Background image crash

Hello everyone. I am really new to blender, but not so new to photoshop etc. I am having blender crash when trying to use a jpg image in the background. I hit the ‘view’ button and then select ‘background image’ and it takes me to the browser page. From there I can locate the image in the picture folder, and I can highlight it. When I hit the ‘select image’ button, a windows frame pops up saying that ‘blender.exe’ cannot run and windows is looking for a solution, and the whole program stops there.
When I load the image in any other software it loads fine, so there is nothing inherently wrong with the image. In fact, it is the ’ Yellow submarine image’ from the blender beginners course.
Can anyone help?

Thanks … Sam

I hit the ‘view’ button and then select ‘background image’ and it takes me to the browser page.
What version of blender are you using. This selection method sounds like blender 2.49.

Thanks Rich, I can’t seem to find the version in the help tab, where should I look?

Hi Everyone,
I have just downloaded the latest release V 2.63. I hope this solves the problem. I’ll let everyone know.

Thanks … Sam

Hi Guys, Just an update … Changing to the latest version, solved my problem.

But many of you already knew it would !!!

Thanks again.
Sam