Backgrounds and scenery

I’ve seen alot of renders with backgrounds and changed colors to like the sky and so. How do I do this? Do i have to make a large cube and put my objects inside it to make a room or are there some settings where i can change this, because i want a space background with stars and such (probably small icospheres that emits alot of light) but still, i dont know how to make the background black and neither i know how i could make smoke and i need to know how to duplicate objects. Can anyone help me with this?

EDIT: Never mind, found out how to change background color >.< but i still dont know how i would make smoke or duplicate stuff.

Hi,
You can set the background in the world settings, F8-button. There you can change the background to one of |blend|paper|real| or all of those, change the blending type, and give a texture to the world background.

If you give it a texture, you give it like to a material. Then if you want it to be show completely, dont use “blend” and use real and/or paper… then in the world settings’ texture imput use “horizon” and “zenup”/“zendown”… Cant quite remember it, but just try tweaking those texture imput settings and look at the small preview box and you will get it right :stuck_out_tongue: .

Thanks for the info :slight_smile: but does anyone know how to duplicate objects?

You can duplicate objects using shift+d (object/duplicate). If you want to make a linked duplicate, use alt+d (object/duplicate linked). This way if you modify the original mesh, the duplicated one will have the same changes. Duplicated one can be made independent by using object/make single user.

Thanks! Adding stars are now no trouble :wink:

Alt + D duplicats an object with linked user data so if you change one object and the other duplicates change as well and
Shift + D duplicates Object with no linked user data so if you change the duplicated object only that object changes.

Hope this helps.

There is another method called dupliverts that is a little more involved…

http://www.blender3d.org/documentation/htmlI/x9867.html

http://dev.newmediaworx.com/johnnyb/bplanet/tut_dupliverts.htm

You can also do backgrounds, say for an animation, with compositing. Just like in the movies, you shoot the various actors and movements “against a blue screen,” and then you composite foreground and background together. Which is very nice because, if the camera isn’t moving, the background is a single frame, rendered once.

The actual technique uses the AlphaOver/AlphaUnder filters in the Sequence Editor, and a simple “search” on this forum will tell you all about it.