Badly Need Help to Reduce Number of Polygons with out reducing quality in the Blend

Hello all,

We are using Blender as a tool to do Virtual Environment Simulation Project ( http://csrc.tamu-commerce.edu/projs/vrtrain )

We are currently facing Blender Game engine performance problem due to large number of polygon count in the objects. We are unable to reduce polygon count in this blend file ( http://www.pasteall.org/blend/5867 ) with out reducing the reality , with out seeing faces of the mesh.

We are looking for a way to low poly mesh with proper texture ( smooth surface is appreciated).

Please help us in this model.

Thanks
VR Developing Team
TAMU-C

ok, so you have uv mapped the image on to the object

i am confused - i don’t see why a simple object like that needs so many faces…

you could get the same effect with quite a low poly object

the detail is coming from the applied image and not from the object itself…

No offense, but what are you doing?
Without reducing the reality? - If that looks remotely like a realistic cucumber to you I am really frightened.
What are the requirements of this model?
And how can you start a project without planing ahead? Usually one informs how many polys an engine can handle and then creates the content accordingly, not create assests and then repair the damage of a lack in planning - after all it is a university project, I’d have expected a certain degree of professionalism.

The geometry amount is beyond ridiculous.
The cucumber looks nothing like a cucumber, is´s geometrical perfect capsule and lightyears away from reality.
The texture isn´t mapped properly.

Making a cucumber like that takes about 2 minutes at most - I hope you didn´t pay anyone for it.

How many objects need “fixing” anyways?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Its not a simple as it has to have inner features of the cucumber also because, along with the whole object, we are also in need to show the cut parts. Any tips in reducing polygons are appreciated.

thanks again

Hi Arexna,

We completely understand what you said.

We are currently learning from our mistakes.

This is the only object with very high number of polygons.

We need to have the cut parts also ( both in animation and in BGE ).

Any tips in reducing polygons is appreciated.

Thanks

I see, so you need a destrcutible model of the cucumber - I think I know where this is going.
Is it only a single cut or are there many cuts making thin slices?

If latter is the case the only way would be to fake it.
You´d have to have a big cucumber, and then shapekey it, as if it would be cut into slices, and add slices simply as simple polygons with a texture on it.
Thats the only way. If you intend to visualize this with geometry no engine in this world will be able to handle it.

good point here

what are the limits for BGE ?

That depends on the reference system. The limits are different for a 486 with a GeForce4 and a Ci7 with a GTX590.
If there are no reference tables supplied, one simply tries and keeps an eye on a decent framerate.

any rough estimation may be

like do you have to limit vertices count below 100 000 or less
and also use only UV mapping i think no procedural texturing for BGE
ect…

i did not yet begin to heavily use BGE and if i have time this year i will try to learn it
sorry but with all the new things in 2.5 it’s hard to keep up with everything

The texture isn´t mapped properly.

@arexma - to map the texture properly, one would need more images of the cucumber, eg the end views - is that correct?

I´d go with projection painting. A cucumber texture isn´t really exact science.
If you got 2 or 3 nice images of a cucumber, use them to projection paint, the blending between the textures will work good enough not to jump ones eye, but the stretching the above cucumber has going on is bad.
3 images should suffice for projection painting, one where you see the side full texture of the cucumber, one where you see at least 1 end, and one where you see a sliced piece.

@ricky:
sorry, I can´t even guesstimate without lying :smiley: or in other words… I do not know. So I remain silent rather than making up crap… I haven´t done anything project like in the BGE yet. Better ask in the BGE subforums, or PM Endi, I guess he´s rather familiar with it. And you should be able to use procedural textures, but they have to be UV mapped.
Rasterization engines of any kind need uvw mapping, but don´t mix terms.
Procedural has nothing to do with the mapping method, it is the texture information creation.
You can create the content of the image procedural, paint it, render it back from a scene (mirror, surveilance camera in a game).
You can map a texture UV, or object based, screen based.