Backwards compatibility from 2.8 -> 2.49b questions

Hello there!

What I’d like to accomplish:
A practical workflow for exporting work from 2.8 to 2.49b version of Blender because 2.49b is the last version with fully functional nif import/export scripts. I need the nif scripts for a project I’m working on. I have completely fallen in love with 2.8’s UI and doing things that would take me hours in 2.49b takes me like 10-20 min in 2.8… What I’m really trying to accomplish is trying to get a cave tileset’s pieces I sculpted from 2.8 to 2.49b while preserving its blended (gradient) textures which look amazing in 2.8 right now. So I really need some help in getting a workflow process between the two.

What I’ve figured out so far:

• Direct .blend file saves going from 2.8 to 2.49b don’t seem to work (wasn’t really expecting them to). Even with just primitive meshes nothing seems to open up in 2.49b from 2.8.
  • 2.49b doesn’t support n-gons so everything has to be converted to polys, no biggie… the game engine I’m using doesn’t support n-gons either.
  • The new node-based texturing processes in 2.6-2.8 won’t work in 2.49b and especially not for nif export so I’d need to go back to the old tried and true vertex groups being assigned a material route.

What I need to know:

• Is there an export format I can import into 2.49b that will preserve texturing so I can avoid the whole retexturing issue?

• If that doesn’t work, is there an export format that will preserve the vertex groups so at least I don’t have to reselect and reassign everything in 2.49b? Or at the very least preserve the UV unwrapping? That’s going to be a tremendous time hurdle for me.