CTRL S] keymap.
If you don’t like it don’t worry just hit [CTRL S]+[S] and it will proceed just like before.
i still offer the possibility to change the shortcut if you want.

Annotation%202019-06-04%20173556

but i highly suggest you to not use the old save function anymore, because the traditional save will not be taken into account with the new "Last Save" Timer and the Save Warning notification will never pop-up.

C - Warning about disabling the addon

if you want to remove the addon you can do it witouth any problem.
But please do not re-enable it within the blender same session.
if you disable it and want to re-enable it right after, please quit blender and relaunch it first, before enabling the addon again.
The active notification system loop, auto-copy and auto-save may break.

D - Warning about unsaved files

a lot of function of back me up are working only if the file is saved somewhere, if you file is brand new and was never saved before, some functions will not work.
Don’t worry tho, you just have to do your first save !

Annotation%202019-06-04%20180549

Annotation%202019-06-04%20180603

E - Warning Pressing 'ESC' while rendering

By default, If you are rendering pressing the ‘ESC’ key will stop your render (duh).
always remember this if you are in the back me up pie menu or the warning pop up.

You can always close the pie with either the ‘RMB’ or ‘ESC’ so please choose wisely.
you can stop this evil behavior in the keymap editor by the way.

F - Some operators are contextual !

Inked74cb7b759fe830bdcb58d31dbf604ad7d59e9103_LI

The upper/lower left button of the pie are contextual.
in the image editor/uv editor, the lower left will become "Quick save an Image Export"
in the 3D view the lower left button will become "Quick save an Mesh Export" and the upper left “Quick save as Collection copy
in the text editor, the lower left button will become "Quick save a Text Export" and the upper left “Quick save as text copy

Save Operators explanations:

01 - Quick Save

Shortcut: [CTRL S] + [S]

Quick save is the basic save function.

The only differences when comparing to the normal blender default save function is that every time you quick save, it will update the “Last Save” Timer, and give you a clear notification that your file has been saved.

Annotation%202019-06-04%20183438
Annotation%202019-06-04%20183555

if the file was never saved before, the Quick save operator will be replaced by a “First Save!” which is basically a “save as”.
Annotation%202019-06-04%20180549

You can use the old saving system if you want but the Last Save Timer will not work, same for the Save Warning Pop-up.

02 - Quick Save Versions Slider

The save version slider is a vanilla feature from blender, not a lot of people know about it.

it basically save a copies of your .blend every time you do a quick save.

Annotation%202019-06-04%20200224

dssd
at zero, no copies are created, but if i set the slider to 3, everytime you save, a version 1, 2 and 3 will be created. The problem is that a majority of people save too frequently and thoses files became quickly useless. Fortunatlely you can disable the manual quick save and enable auto-save every n minutes, this will make this functionality more useful.

03 - Disable Manual Quick save

Shortcut: [CTRL S] + [U]

Sometimes you don’t want to save by mistake.

Hitting [CTRL S]+[U] or clicking on the off button wil enable/disable quick save.
u

04 - Save As

Shortcut: [CTRL S] + [A]

it is the vanilla blender save as function, nothing more.

Annotation%202019-06-04%20202032

05 - Quick save a Copy

Shortcut: [CTRL S] + [C]

Quick save a copy will quickly save a copy of your file, by default in a new folder located in your master file folder.

A screenshot of your active window will be taken automatically during the action.

copy
Annotation%202019-06-04%20202930
in the preferences editor, you can enable/disable the automatic screenshot creation, and set a new location for your copies.

saving a copy will set the “Last Copy” timer active.

Annotation%202019-06-04%20203952

Obviously each copies will take some disk space, so remember to always delete your copies/auto-copies folder when they are not needed anymore.

06 - Quick save as a New Version

Shortcut: [CTRL S] + [V]

Quick save as a New Version, first quickly save your file, then save him with the defined name from the box above.

if the new name is the same as the old one, a suffix system will automatically be set in place, so using this operator by default will incrementaly save your file.

Annotation%202019-06-04%20204055

fupa
Of course you can choose the name of your next future version witouth a problem.

dd
using this this operator will reset your last save and last copy timer.

By default a screenshot of the old version will be created in your master directory, you can enable/disable this functionality if you want in the preferences editor.

ddd

07 - Auto-Copy

Auto-copy will create copies of your work exactly like “Quick save as copy” every n minutes automatically, by default in a new folder in the master folder emplacement.

The Minutes/copy timer can be changed on the fly but you will need to wait for the active timer to cool down before the next one start.

Auto-copy have its own timer and counter, you can easely check when your next copy is going to be created and how many already are.

Annotation%202019-06-04%20211219
Annotation%202019-06-02%20011650
you can enable/disable the message that pop up on every automatic actions if you want in the preferences editor.

you can also choose a custom path for your copies.

Obviously each copies will take some disk space, so remember to always delete your copies/auto-copies folder when they are not needed anymore.

Disabling and re-enabling Auto-copy witouth waiting a bit that the active timer cool down will cause some minor problem, but there’s no reason to do so.

08 - Auto-Save

Auto-save will save your work automatically every n minutes.
Auto-save save your file like you expect to do so, not through an obscure save back up file in your tmp folder like the vanilla auto-save.

Annotation%202019-06-04%20225558
Auto-save will give you a notification when blender is saving.

you can combine auto-save with the save version sliders, it’s a nice combo.

you can enable/disable the message that pop up on every automatic actions if you want in the preferences editor.

Disabling and re-enabling Auto-save witouth waiting a bit that the active timer cool down will cause some minor problem, but there’s no reason to do so.

09 - Save Warning Pop-up

by default, if you didn’t save your file for 20 minutes, a banner will pop up, asking you to save / save and copy / save and switch to a new version / if you don’t want to see this banner anymore.

this banner will appear only if there is a "Last Save" timer active.

the only way to escape is by hitting the “ESC” key.

Annotation%202019-06-01%20231508

you can disable/enable this notification system in the pref menu, or by hitting [CTRL S] + [M]

Annotation%202019-06-04%20230858
Annotation%202019-06-04%20230835

This menu is persistent, and a normal click outside will not make him disappear, you can either hit the ‘ESC’ key or the ‘RMB’, if you are rendering i obviously advice you to NOT click on the ‘ESC’ key.

10 - Open Menu

Shortcut: [CTRL S] + [O]

will pop the file header menu

ddd
shortcut example: [CTRL S]+[O]+[I orE] = import / export

i advice you to don’t use the old save operator anymore.

11 - Save & Reload

Shortcut: [CTRL S] + [P]

“save & reload” will save and reload your file

ddddd

12 - Launch Master Folder

Shortcut: [CTRL S] + [F]

“Launch Master Folder” will quickly launch your master folder, the folder where your current .blend is located

dddddddddd

13 - Quick Printscreen

Shortcut: [CTRL S] + [Q]

“Quick Printscreen” will create a quick screenshot of your blender window in a new folder by default in the master folder emplacement.

In the pref editor you can choose another target location, and enable/disable the automatic opening of the folder right after the action.

Q

14 - Quick Link

Shortcut: [CTRL S] + [L]

"Quick link" will quickly replace the selected object by a link of itself from a newly created file.

l

in the pref editor you can choose another target location, and enable/disable the automatic opening of the folder right after the action.

14 - Quick Save Render

Shortcut: [CTRL S] + [R]

"Quick Save Render" will automatically save all your current render slots in a new folder located by default in your master folder location.

ddd

Annotation%202019-06-04%20010814
in the pref editor you can enable/disable the automatic opening of the new folder and you can set a new custom folder location.

By default the name of the exported renders will be composed of the slot number and the current date in Year/Month/Days- Hours/Minutes/Seconds. you can choose to disable the date in the pref editor, if you do the name will be only the number of the slot, and if there is already the same number present in the folder it will overwrite.

15 - Quick Save a Collection Copy

Shortcut: [CTRL S] + [D]

“Quick Save as Collection Copy” will automatically save all your 3D viewport selection in a new collections with the current Date/Time.
Creating Different versions of your work is super easy and embedded into your file with this method.
The collection by default will be hidden from the viewport

GF
desfq

This operator is contextual, and will only appear in a 3D viewport or an outliner.

be aware that ctrl-z will not ignore the making of theses collections.

16 - Quick Save a Text Copy

Shortcut: [CTRL S] + [D]

Quick Save a Text Copy” Save your active text as a copy.
Really handy for scripters who want a back up of their text embedded in the .blend.

te

This operator is contextual, and will only appear in a Text editor.

17 - Quick Save an Export

Shortcut: [CTRL S] + [E]

Quick Save a Export” is one of the most powerful operator of back me up.
He will save your selection as an export, either an FBX/DAE/ABC/OBJ/GTIF within a fingesnap.

test

in the preferences editor you can choose to export the whole selection as a single file, or batch export (export each files as a separate export).

By default the name of the exported mesh will be composed of either the name of the .blend or the name of the object if you choose batch export, and the current date in Year/Month/Days- Hours/Minutes/Seconds. you can choose to disable the date in the pref editor, if you do and if there is already the same name present in the folder when you export, it will overwrite the old files.

you can choose to use the old method of export instead of the back me up fast export method.

Annotation%202019-06-05%20133609

18 - Quick Save an Image

Quick Save an Image” let you export your image really quickly.

img

in the preferences panel you can choose if you want to open the image file or open the folder directly after the action or not.

you can also choose to use the old method of export instead of the back me up fast export method.

This operator is contextual, and will only appear in an image editor or an uv editor.

19 - Quick Save a Text

Quick Save a Text” let you export your text really quickly.

ef2a32a04155caa66895b66dc88a4235c8941f72_2_1035x628
Annotation%202019-06-04%20025221

in the pref editor, you can choose to automatically add the python extension if he is not already present in your text title, automatically open the folder, automatically create different versions of your script/text on each export (like in the gif above) or automatically open the .txt with your default reader after the action.

dddd

By default the name of the exported text will be composed of the title of the text and the current date in Year/Month/Days- Hours/Minutes/Seconds. you can choose to disable the date in the pref editor, if you do and if there is already the same name present in the folder, when you export, it will overwrite the old text.

you can also choose to use the old method of export instead of the back me up fast export method.

This operator is contextual, and will only appear in a Text editor.

20 - The Timers, Worktime, Time
21 - Choose between a pie or a menu

There’s an option to choose between a pie or a menu in the addon prefs.

15 Likes

Thanks! Looking forward to future mprovements :slight_smile:

1 Like

Version1 is here

-“Quick Save As Copy” now save a screecapture along side your copy for quick evaluation of your work

CAPT step

There is also an auto-copy creation, it is working right now, but i wouln’t recommend using it because it save a copy every 5 seconds :laughing: (for test purpose)

Hey everyone Thats it! Auto-copies are here !
Back me up version 2 is just done

-“Auto-Copy” is here!
its a nice new functionnality that create copies of your file automatically, every X minutes of your choice, once its set, the interval can be still tweaked on the fly

CAPT

• there’s also new messages system, for Auto-copy, Save as copy, and save as collection copy
  • first problem here, last build already break save renderslot, i have no idea why
1 Like

Skipped a release this is Back-Me Up version 4

Lot of changes in the UI
backmeup%20UI%20change

and new functionalities:

• save as on the left is now contextual
    • if you are in the 3D view or outliner , it will be export as FBX format
    • if you are in the image viewer it will be save as image
    • if you are in the text editor it will be save as text
  • save as collection copy is now contextual
    • if you are in the 3D view or outliner , it will be the same save as collection copy
    • if you are in the text editor, it will save the text as a copy, cool for backing up your script work within blender itself :slight_smile:

demo%20contextual

• Auto-Copy get some improvements!

• we now a live counter, that count every copies he made automatically during your session
    • also with a live timer, that tell you in how many minutes the next copy will occur.
  • the new Down menu is improved

• we can see the time, seems useless but trust me its not
    • we have three new “widget” functionalities
      • the first one on the left get your directly to your master folder
      • the second on the middle bring you to the splash screen, which is very handy to open new files, recent one, recover, ect…
      • the last one on the right is save and reload, it save, quit and re-open your file, can be really handy for some peoples, like add-on devs, and when your .blend become a bit slow and need to be closed
    • a new quick rename system is here, quickly set the new name of your file and hit save, its like an ultra quick save as, it save your file in your new defined name into your master folder.

new%20widget

its soon finished, need a new “skip to next version” functionality, maybe ?
will incorporate Auto-Save in the same way i did with Auto-Copy
save as copy also for images, and i want to quickly set up your

Lol nice addon

You should add the new versions to your First post because now this happened

Lol I downloaded each one as I scrolled down, thinking it was a new version, so its best to Edit your first post and add the latest with the label “Latest”

2 Likes

thanks, i will change all of this once i finished the add-on

:joy:Is it possible that save selected object to file ?

export Cylinder (selected object) to file - Cylinder.blender or Cylinder.fbx or Cylinder.obj , etc.

:joy:And save all single object to single file.

export Cylinder.blender and Cube.blender

export Cylinder.fbx and Cube.fbx

:joy:And save selected Collection to file?

export Collection2.blender or Collection2.fbx

Well, export folder also good options . Cylinder folder, Collection2 folder.

yes its possible.

import bpy
import os
blend = bpy.path.basename(bpy.data.filepath)[:-6]

try:
    os.mkdir(os.path.dirname(bpy.data.filepath)+"\\blender export\\")
except: 
    print('directory already created')

try:
    os.mkdir(os.path.dirname(bpy.data.filepath)+"\\blender export\\FBX batch selection export\\")
except: 

Dir = os.path.dirname(bpy.data.filepath) + "\\blender export\\FBX selection export\\"

for ob in bpy.context.selected_objects:
   bpy.ops.export_scene.fbx(filepath= Dir + " " + blend + " " + ob.name +".fbx", use_selection=True, use_mesh_modifiers=True)

this script export every object of your selection into a single Fbx file into a newly created folder in master.

import bpy
import os
blend = bpy.path.basename(bpy.data.filepath)[:-6]

try:
    os.mkdir(os.path.dirname(bpy.data.filepath)+"\\blender export\\")
except: 

try:
    os.mkdir(os.path.dirname(bpy.data.filepath)+"\\blender export\\FBX batch export\\")
except: 

Dir = os.path.dirname(bpy.data.filepath) + "\\blender export\\FBX batch export\\"

bpy.ops.export_scene.fbx(filepath= Dir + " " + blend + " " + ob.name +".fbx", use_selection=True, use_mesh_modifiers=True)

this one export the selection quickly into one fbx file into a new folder in master

but a lot of export addons already do things like that, mine is more of a save all-in one, where i put a “save as” fbx option just there for the sake of it being “contextual”

i could do a “save selection” or “for every object in selection” save in a different .blend but what is the purpose of this ? i don’t understand.

i you reader have other ideas on how i can add more save functionalities please tell me, i’ll put if it is useful to the masses.

Because open large blender file need more time, and also upload and download is too slow.

Large blender file often have all in one model, like paid kitbash collection .

At this time I need make small blender file for every or some object or some collection to one file and their screenshot .

the add-on have already include this script ?

no i don’t think that it have its place here, but you can use it, just copy/paste this text in a text editor and hit “Alt-P”

Thanks your script. I can read , but write. I try change something to fit me.

Auto save is comming !!!
brand new look

2 Likes

Its update time !

V5 have:

• a precise feedback of the Auto-save/copy timer
  • an auto version changer, if the input name is the same as the .blend, the version will update automatically when clicking on the “quick save as” arrow

fh

i hope the gif is clear, im doing multiple actions fast

tomorrow i’ll verify if the auto loop are still active after updating to a new file name, seem weird to me… hmmm

4 Likes

Wow I found that it has already export Selected Objects.

If you have like this kitbash, probably you have requirement for export selected objects.

Blender is too slow for openning this kitbash 216MB file. In C4D fast.

yes that was what i used in the script. but no options to save every asset individually to fbx.
by the way https://devtalk.blender.org/t/fast-import-and-export/7343

i agree, they must solve performance issue

BACK ME UP V6 is here

• added a quick save enable/disable
  • added a better ui and accessibility for the Quick save version, its now really easy to switch to the next version, almost instantly
  • added 3 timing
    • timer from last save
    • timer from last copy
    • timer of the work session, so you can make some pauses sometimes :wink: no more saying im staying behind blender for four hours witouth noticing, like i just did
  • added a quick access shortcut system
    • CTRL SS = quick save
    • CTRL SC = quick copy
    • CTRL SV = quick version change
    • …ect, you get it. ITS UBER FAST, and if you prefer the old ctrl s, or don’t like pies, well, you have the choixe :slight_smile:
  • lot of polishing

note, always do thoses update so laaate. so please don’t cringe if you see some horrible grammar ^^
any feedback? i don’t even know if it work on mac or linux, i heavely use import os

pssssst, the addon will soon be paid, i suggest you pay a close attension to this topic

to do list:

• repair render slot save
  • try to do this god damn auto message pop up system when in an auto loop
  • pop up on reload
  • pop up if chosen name is already there for no erase by mistake ? can i even do this?
  • the export context menu for TEXT and VIEW3D will be GREATLY improve, and uber fast to work with
    • export directly selection to folder, no extra step, by bash or selection, depending on a custom pref menu
  • a new banner/warning system, if you didnt save for XX minutes, a banner will pop, “do you want to save? save as copy? ect”
  • still need to hide collection on creation, and put the new view layer system first
  • context save as copy on text reset the cursor to the end, so annoying!!!
  • quick folder opening for custom folder emplacement, as fast as possible
  • save selection to a new .blend by itself and link it to the actual blend
3 Likes

Back me up V7 is here and it bring cool features ! really cool features!

5cec371cd6fe1437429710

• launch custom determined folder in an instant
    • either click on the icon folder and click again on your folder of choice
    • or use the shortcut [CTRL S] + F + F for example to directly go to your master blend folder
    • you can customize the name and the path of your folder in the addon pref panel !
  • launch custom webpage in an instant
    • same as the above menu, access it either by clicking on the icon
    • or hit [CTRL S] + I + I and you will go to a nice page that you need to follow (please ;-)?)
    • again, customize your webpages url in the pref panel
  • new items in the up menu:
    • quick launch user prep with t [CTRL S] + U
    • quick launch a new window with [CTRL S] + W
    • quick do a screenshot with [CTRL S] + Q
    • the link icon is on work, it will save your selection in another .blend and link it

so basically i needed an operator for launching the user to the my future product page with guides/support, i aslo created an operator that launch the user directly to the master folder… that was really handy so i made some advance functionalities out of it.
im trying to not go out of the saving subject for now.

Please tell me if you want more folder/web emplacement, we could go to 10 if its getting popular.
also, i still don’t know if it work on mac or not

have a nice evening !
i still need to work on this quick render slot save by the way

3 Likes