I found an old grass generation blend I made a while ago. grass gets procedurally generated on a mesh in realtime.
The way I had it, the grass material had disabled backface culling. That worked fine in the viewport player. Last night I played the game in the standalone player and suddenly all the grass had back face culling. I exited the standalone player and now all the grass in the viewport had backface culling regardless of whether I disabled the option on the material or not. I even went and made a new material and disabled the option and still there was backface culling.
I am using Linux and UPBGE 0.2.4 but I never had this issue on windows.