bad 2D image interpolation

i’m reluctant to post a feature request in the blender forums, since i might be missing something. please help me out here for a second.

when i display an image in the UV editor or as a backdrop in the node editor, blender always uses nearest neighbor interpolation to zoom, which looks terrible. comparing it to the same image at 100% zoom, but scaled in the compositor using the “transform” node, the difference becomes striking. i can’t believe i’m the first one to recognize this flaw, so i’m assuming there’s something i overlooked. is there an option to choose scaling interpolation somewhere? in an ideal blender world, it should be possible to select the algorithm independently for the UV viewer and each node that performs distortion, as is only possible for the “transform” node as of now. the “scale” node uses bilinear interpolation, but i’m missing features like sinc/lanczos or this algorithm.

unless someone here tells me how to change the scaling algorithm, i’ll post a feature request in a few days.
cheers and happy holidays!

ps. upon request i can offer example screenshots.

there was no request yet, but i’ll post the screenshot anyway, because an image speaks more than a thousand words.
please notice the ugly jagged edges that appear with nearest neighbor interpolation, as well as in the UV editor when zooming, in contrast to the pleasing look achieved with bilinear interpolation.
i’d love to hear from a few people whether the ugly scaling occurs with them too.

please excuse the paint-style annotations on the screenshot, i’m on my dad’s PC, no gimp here.

Attachments

i’vesubmitted a bug now concerning this problem.
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=33696&group_id=9&atid=498
Ton answered, saying he’d look into it.