Background Image

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you set a background image in Blender 2.33a? In 2.25, you press Shift F7, and if you load a file with a background image into 2.33a, the background image appears, but I have not been able to figure out how to set it in 2.33a.

In the 3D View window, click View.

Thank you. I have done several tutorials written for Blender 2.25 on 2.32, and I sometimes had to do quite a bit of looking for the button described in 2.25. Setting the background image as something was one thing that I had not been able to figure out.

Is it possible to set a movie as the background texture, so that it will advance frame-by-frame as you advance your .blend file’s frames?

Yes

Load image type texture, click the Movie button under image, load your movie file, and set the frames length data.

i don’t think that that is what he ment! As far as i know you can’t make a movie for background images if you mean you want to use them for templates as you model! To load a background image: in the 3d window click on view and then use background image load the image you want to use! Sorry if you did mean for backgrounds in a render!

i have often thought it would be a cool feature.

You can - I’ve done it before, rotoscoping an animation over a video background. As mentioned above, load the video as a texture somewhere in blender so you have a texture block in Blender containing your video and the correct start/end frame settings… To do this, just load an image texture connected to a material, lamp, world, whatever, and click ‘Movie’. The texture doesn’t need to actually be linked to an object (just as long as this texture block is available inside Blender), so you can unlink it from your model, world, etc after it’s all set up.

Once you have the texture existing in Blender, you can then load it up in the Background Image panel using the Texture: databrowse. Depending on the codec, you can then step through the frames with the left and right arrows - the frame of the video wil update with the current frame in Blender. AVI Raw works perfectly, others I tried like DivX, QuickTime MPEG4 don’t - possibly because of inter-frame compression.

:smiley: @ Broken. Never had the need for it but nice to know!

%<

Thank you very much! That will be extremely helpful. It is a perfect example of something that is easy one you know how to do it, but that I would probably not have figured out myself.

Hi. I have been trying to put live video into Blender, but have been having problems. I captured with my camcorder and uploaded it to my pc with Movie Maker 2. When I load the video as a texture you have to use .avi, right? So, in Movie Maker I saved the cropped video in the “DV-AVI (NTSC)” format. Then when I try to load it in Blender, it says “ERROR: Not an anim”. Am I saving the video wrongly, because I was told Movie Maker 2 can be used to save the videos to be used in Blender. Thanks.

-Laurifer

Movie Maker 2 will not work for exporting to avi unless I have missed something. My version just wants to export to wmv or an avi with some strange codec. (That’s the DV part of DV-AVI. It’s not a straight avi file.) Since I do not have a digital video camera, I cannot help too much, but I would look for some free software to convert dv video to raw avi. Then use VirtualDub to convert the raw avi to a slightly less hard drive intensive format. (Such as DivX.) Blender will definately open raw (uncompressed) avi files, and will probably load a DivX under Windows. (Under Linux it might be a bit of an ordeal.)

Sorry, I misread the question earlier. It is possible to load movies as “textures”. I think you can load them as a background image, but not sure. If you can’t, you can save them as a series of stills that will advance. That is basically what Ter2Blend does.

Blender should be able to load a file with the .AVI extension as long as the correct CODEC is loaded. Will a Movie Maker created .avi (DV-AVI) file play in a non-Microsoft media player. Movie Maker seems to be heavy on the windows media player format. It looks like Movie Maker has some built in compression based on the bit rate. Real DV is about 3.6Mbps. Anything slower is compressed. You might be better off using Virtual Dub to render your movies for use in Blender.

Check around here for some detailed information on video and options:
http://www.videohelp.com/

Blender does not support reading DV AVIs. Your best bet for compatibility is uncompressed AVI, Motion JPEG AVI, or a TGA/PNG/etc. frame sequence.