Bake is really low quality and i dont know why

So basically i havent done a lot of Baking so i dont have much idea.

but basically i have this super complicated stadium with a LOT of textures. and so the UV’s pieces are tiny.

I used a 4k UV for a 4K [4096x2] base. textures are procedural AND 4k textures. On render and viewport they look beautiful.

But on baking they look like complete low quality filth. i thought of using tiling but even at full usage of UV space with tiling of textures, its somewhat lower quality.

And its for a 2015 built Unity based game called Cities Skylines, it cant support more than 4K texture anyway [cant go 8k for that reason].

Any help? I pushed the light path settings of diffuse to 12 and rest to 6 or 0.

Are you trying to bake an entire stadium in a 4k texture? I hope the model doesn’t need to be seen from a human level perspective, because that’s going to stretch the resolution really thin.

When baking a texture, the final result is going to be constrained to the resolution of the final image, So if you were using procedural or tiling textures before, they will get constrained to the new resolution and receive a visual downgrade. If I had to bake a texture for an entire building, I would make that building out of reusable pieces and include each piece type only once in the texture to save on space.

Alternatively, maybe I would texture the building with multiple tiling textures and create variation by blending between them with masks.

3 Likes

there’s not much parts for reusability. especially the parts that need the highest quality.

and not sure i understand the multiple tiling thing.

when stadium or building assets like this are made to be sold on say hum3d, how are they baked? Because this stadium i made, its the only accurate 3D model of it on the internet. both me and my buyer scouted for months. i want to upload it on those sites for selling.

A quick search on google for 3D stadiums gives me mostly untextured models (probably because of how hard stadiums are to texture), but the ones that are seem to be using tiling textures. Honestly, tiling textures (or procedural) are probably the only way to get the required resolution on something that large.

If you are making a realistic building, tiling textures are great, but they bring a problem: they don’t allow variations or imperfections and this can look unrealistic. One way to counter this is by making 2 slightly different versions of the same texture and have each one appear on different parts of the model (a third, non-tiling texture decides where each one appears). That’s a technique that’s often used for landscapes with multiple materials, though I’m not sure if it would work in your situation, you need extra textures for it and you also need to re-create the setup if you export to an other software.

Ex. let’s say you want to make a brick building and you want to make the bottom of the walls dirty. You would use 2 tiling brick textures: a normal one and a modified one that’s been made dirty. Then, you assign those 2 textures to the model with a mix node. In the factor of that mix node, you plug a 3rd, black and white texture that will decide where each type of brick will show. You can then go into texture painting and paint that black and white texture so the dirty brick shows up more to the bottom of the wall.

Maybe a tutorial will be a better explanation than text.

1 Like

You need to think about texture density here- let’s say your stadium holds 40,000 people (that’s a fairly average sized stadium, pretty much every college football stadium in the US seats 40k). I’m going to use the dimensions of Reser Stadium in Corvallis, Oregon (I’m not a big sports guy but I like the Beavers). It’s- very roughly- 600 by 300 feet, not counting height. 180,000 square feet, let’s say. It’s also probably 100 feet high, and while it’s not a cube, you need pretty consistent texture across the field, seats, etc. Let’s say that gives a grand total of 18,000,000 cubic feet. (This gets into some weird topology that isn’t worth enumerating, but you need to be able to texture all the faces of a cube, and this is still a topological cube, just heavily distorted)

If you have a 4096x4096 texture, you’ve got 16,777,226 pixels to work with. That means you have just about 1 pixel per square foot. (We can safely switch to 2D now for reasons that are long and uninteresting) A human is about 2 feet wide and 6 feet tall.That’s 12 square feet. Each human will have 12 pixels total to work with- say 4x3. That’s absurdly low resolution. This is why you need to tile- you physically can’t fit that level of detail in a 4K texture otherwise.

Here’s a different way to look at it- to texture 40,000 humans (not counting any of the stadium) with a 4K texture, each human gets 400 pixels- say 33x12. This is better (although it doesn’t count any of the stadium), but that’s still super pixelated

3 Likes

so, 8k? quadruple the size?

@etn249 https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/tottenham-football-stadium-3d-model-1439664

this seems textured?

No, my point was that there’s not a texture large enough to represent the amount of detail you have. 8K would mean you have 8x6 pixels per person. The only solution here is to tile

but it then wont have variation, as i understand it?

i just checked the link i just posted and it self my stadium is significantly higher quality than that

That stadium is barely textured- it’s just the grass and the billboards, none of the seats or any parts of the inside are textured (it actually doesn’t come with seats at all, but that’s a side note)

The one you linked seems textured entirely with tiling textures, where there are any textures at all. Nothing baked here.

1 Like

@etn249 @josephhansen

sorry i meant this one. https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-tottenham-football-stadium-1426713

To texture 40,000 seats individually, with visible pixelation but still have some detail- say, 128x128, you will need a baked texture 25600x25600 in size. To texture a whole stadium at this size, with visible pixelation, you’ll need a texture 48000x48000 pixels- a texture of which your 4k image will fill all of .7%.

You can’t get around this without tiling because it’s just how pixels work. I can’t explain this any more clearly so I’m out

1 Like

It’s the same stadium, but more complete. It’s also entirely textured with tiling textures (except maybe for the lines on the grass area which likely have their own texture).

2 Likes

Take a look at this model and the renders at the end of the thread, sorry to self promote, the point is that the entire texture folder is under 6 megas:

Tile, Tile, Tile and when you are done tile a bit more!

2 Likes

I’ll suggest looking into either utilizing a texture atlas or trim sheets plus moar relevant info surfacing large complex objects.

Edit:
Anyway, perhaps at this point probably worthwhile thinking about whether it’s feasible too even continue?!

For an experienced texture artist, this project would present a fair old challenge let alone someone walking in blind without a clue…

5 Likes

Totally agreeing:

But there’re are plenty of solutions, depending of what you got to bake and how much info is related to each face to be baked… Not to mention the need to know ‘for what purpose’.

Baking information into textures and later use that information for shading the render is a nice way.

Multiple (and good) UVS; Object and Instance properties are usefull.

Materials just for producing those textures can be created easily.

Sometimes Python is your friend, and Numpy your best ally.

And you must know if the render you’re using can accept the expected baked information.

its nearly done anyway…

loved the challenge though. this one project thought me more things than any other project did, mostly out of necessity

Nice! stepping beyond ones comfort zone typically brings certain pinch points into sharp focus albeit
“Who Dares Wins” :sunglasses:

(lol…beg my pardon, really couldn’t resist tha cheese)