Background Image

Hello.
I am very new to Blender.
I am trying to place a Background Image. Following along with the instructions I have searched for in this forum has not worked.

Here’s what I’m doing… (from the start)

1. File New > Erase All
  2. I go to Front View (Num Pad 1)
  3. I select Background Image… from the <View> popup at the bottom of the window
  4. In the Background Image palette, I activate the “Use Background Image” button
  5. From the options now available in the Background Image palette, I select the “Image” folder icon and navigate to the image on my hard drive.
  6. I select the image and press “Select Image”
    6a. I see that the palette is showing the path to the background image but…

Where is my background image?
It shows in the Background Image palette, but is nowhere to be seen!

I believe I have followed along with the instructions found in this forum for this simple thing. Why does it not work? :confused:

Background images only show up in the front, side, and top views. Press numpad 1, 3, or 7 to see the image.

Following what I’ve written, hopefully you can see that I am in Front view.
The background image is not there.

I have tried viewing in Textured, Shaded, Solid, Wireframe, Bounding Box… the image does not appear. In Front View. (or any other View (top, etc))

I am using Blender v2.42 on OSX 10.3.9 and am using a .jpg for this reference.
I can use this .jpg as a UV texture successfully (no issues with the image format, etc)

It also only shows up in Orthographic view- you must be in perspective. I really am starting to wonder why the background viewer is so limited…

Thank you very much.
This does seem like an odd implementation.

For clarification in the future (and searching)…
To View a Background Image

1. Make sure you’re in Orthographic View :
(Numpad 5 = toggle Orthographic/Perspective Views)
2. Go to Front View (Num Pad 1)
3. Select Background Image… from the <View> popup at the bottom of the window
4. In the Background Image palette, activate the “Use Background Image” button
5. From the options in the Background Image palette, select the “Image” folder icon and navigate to the image on your hard drive.
6. Select the image (RMB) and press “Select Image”

Your background image will now be viewable in Top, Frront and Side Windows only.

Note: You can have different background images for different 3D view windows. (To split your windows, move your cursor over the edges of the window. When the cursor changes to a hand, RMB and select “Split Area”. A Dividing Rule will appear, allowing you to “split” the existing window.) From your new window, simply select the view you wish to use.

As addition you can add background image at Camera view as well.

ranXerox,

Make sure your image is JPEG.

PNG or TIFF (I think it’s PNG) images have transparency and Blender will not show these images.